Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Factory Toyota Bilsteins vs. After market HD Bilsteins

Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
shaniac is on a distinguished road

shaniac's Tacoma Gallery
Factory Toyota Bilsteins vs. After market HD Bilsteins

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with the TRD package and my truck came with Bilstein shocks with a Toyota label on them. I contacted Bilstein and according to them, the only way I can replace my shocks with the set that came from the factory is to go through Toyota. When I spoke with a sales rep at Bilstein, the HD Shocks are the closest match to the original equipment however the valving is different. Now I am not interested in paying double for a set of shocks by going through Toyota and was wondering if anyone has replaced their Toyota Bilsteins with a set of after market Bilstein HD Shocks. If so, how is the ride compared to the Original Toyota Bilsteins?

Thanks for any and all responses.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
just get the 5100's they are great!
x1000,night and day differance.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #4

shaniac's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info but I am on a tight budget and I am having to replace my tires and my shocks and I am already going to poor some money into Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's. Right now I am looking to put a good quality inexpensive shock that closely replaces the ones that came on the truck from the factory. The Bilstein HD shocks are the cheapest shock that closely resembles what I currently had, which are Toyota Bilsteins. I know the valving is different, I was hoping someone on this site switched to the exact same shocks and what the ride quality was like.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaniac View Post
Thanks for the info but I am on a tight budget and I am having to replace my tires and my shocks and I am already going to poor some money into Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's. Right now I am looking to put a good quality inexpensive shock that closely replaces the ones that came on the truck from the factory. The Bilstein HD shocks are the cheapest shock that closely resembles what I currently had, which are Toyota Bilsteins. I know the valving is different, I was hoping someone on this site switched to the exact same shocks and what the ride quality was like.
Actually Because of their Popularity, the 5100s are cheaper than the yellow body HD shocks. And they are a better shock.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gotcha,but u get what u pay for.so when u put the work "cheapest" in a sentence thats what your going to get.good luck to ya .hope u find the right ones.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #7

shaniac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
Actually Because of their Popularity, the 5100s are cheaper than the yellow body HD shocks. And they are a better shock.

I have hit several websites: Tire Rack, Summit Racing, Performance; they all sell the 5100's higher than the yellow body HD's. I will check locally to see what they have to offer. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
i was thinking of the 5100s too...i just have the regular toyo shocks...not the bilsteins....but the regular ones seem great...ride is super smooth...i been thinking of gettting the 5100s front and rear and setting the front to 1.75" to level the truck out a bit....any thoughts on this?...is it worth it?...or like when you level your truck and haul something in the back does the nose stick up in the air?...lol
Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have hit several websites: Tire Rack, Summit Racing, Performance; they all sell the 5100's higher than the yellow body HD's. I will check locally to see what they have to offer. Thanks.
check wheelers off road or downsouth motorsports.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #10

shaniac's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I just got off the phone with Bilstein and they only make the rear shocks and not the front shocks in the 5100 series for a 2000 Tacoma....so I suppose I am stuck with the Bilstein HD's if I want to stick with Bilstein...Thanks for all the info and if anybody has had any experience with the HD's on their Tacoma, I'd still like to hear feedback.

Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, I just got off the phone with Bilstein and they only make the rear shocks and not the front shocks in the 5100 series for a 2000 Tacoma....so I suppose I am stuck with the Bilstein HD's if I want to stick with Bilstein...Thanks for all the info and if anybody has had any experience with the HD's on their Tacoma, I'd still like to hear feedback.

Thanks again.
Bistein doesn't know what they are talking about.

Why don't you give us a call or email?

I can get you going out the door today!!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #13

shaniac's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, so now I am really confused. I called Bilstein back and asked if they ever made the 5100's for my year and model of truck and the sales rep said no. I told them that I have run across several websites that state they carry the 5100's for the 2000 Tacoma 4x4 and the sales rep passed me to someone in production and he told me the same thing; that they have never produced a 5100 for a Tacoma before 2005 and that the only thing they carry that will fit my truck, without alterations, is the regular yellow body HD Shocks.
With that said, it makes me leary because on one hand you have the company that manufactures these shocks telling me that they do not make the 5100's for a 2000 Tacoma and on the other I have found several sites that state they do carry them.

YotaDan, can you tell me if the 5100's you carry fit the 2000 stock mounts or is there any alterations that need to be done to make them fit?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
sorry but that is wrong. I installed 5100's on a 03 about 4weeks back, no alterations. I know there are atleast 15+ people here with them on their truck. the part number is: BE5-D558-T0
Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kyle
99tacosupreme's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking to put some 5100s on all four corners of my 99 prerunner. I would like to raise the front up to 1.75 to level out the truck. Is there any modifications that I would need to do in order to swap the 5100s for the stock bilstiens?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how different the 5100's are but when I had the 5125's mated to the stock rear leafs, it was to much. I went and got brand new yellow TRD Bilstein's from a dealership instead. I will wait for a new leaf pack before I re-install the 5125's.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
DownSouth Motorsports FTMFW

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html

Use this promo code when buying to receive your TW discount "BIL0509"....and the "0" are Zeros
Old 09-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #18
530to707 is on a distinguished road

530to707's Tacoma Gallery
Are the 5100's a good choice for me if I dont have a lift? Do i need to have a lift to use the 5100's? Any suggestions if these arent for me?

thanks