Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

DIY OME installation???

Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
DIY OME installation???

I saw somewhere on here before, and cant seem to find it now, a thread that showed a step by step process of how you put together a set of after market shocks and coils using a spring compressor. I think it showed how you disassemble the stock ones too. Anyone know of any threads? I searched about 40 pages and couldnt find what I was lookin for.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I'd highly recommend taking the coil assmblies to a garage with a wall mounted spring compresser. Pay them $40 (or whatever) to do it. It'll save you a lot of headaches and maybe an arm or an eye (if you'e lucky).
Especially if they are coils spacers - I'd definately NOT compress the coils at home.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mtrdsport.html

For reference - I typed in: install coils
This is actually a STICKY in the 2nd gen section.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
+3 on taking it to a garage. Took mine to a garage after some reluctance and the shop owner (owned a 2006 Tacoma) said the springs are under 1600lbs of pressure.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
If you haven't gotten the suspension parts yet then consider an outfit called Wheelers Offroad. They sell all the 4x4 stuff you'd need. I got my OME setup from them and they'll compress the springs for you for a reasonable price prior to shipping them out to you.

Anyway, it's the hardest part of the install I hear (I've never done a spring compression myself). The rest is pretty easy..
Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Send me a PM. I did my OME 885's here on base at the hobby shop. If you have time to make the drive I will help you install the lift.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
If you haven't gotten the suspension parts yet then consider an outfit called Wheelers Offroad. They sell all the 4x4 stuff you'd need. I got my OME setup from them and they'll compress the springs for you for a reasonable price prior to shipping them out to you.

Anyway, it's the hardest part of the install I hear (I've never done a spring compression myself). The rest is pretty easy..
I wouldn't call Wheelers "reasonable" really. If you have no ability to do anything for yourself- Maybe. But you are paying for replacement parts that are EXPENSIVE and that you don't need.
Doing it yourself isn't really that hard with the right tools. Getting it down at a shop shouldn't cost you more then 40 or 50 bucks at the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Customs View Post
Send me a PM. I did my OME 885's here on base at the hobby shop. If you have time to make the drive I will help you install the lift.
This is the AWESOME!! I helped a buddy get onto the res down here for the auto hobby shop to do some work and it was great. Cost him 20 bucks to install TC arms instead of 200.
Good on you for offering!!!

To the OP- If you can get to a wall mounted spring compressor- Go for it. If it's the independant type-be careful-but you can try. if you know some one who owns a shop-go for it
Old 01-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
LISTEN!! Don't try to do that yourself. You will get KILLED!!!! Take it from me, I nearly had my head blown off by a compressory exploding.
Just kinda seein what my options are, because I dont think a lot of off road shops are open on the weekends here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I'd highly recommend taking the coil assmblies to a garage with a wall mounted spring compresser. Pay them $40 (or whatever) to do it. It'll save you a lot of headaches and maybe an arm or an eye (if you'e lucky).
Especially if they are coils spacers - I'd definately NOT compress the coils at home.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mtrdsport.html

For reference - I typed in: install coils
This is actually a STICKY in the 2nd gen section.
Thanks, that wasnt the thread I was looking for but it is actually better. Just kinda seein what my options are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
+3 on taking it to a garage. Took mine to a garage after some reluctance and the shop owner (owned a 2006 Tacoma) said the springs are under 1600lbs of pressure.
Ya, I want to take them in but the two shops I have been thinking about I dont think are open on Saturdays. I know its a dangerous task.

Quote:

Already got them from Wheelers, I was originally going to have them build them, but I didnt want to pay the $225, which looking back it would have made it easier.

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, thats awesome of you. I think a buddy is gonna help us do it, if not I am gonna save it for the Nor Cal Mod Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I wouldn't call Wheelers "reasonable" really. If you have no ability to do anything for yourself- Maybe. But you are paying for replacement parts that are EXPENSIVE and that you don't need.
Doing it yourself isn't really that hard with the right tools. Getting it down at a shop shouldn't cost you more then 40 or 50 bucks at the worst.

This is the AWESOME!! I helped a buddy get onto the res down here for the auto hobby shop to do some work and it was great. Cost him 20 bucks to install TC arms instead of 200.

To the OP- If you can get to a wall mounted spring compressor- Go for it. If it's the independant type-be careful-but you can try. if you know some one who owns a shop-go for it
A buddy has a nice garage and he says he has a spring compressor, dont know what kind, but he used to be a mechanic in a shop and still does it on the side, so if I go to him he will at least know what he is doing. But ya, I didnt want to spend the $225 to have them assemble them.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
Lots of words....

A buddy has a nice garage and he says he has a spring compressor, dont know what kind, but he used to be a mechanic in a shop and still does it on the side, so if I go to him he will at least know what he is doing. But ya, I didnt want to spend the $225 to have them assemble them.
If he was a mechanic you are probably good to go with whatever he has. Good luck!!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
If he was a mechanic you are probably good to go with whatever he has. Good luck!!
Thats what I was thinking. I'll just stand back when he is messing with the coils
Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine with the rental compressor was pretty easy but you have to be careful
Old 01-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Ya I know you have to be real careful, which is why I wouldnt do this by myself, I am only doing it this way because my buddy works on stuff like this all the time.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
ExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
ExpoSpy's Tacoma Gallery
I have used rental spring compressors a couple times on my 1st gen and now my 2nd gen. Take it slow and you'll be fine. It's a bit of work and it is only easier with air tools.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman1463 View Post
I have used rental spring compressors a couple times on my 1st gen and now my 2nd gen. Take it slow and you'll be fine. It's a bit of work and it is only easier with air tools.
x2

just did mine over the weekend.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bui...als-build.html
Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
I cant wait, shitty thing is it is raining and supposed to rain for the next week But I think my buddy has a pretty roomy garage
Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Quote:

What is your life worth?
Wheelers (or paying any qualified person to do it for you) will seem like a real bargain compared to the loss of your eyesight or even your life.

"On November 15, 1993, Jay sustained permanent eye and neurological injuries as a result of being struck in the face by a strut coil spring assembly which escaped during compression from a model T40187C strut spring compressor machine manufactured by Moog. Jay was working as an automotive mechanic for Jensen Goodyear automotive repair shop in Omaha and, at the time of the accident, had over 11 years of automotive mechanic experience. He had previously used other strut spring compressors but had never used a Moog compressor prior to November 15."
http://www.napil.com/PersonalInjuryCaseLawDetail32410.htm
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
spiceman will become famous soon enough

Navy: Engineer
spiceman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have used the wall mounted spring compressor at the hobby shop twice. It did not seem too dangerous to me. I don't see how the spring could escape but I guess the thing could break. I just took it slow and made sure I was being careful. Hobby Shops are great.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #20
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What is your life worth?
Wheelers (or paying any qualified person to do it for you) will seem like a real bargain compared to the loss of your eyesight or even your life.

"On November 15, 1993, Jay sustained permanent eye and neurological injuries as a result of being struck in the face by a strut coil spring assembly which escaped during compression from a model T40187C strut spring compressor machine manufactured by Moog. Jay was working as an automotive mechanic for Jensen Goodyear automotive repair shop in Omaha and, at the time of the accident, had over 11 years of automotive mechanic experience. He had previously used other strut spring compressors but had never used a Moog compressor prior to November 15."
http://www.napil.com/PersonalInjuryCaseLawDetail32410.htm

This is a ridiculous excuse for not doing something.....because guess what- Leading cause of death is being born. Everyday life is dangerous. Wake up and walk out the door- You are at risk of death.

So your "qualified person" (like the plantiff in that case law) is better off doing it than I am?? He managed to hurt himself doing it. So you'd rather pay someone else to get hurt?? And never mind the number of people who do this every day and don't get hurt.

I have a healthy respect for 1600lbs of force on 2 foot long spring. I use all the safety features, and take my time. I saved my self a significant amount of money...and didn't die.