1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Question Regarding Bilstein Adjustable 5100 - how are these adjustable?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tacozona, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    Tacozona

Tacozona [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA (state of)
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra Cab TRD 4x4
    ARB bumper Warn winch 3" suspension lift canopy with safari rack AR Teflon Mojave wheels BF Goodrich MT
    I just ordered my Toytec suspension kit with the Bilstein 5100s.
    Basically, 2 shocks with 2 adjustable struts (5100 Bilsteins)
    I have never dealt with coilovers.
    I have only installed basic Bilstein shocks without ever trying to level out a vehicle.
    My question is that based upon a quick visual I don't see how the front struts are "adjustable". I know I a spring compressor to remove old struts from coils. Just don't get the adjustable part of the shocks.

I am sure this is a ridiculous question...:confused:

2. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    There should be three groves that the bottom spring holder thing will go to. You choose which one you want.

3. Jan 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    A7XT

A7XT Reppin UWYO

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    WYOMING
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport V6 Silver
    BRUTEFORCE FAB HYBRID BUMPER!, 1.5 AAL, 5100 at 2.5" in front, foglight and DRL mod, fully de-badged, diff-breather mod, aux backup lights, rear view switch on mod, full husky floor liners, yellow wire mod, black action packer toolbox, Rockford P3SD412 sub on a hifonics Zues, Pioneer 4200DVD, hitch recovery shackle, Toyota Ski racks over bed, 55W Bixenon 6000K, Rigid 4" LED bars on bumper, Black Ultra Thunder 17" rims
    i just got mine in the mail today. Mine have four grooves and a large "c" clip that fits in one of the grooves. You simply pry it a little to get it out of one groove and pick the groove you want based on how much lift you want. Then the bottom plate (which is the metal silver plate that hold up the bottom of the spring) slides down and catches on the overhanging c clip, then you just put coils on and good to go!

4. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Good evening,
    Figured I would throw my 2 cents in on this one...
    Also the Gen "1" Bilstein 5100 Fronts will have the "3" snap ring grooves..
    The Gen "2" will have the "4" and the reason they are "Adjustable" is for the reason that a few of you had stated.What you are doing is adding pre-load to the spring in order to change the ride height..That is why when you set it at the 2.5" Mark, they are pain to get the springs on because you have to pre-load them so much.
    The main advantage to the 5100's is they have been valved to help compensate for the added Pre-Load...
    Hope this helps....
    Thank you,
    Sonny

Products Discussed in

To Top