Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

L.R. U.C.A Install ???

Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
L.R. U.C.A Install ???

i have an 09 d.c.s.b. and i have the 5100's set @ 2.5 and a 2" aal
now i have just ordered my L.R. U.C.A. my Questions
1. is there any special tools needed to do this install
2. is this something i should do myself....
3. is the install the same as T.C. U.C.A. as per the "sticky"
any help would be great....
im trying to avoid lost time and problems like i have had on my last installs of the aal, axle shims, things should not have to be that hard lol
Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
It follows the same tutorial as the TC UCAs. The only pain I've heard was moving the metal and wheel well covering to get the bolt in and out.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Installing the UCA's are easy, just like the sticky. It's those damn ball joints that are confusing as hell. I would call Light racing when you get them and have them help you figure out the positioning of the ball joints. The instructions are really lame and completely useless when it come to positioning them.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

anyone have anything to add to that ball joint problem mentioned above^^^^^^^^
Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
anyone have anything to add to that ball joint problem mentioned above^^^^^^^^
When you separate the ball joint from the spindle, dont let it fall.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
When you separate the ball joint from the spindle, dont let it fall.
As well put something under the LCA so that when your unbolting the UCA from the Spindle, So it doesnt put stress on the threads.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
As well put something under the LCA so that when your unbolting the UCA from the Spindle, So it doesnt put stress on the threads.
I tie it up to the fender with a large Zip tie, or bailing wire.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I tie it up to the fender with a large Zip tie, or bailing wire.
Even though I didnt change out my UCAs, here's what I did. Same principal.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I used a smaller floor jack under the LCA to help get the spindle back into the range of the ball joint. After too long though, all it started to do was jack the truck up.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
I used a smaller floor jack under the LCA to help get the spindle back into the range of the ball joint. After too long though, all it started to do was jack the truck up.
We should have done that, but we just used man strength
Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It follows the same tutorial as the TC UCAs. The only pain I've heard was moving the metal and wheel well covering to get the bolt in and out.
The easiest thing to do is spend an extra $25 and get 2 new bolts from Toyota and cut the old ones out and replace them with the new ones. The tech guys at Toytec said they were even considering starting to send new bolts with their LR UCA's. You don't have to but it will save you a butt load of time and cussing.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
The easiest thing to do is spend an extra $25 and get 2 new bolts from Toyota and cut the old ones out and replace them with the new ones. The tech guys at Toytec said they were even considering starting to send new bolts with their LR UCA's. You don't have to but it will save you a butt load of time and cussing.
What bolts?

Are you talking about the really long ones that hold the UCA's to the frame?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBoy View Post
Yep, those are the ones they're talking about.
You have just as much work to put the new ones in as it is to take the old ones out. Why would you cut anything and put new ones in?

I've taken my UCA's off 4 times now and every time I took the bolts out and put them back in without a problem. There's a little bending of the inner fender and few wiring clips that you have to be pushed out of the way, but that's easy. Plus you I couldn't even install my bolts in the opposite direction on the driver side because of some lines that were in the way.

I don't know man, to me it sounds like more work and a little more involved than I would want to get on a UCA install.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
You have just as much work to put the new ones in as it is to take the old ones out. Why would you cut anything and put new ones in?

I've taken my UCA's off 4 times now and every time I took the bolts out and put them back in without a problem. There's a little bending of the inner fender and few wiring clips that you have to be pushed out of the way, but that's easy. Plus you I couldn't even install my bolts in the opposite direction on the driver side because of some lines that were in the way.

I don't know man, to me it sounds like more work and a little more involved than I would want to get on a UCA install.
I agree with you. I haven't done it so I only speak from what I imagine would happen. It seems like in the time it would take me to cut off the old bolt, get out the pieces, and clean the shavings out of all the lowers, I could have just removed the oem bolt.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
BIG DADDY

does anyone know the part # for the bolts from toyo dealer???
and to seperate the ball joint i just beat it right
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
It took me 2 seconds with a sawzall. How long did it take you to get them out? It just comes down to personal prefferance. I didn't want to bend anything so I just spent the extra $25.
Ok so how long did it really take you to cut the bolt, pull out all the parts of the bolt and then install the new one? Did you installed them from the back forward or forward to the back like it came from the factory.

I maybe takes me about 5-6 min on each side from time of unscrewing the bolt to removing it. I didn't like bending it either, but I've never had anyone look at my inner fender before and tell me it's bent

Quote:
does anyone know the part # for the bolts from toyo dealer???
There is a flat part of the spindle, that faces the front of the truck if memory serves me, that you hit with a hammer
Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
Don't know the part # off hand. Most that I've seen will come apart with a little persuasion. I actually had to heat mine up with a torch to get my driver side apart. It was seized up!!!!!!!
No offense dude, but the more and more you post about cutting the bolt. The less and less it sounds like a good idea. Why on earth would you UCA bolt be seized?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, I loosened the castle nut about halfway down the threads then wacked that top elbow next to the ball joint with a hammer. When it breaks loose, that castle nut will catch it to prevent it from falling too far and damaging anything. Loosen it with fingers the rest of the way and support the spindles weight either with stands or zip ties. Don't forget to take off the little bolts that guide the brake lines and stuff. I'd also recommend removing the wheel speed sensor too.