Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Told to get longer shackles?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Drews Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
Drews Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Told to get longer shackles?

I just replaced my shot stock leaf springs on my 99 TRD and now am told that I need longer shackles. I am wondering what the reason is for this needed increase in length? Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom to share here?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Who told you this? Did they offer a word of explanation?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Drews Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
Drews Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Who told you this? Did they offer a word of explanation?
I was told that the existing shackles were too short after I had the leafs replaced, and that they do not allow enough range of motion between the frame and leaf pack! I went to a guy that owns a jeep fabrication shop and his Toyota guy did the replacement and also said that the longer shackle will alleviate this problem and give me a softer ride! So I don't really know what to think cause it has a much firmer ride now but seems like it could be true since the existing stock shackle isn't really pointing down it is stuck in the back!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I doubbt that longer shackles will change point down, seems to me that the new springs are too long. What kind of springs are they?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
im running 8 inch long shackles on my Deaver 8 leaf pack and the ride is 100x better than when i had the stock 3 inch shackles...

the ride does get softer and you get increased travel...

how much longer did they recommend to you though?

i would think 5 inches would be enough