Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100's installed along with new tires

Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
scully is just really nicescully is just really nicescully is just really nicescully is just really nice
scully's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100's installed along with new tires

After a year and hours of research, finally pulled the trigger on a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks and new Goodyear Duratrac tires. Below are my thoughts:

Bili 5100's: Set at 1.75, which levels the truck perfect w/ the rear TSB. Truck rides great and thankfully no noticeable vibration. A friend did the install and it went well, except the we installed the bottom plate upside down, which gave us an added 1" but made it very difficult to compress and set at 1.75. At that point I figured something was wrong and went to the forumns for answers - mission accomplished.

Tires: New Goodyear Duratrac's - 265/75/16". One word....AMAZING. Purchased at Discount Tire in Reno. The day I had them installed, the snow started falling. These tires have excellent traction in the white stuff. They also transformed the look of the truck. Very, very happy.

Misc. - After the install of tires, took my truck to Mikes Automotive Perfection in Reno for an allignment. Good thing, as the install of the shocks really took it out of factory specs. All set now. Let me know if anyone wants to see the spaces after the 5100 install.

Below are some photos - truck is dirty as I've been on the mountain all week enjoying 5+ feet of new snow. **NOTE** - The photo of the suspension shows the WRONG WAY to install the shocks - the perch is upside down.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
scully is just really nicescully is just really nicescully is just really nicescully is just really nice
scully's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, sorry should have noted that in the photo. We did install the correct way.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
weidjd is on a distinguished road
weidjd's Tacoma Gallery
How is the ride with this setup?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benca1 View Post
the ride is 100xxxxxxxxxx better .. man the rear is so nice and solid now with just the rear tsb and 5100's when i go over railroad tracks or speed bumps it doesn feel like i am on runaway horse bounding everywhere.
the 5100s do make a world of differance.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Nice ride bro. I like the pics too. I wish we had a bunch of that snow down here to play in.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good man. Not sure if you started a build yet, but you should consider one if you haven't. Digging the rims too!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Molōn labe!
choptop will become famous soon enough

Name: Scott
choptop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hey isnt that perch in upside down??????????? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, he says it has already been rectified, good thing too....
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
looks really clean. i love the color
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
bluecluee is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
bluecluee's Tacoma Gallery
Scully - Did you use the stock TRD coils? Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
scully's Tacoma Gallery
Bluecleee - did use the stock TRD coils as they are heavy duty and didn't see any reason to switch out. Truck rides very nice, just a bit harsher but very acceptable.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
Molōn labe!
choptop will become famous soon enough

Name: Scott
choptop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hey chop he added that after i sent that .. lol nut . he edited it .. .... its funny how many get put in upside down you would think they would provide better instructions

good catch!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
bluecluee is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
bluecluee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully View Post
Bluecleee - did use the stock TRD coils as they are heavy duty and didn't see any reason to switch out. Truck rides very nice, just a bit harsher but very acceptable.
Thanks for the reply, I'm debating using my stock TRD OR coils and buying Eibachs.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Have you got a head on shot of that wheel / tire combo? I'd like to see how much they stick out with the 4.5 backspacing vs stock.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
TimS is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
TimS's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck good setup. I've got the 5100,s also. And, thanks to your picture, I realized that I have the perch up side down (apparently like my brain). Its been wrong since day one. This past October. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
nice...i been hearing about people installing the bottom plate upside down....lol...glad you got it figured out....thanx for the pic...now i know to turn it the other way when i get mine put on