1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

? about tacoma lean

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jason1kyle, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Feb 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    You are right. 50 lbs out of 4000 lbs is about 1.25 %. Is not the weight but where is located what is important. You and your girl are located right in the middle of the truck I bet you that, when you hit a deep or a hole at 20 mph (off road), that 50 lbs becomes like 500 lbs. Take a look at all the Baha trucks and you will see that they are trying to strip off the front everything they can.

Off road, the front take most of the abuse. The front is not near as strong as the straight axle and flat springs you have in the back.

We (you, me) may not see a big difference when we make a small change but theoreticaly the suspenssion is afected one way or another.

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I'm confused, how does hitting a hole at 20mph make a battery that weighs 01.25% translate into 500lbs or 12.5% of the vehicle weight?

And who the hell is driving 20mph off roading! I would kill my self and the truck, unless you are talking about high speed dirt roads...

I feel like I'm in math class trying to figure out the speed of a train based off the time it left and arrived minus the wind and gravity variable :confused::confused::confused::confused:

3. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    I am pretty sure that the guys, down south, are going much, much faster then 20 mph on fire roads (desert racing).

When I was talking about % I was reffering to the amount of pressure that 50 lbs can put on that left spring when it hits a bump. I am not saying that 500 lbs is the exact pressure.
    That 50 lbs can put as much as 10.000 lbs of pressure on that spring if you send it at the right speed.

The same way your truck would bottom out when you hit a deep on the highway.

I don't know the exact formula, but I know that any object moving at a certain speed will increase the pressure it excerse by a % at point of impact.
    A better example would be ,,,

-try to walk on a soft ground and look at the print you left.
    - now run and make a jump on the same soft ground. You will see that your foot print is much deeper. The deeper print is not because you you just put another 100 lbs in your back. The pressure and the mark you leave will increase as your speed increase.

I hope this answer you ???? and if not,, then I may have to go back to school.

4. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    My brain hurts.

5. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Ok now take that equation and use it to tell me how much the front end absorbs with and with out the battery in it.

Yes you may be reducing the amount stress the front end handles by removing the battery, but only marginally when compared to the overall weight of the trucks front end and any variable factor such as: equipment, passengers, fuel, fluid reservoirs levels, tire pressure ect. will could also increase/decrease the amount of stress as well.

My point is not to pop your bubble, but to bring everything into perspective. It would stand to reason that if the battery only weighs 01.25% of the trucks total weight w/o passengers than by moving that load elsewhere, you are only reducing the amount of the force on the front end by 01.25% no matter how fast the truck hits the pot hole.

So to say that moving the battery out of the engine bay reduces the stress on the front end when you hit a pot hole at 20mph is true, but it only reduces the amount of stress by it's total weight factor of 01.25%.

When dealing with weight equations and load distribution, you have to keep the weight of the truck in mind as well.

6. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Sorry dude, not trying to be a downer but I'm trying to explain that it doesn't make sense to me in an intellectual way.

You used an equation, and I'm trying to use the same thing to represent my how it doesn't add up.

I'm almost a college grad so I have been taught to read things critically, and verify. I didn't mean to be rude, but have a discussion about the subject at hand.

7. Feb 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    Everything you say,, makes sense and I get it. You are looking at the big picture. If you do the calculations in theory you make sense but ,sometime, as we all know, the theory (sometime) collides with the practice.
    You don't take in consideration weight distribution. You are telling us (and this based on your theory ) that even if you have all the weight on top of the front suspension ????, the front should not be affected. The car is a mass and regardless how you distribute the weight on top of the four springs ???? it should behave the same.
    If you ask any guy that race in the Desert- where would you like to have the battery mounted ????.

You would not be surprise if 99% will tell you that - they want that weight off the front suspension.

I been riding bikes for the last 20 + years and the same rules apply to them also. If you can have a perfect balance 50/50 front to rear is great.

Any weight you can remove off the front suspension and relocate more to the center of the truck- will translate in less dive when you brake and a better control in every day drive.

I hope we did not confuse the guy more then he was before. The guys that did it will argue that - is wort it. The other guys will tell you that- is not.
    The best way to find out is to -go ahead and try it. It will cost you $25 in wire and 1/2 hour work. Take some measurements of the left and right (back and front) side prior you do this. At least you will have something to prove that the geometry changed a little.

This post was very constructive for me and I hope that , you, Masada, will turn out to be a very good Engineer. Thank you.

8. Feb 3, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Believe it or not dude, my degree is in Justice studies lol.

I just remember some of my business calc I had to take.

I get your point when we talk extremes, removing everything you can off the front suspension (and just lightening the truck up in general) is going to put less stress on it. I just think it would take more than the battery to show significant gains, but every step towards that direction is a good step right. For me, it's not worth it for the simple fact that I don't go fast or dirt roads but crawl over stuff in 4 low and locked. I think someone with a Prerunner who races in the desert would benefit more from this modification.

However the question is still on the table for me at least, does moving 50lbs from the driver side really compensate for "taco lean?"

I have no theory on this one lol so no arguments from me that it doesn't. Again, it's not noticeable enough for me to try this mod.

9. Feb 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    My drivers side sits an inch lower at the rear end with a full tank of gas. I'm gonna try swapping the leaf springs around one of these days. wish OME would have taken the weight difference into account when they made springs for the 2nd gens.

10. Feb 5, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    jason1kyle

jason1kyle [OP] commander101

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    77 series k&n 1inch throttle body spacer dual in single out catback exhaust (exhaust pros)
    yeah i dont see how anywho would notive 50lbs diff in a pickup truck

Products Discussed in

To Top