1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

L.R. U.C.A Install ???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by brutalguyracing, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing [OP] BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i have an 09 d.c.s.b. and i have the 5100's set @ 2.5 and a 2" aal
    now i have just ordered my L.R. U.C.A. my Questions
    1. is there any special tools needed to do this install
    2. is this something i should do myself....
    3. is the install the same as T.C. U.C.A. as per the "sticky"
    any help would be great....
    im trying to avoid lost time and problems like i have had on my last installs of the aal, axle shims, things should not have to be that hard lol

2. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    It follows the same tutorial as the TC UCAs. The only pain I've heard was moving the metal and wheel well covering to get the bolt in and out.

3. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Installing the UCA's are easy, just like the sticky. It's those damn ball joints that are confusing as hell. I would call Light racing when you get them and have them help you figure out the positioning of the ball joints. The instructions are really lame and completely useless when it come to positioning them.

4. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    anyone have anything to add to that ball joint problem mentioned above^^^^^^^^

5. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    When you separate the ball joint from the spindle, dont let it fall.

6. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    As well put something under the LCA so that when your unbolting the UCA from the Spindle, So it doesnt put stress on the threads.

7. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I tie it up to the fender with a large Zip tie, or bailing wire.

8. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Even though I didnt change out my UCAs, here's what I did. Same principal.:cool:

9. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I used a smaller floor jack under the LCA to help get the spindle back into the range of the ball joint. After too long though, all it started to do was jack the truck up.

10. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    We should have done that, but we just used man strength:eek:

11. Jan 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    The easiest thing to do is spend an extra $25 and get 2 new bolts from Toyota and cut the old ones out and replace them with the new ones. The tech guys at Toytec said they were even considering starting to send new bolts with their LR UCA's. You don't have to but it will save you a butt load of time and cussing.

12. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    What bolts?

Are you talking about the really long ones that hold the UCA's to the frame?

13. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Yep, those are the ones they're talking about.

14. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    You have just as much work to put the new ones in as it is to take the old ones out. Why would you cut anything and put new ones in?

I've taken my UCA's off 4 times now and every time I took the bolts out and put them back in without a problem. There's a little bending of the inner fender and few wiring clips that you have to be pushed out of the way, but that's easy. Plus you I couldn't even install my bolts in the opposite direction on the driver side because of some lines that were in the way.

I don't know man, to me it sounds like more work and a little more involved than I would want to get on a UCA install.

15. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I agree with you. I haven't done it so I only speak from what I imagine would happen. It seems like in the time it would take me to cut off the old bolt, get out the pieces, and clean the shavings out of all the lowers, I could have just removed the oem bolt.:notsure:

16. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    does anyone know the part # for the bolts from toyo dealer???
    and to seperate the ball joint i just beat it right

17. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Thank you for highlighting and pointing out what I thought I had already clearly stated.

18. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ok so how long did it really take you to cut the bolt, pull out all the parts of the bolt and then install the new one? Did you installed them from the back forward or forward to the back like it came from the factory.

I maybe takes me about 5-6 min on each side from time of unscrewing the bolt to removing it. I didn't like bending it either, but I've never had anyone look at my inner fender before and tell me it's bent :D

There is a flat part of the spindle, that faces the front of the truck if memory serves me, that you hit with a hammer

19. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    No offense dude, but the more and more you post about cutting the bolt. The less and less it sounds like a good idea. Why on earth would you UCA bolt be seized?

20. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes, I loosened the castle nut about halfway down the threads then wacked that top elbow next to the ball joint with a hammer. When it breaks loose, that castle nut will catch it to prevent it from falling too far and damaging anything. Loosen it with fingers the rest of the way and support the spindles weight either with stands or zip ties. Don't forget to take off the little bolts that guide the brake lines and stuff. I'd also recommend removing the wheel speed sensor too.

Products Discussed in

To Top