Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Offroading on 5100's

Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Offroading on 5100's

I have a question for anyone riding on 5100's or anyone with much offroading experience (i'm looking at you Janster).

I just recently put the 5100's on the front of my truck on the 2.5 setting. by doing this i made the front end much stiffer (go ahead and insert joke here). I dont mind sacraficing some ride comfort for style as well as function, but i have a concern. dampening is better. for example, speed bumps feel much less harsh even though my ride is stiffer. But just random bumps and holes in the road are felt much more. I'm worried that i will be bounced all over the cab on a bumpy dirt road or trail. I need to go test it out on a bumpy road but i cant find any in the immediate area that i can go on without getting in trouble. although the ride could be improved offroad. in the past i have gone over a rock or a ditch and since the suspension was soft, my underbody would slam down on whatever i drove over if it was big. with my suspension as stiff as it is there is less of a chance of major body travel resulting on me coming down hard on a fallen tree or rock. Basically i'm just looking for any input from anyone that is either riding a similar set up or has alot of offroad knowledge. pro's and cons of stiff suspension etc...

Also, whats the best indicator that i need to drop the differential? besides waiting for the CV to go out of course
Old 03-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

mvega1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to mvega1969
KNOCK... KNOCK... is anybody out there, please help this poor old man...

your help will be rewarded with an Alliance membership! hurry up they are almost gone (two in total for the whole of it).

Best Regards.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
That's a toughy.... sorry I didn't see this earlier. Been in a fog lately (sick).

Anytime you upgrade/lift, you'll get a stiffer ride no matter what lift kit you use. And yes....those bumpy dirt roads are gonna feel harsh. That's why airing down your tires will make it feel softer. Depending on how bumpy the road is, going faster or going slower can make a difference also.

I think with stiffer struts/shocks, the dampening can't occur as fast on those little annoying bumps. But YES - you want that stiffer / better dampening for coming off rocks/ditches. Unfortunately - it's a trade-off you must deal with when wanting better offroad capabilites.

I don't think there's anything you can do to 'have your cake and eat it to' (so to speak). Airing down your tires or go a little slower and enjoy the scenery.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Mvega: I'm gunnin for you....

Janster: thanks for the reply, i knew i could count on you for off-roading advice
Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Mvega: I'm gunnin for you....

Janster: thanks for the reply, i knew i could count on you for off-roading advice

I only know what I've done and learned, which doesn't mean I've done it all (wish I could say that).

But yeah, overall...I think stiffness & offroad go hand-n-hand.

It's all part of the offroad experience - and what you learn from it will shape what you want to gain (in pleasure) from it..... which will develope the decisions you make in prepping your vehicle for it.

that was weird - too philisophical for my liking....

Too bad those 5100's aren't easier to adjust *on the go* (so to speak). Then you could adjust 'em soft & low for street then adjust 'em high and stiff for offroad.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #6

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

I only know what I've done and learned, which doesn't mean I've done it all (wish I could say that).

But yeah, overall...I think stiffness & offroad go hand-n-hand.

It's all part of the offroad experience - and what you learn from it will shape what you want to gain (in pleasure) from it..... which will develope the decisions you make in prepping your vehicle for it.

that was weird - too philisophical for my liking....

Too bad those 5100's aren't easier to adjust *on the go* (so to speak). Then you could adjust 'em soft & low for street then adjust 'em high and stiff for offroad.
yeah, it would be awesome if they could be easily adjusted.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
hey...btw, if anyone wants to do the tsb and 2" blocks w/ 2.5" spacers up front....u'll get driveline vibes...just FYI!!! i just ordered some shims from toytec to see if this helps...if not, i might be buying me a Tom Woods one piece driveshaft this summer....
Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I have taken my truck out to ocotillo wells and believe me there are some good roads to test the shocks out and my truck handled like a dream out there if i would have had the stock shocks i would have been hurting. they took a beating and i simply give these shocks two thumbs up!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #9

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
I have taken my truck out to ocotillo wells and believe me there are some good roads to test the shocks out and my truck handled like a dream out there if i would have had the stock shocks i would have been hurting. they took a beating and i simply give these shocks two thumbs up!!!
what setting do you have yours on?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
2.5" and i like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
what setting do you have yours on?