Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

advise for install axle shims

Old 01-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
advise for install axle shims

any tips for the install of axle shims 09 tacoma d.c.s.b.
i plan on doing it in the next hour or so
i have done the aal myslef
is there any trimming or or special line up needed???
any tips tricks ???
Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The thin side goes tward the front of the truck, torque the U bolts propperly.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sweet
Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
BIG DADDY

help i, in the middle of installig them and the centering pin is not long enough to reach the hole in the axle????????
help help help
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
BIG DADDY

bump
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna have to get new pins and cut them to fit... Don't do it without doing that!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
BIG DADDY

yea thats great i wish someone would have told me that before hand thnaks
anouther wasted day
thanks toyotech.......
Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
yea thats great i wish someone would have told me that before hand thnaks
anouther wasted day
thanks toyotech.......
That is a bitch. Sorry to hear of the delay!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC, the center pin doesnt go all the way back into the axle mount through the shim
Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
BIG DADDY

??????
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
BIG DADDY

has anyone here actually installed shims themselfs or is everyone guessing
just wondering....dont take it the wrong way
but i could use some help from someone who has done this .....
the shims are from toyotech which i asked them for tips or instructions "basic" but no help
the shims themselfs i belive are a "piece of crap"....could have been designed much better as like how a lift block is.......
im just putting it back toger and going to watch the jets
screw this
things should not have to be this hard
Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
If I remember right the new pins I got with my toytec AAL did not have an extended pin. The overall threaded part was longer and needed to be trimmed. Let Chris chime in or PM him or hodge but I think you might be okay with what you have.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I did my install but it has been a while. Let me go crawl under mine and see if I can remember. BRB.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
BIG DADDY

thanks man
here are some pics

Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #15

Okay bro here is what I got, I crawled under mine and your shim has a channel that runs all the way out the back (thicker end) this goes towards the rear of the truck. The open end of the channel should be facing up, the bottom is textured to assist with meshing with the axle. Mine all put together, the shim is only 3/16's thick where the pin runs through the shim, I think head of the pin is a 1/4 or so. End state if the head of the pin is more than 3/16's you should be good. Either way mine has not moved a bit. I will go take a few pics for ya. I hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #16

I don't know if this will help at all but here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
advise for install axle shims-img_2061.jpg   advise for install axle shims-img_2059.jpg   advise for install axle shims-img_2057.jpg   advise for install axle shims-img_2060.jpg  
Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #17

PS. Your ride looks good!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
BIG DADDY

thanks
yea thanks for the help... my pin does not stick out past the bottom of my shim at all " i have the exact one u have".....
and when i did my all my axle moves and i have to kick it while im bringing the axle back up to pop the centering pin into place ....now if i put it back in like it is now it wont be centered ...opening up a whole new set of problems...
im goona see if someone makes a good axle shim.....
Old 01-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
IIRC, the center pin doesnt go all the way back into the axle mount through the shim
Correct. All the shims I have seen, have had a recessed hole for the pin, and a protrusion on the other side to rest into the axel.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
Ban Pending

Wow call me a dummy (for what it is worth educated as Aero/Mech Engr) and my strong opinion is you may get away with it but the design of the rear end mounts require that the pin goes through all all the leafs and the shim and the perch. In the meantime just don't wheel it hard, run over ANYTHING, and re-torque on a regular basis. I WOULD NOT DRIVE IT WITHOUT a pin going all the way through it. JUST MY OPINION. and BTW I do dummy things that I am sure you would say "I wouldn't do that!"

Bottomline - Good luck and I appreciate your efforts!