1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY OME installation???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Stillfly199, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Jan 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 [OP] ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I saw somewhere on here before, and cant seem to find it now, a thread that showed a step by step process of how you put together a set of after market shocks and coils using a spring compressor. I think it showed how you disassemble the stock ones too. Anyone know of any threads? I searched about 40 pages and couldnt find what I was lookin for. :(

2. Jan 16, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    LISTEN!! Don't try to do that yourself. You will get KILLED!!!! Take it from me, I nearly had my head blown off by a compressory exploding.

3. Jan 16, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'd highly recommend taking the coil assmblies to a garage with a wall mounted spring compresser. Pay them $40 (or whatever) to do it. It'll save you a lot of headaches and maybe an arm or an eye (if you'e lucky).
    Especially if they are coils spacers - I'd definately NOT compress the coils at home.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/40467-how-toytec-lift-install-smtrdsport.html

For reference - I typed in: install coils
    This is actually a STICKY in the 2nd gen section.

4. Jan 16, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    +3 on taking it to a garage. Took mine to a garage after some reluctance and the shop owner (owned a 2006 Tacoma) said the springs are under 1600lbs of pressure.

5. Jan 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    If you haven't gotten the suspension parts yet then consider an outfit called Wheelers Offroad. They sell all the 4x4 stuff you'd need. I got my OME setup from them and they'll compress the springs for you for a reasonable price prior to shipping them out to you.

Anyway, it's the hardest part of the install I hear (I've never done a spring compression myself). The rest is pretty easy..

6. Jan 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Send me a PM. I did my OME 885's here on base at the hobby shop. If you have time to make the drive I will help you install the lift.

7. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I wouldn't call Wheelers "reasonable" really. If you have no ability to do anything for yourself- Maybe. But you are paying for replacement parts that are EXPENSIVE and that you don't need.
    Doing it yourself isn't really that hard with the right tools. Getting it down at a shop shouldn't cost you more then 40 or 50 bucks at the worst.

This is the AWESOME!! I helped a buddy get onto the res down here for the auto hobby shop to do some work and it was great. Cost him 20 bucks to install TC arms instead of 200.
    Good on you for offering!!!

To the OP- If you can get to a wall mounted spring compressor- Go for it. If it's the independant type-be careful-but you can try. if you know some one who owns a shop-go for it

8. Jan 17, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Just kinda seein what my options are, because I dont think a lot of off road shops are open on the weekends here.

Thanks, that wasnt the thread I was looking for but it is actually better. Just kinda seein what my options are here.

Ya, I want to take them in but the two shops I have been thinking about I dont think are open on Saturdays. I know its a dangerous task.

Already got them from Wheelers, I was originally going to have them build them, but I didnt want to pay the $225, which looking back it would have made it easier.

Thanks for the offer, thats awesome of you. I think a buddy is gonna help us do it, if not I am gonna save it for the Nor Cal Mod Day

A buddy has a nice garage and he says he has a spring compressor, dont know what kind, but he used to be a mechanic in a shop and still does it on the side, so if I go to him he will at least know what he is doing. But ya, I didnt want to spend the $225 to have them assemble them.

9. Jan 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If he was a mechanic you are probably good to go with whatever he has. Good luck!!

10. Jan 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Thats what I was thinking. I'll just stand back when he is messing with the coils :D

11. Jan 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Ehhh...Coils are dangerous- but I've used a wall compressor on mine several times without death ensuing. Just take it slow and you'll be fine.

hoverlover likes this.
  12. Jan 17, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    I did mine with the rental compressor was pretty easy but you have to be careful

13. Jan 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Ya I know you have to be real careful, which is why I wouldnt do this by myself, I am only doing it this way because my buddy works on stuff like this all the time.

14. Jan 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    ExpoSpy

ExpoSpy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Temecula
    I have used rental spring compressors a couple times on my 1st gen and now my 2nd gen. Take it slow and you'll be fine. It's a bit of work and it is only easier with air tools.

hoverlover likes this.
  15. Jan 18, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
  16. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I cant wait, shitty thing is it is raining and supposed to rain for the next week :( But I think my buddy has a pretty roomy garage

17. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    What is your life worth?
    Wheelers (or paying any qualified person to do it for you) will seem like a real bargain compared to the loss of your eyesight or even your life.

"On November 15, 1993, Jay sustained permanent eye and neurological injuries as a result of being struck in the face by a strut coil spring assembly which escaped during compression from a model T40187C strut spring compressor machine manufactured by Moog. Jay was working as an automotive mechanic for Jensen Goodyear automotive repair shop in Omaha and, at the time of the accident, had over 11 years of automotive mechanic experience. He had previously used other strut spring compressors but had never used a Moog compressor prior to November 15."
    http://www.napil.com/PersonalInjuryCaseLawDetail32410.htm

18. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    :eek:

19. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    spiceman

spiceman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC OR, Desert Sand Mica
    Window Tint, Sockmonkey bed decals, Eibach 1.6" coils, 5100s front (set @ .85) / rear
    I have used the wall mounted spring compressor at the hobby shop twice. It did not seem too dangerous to me. I don't see how the spring could escape but I guess the thing could break. I just took it slow and made sure I was being careful. Hobby Shops are great.

20. Jan 19, 2010 at 4:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:

This is a ridiculous excuse for not doing something.....because guess what- Leading cause of death is being born. Everyday life is dangerous. Wake up and walk out the door- You are at risk of death.

So your "qualified person" (like the plantiff in that case law) is better off doing it than I am?? He managed to hurt himself doing it. So you'd rather pay someone else to get hurt?? And never mind the number of people who do this every day and don't get hurt.

I have a healthy respect for 1600lbs of force on 2 foot long spring. I use all the safety features, and take my time. I saved my self a significant amount of money...and didn't die.

Products Discussed in

To Top