Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

question about donahoe coilovers

Old 03-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
question about donahoe coilovers

I was looking at the "icon vehicle dynamics" website formally donahoe and was looking at their coilovers. They say they're adjustable up to 3.5" of lift. But they say in the installation instructions they say they are come from the factory set at 2" and they don't recommend going over 2.5" of lift, because of aligmnment issues. I was wondering if I had the front of my truck set at 2.5" inches of lift could I fit 285/75r16 or 285/70r17 (approximately 32.8" tall) or would I have to set the coilovers for 3" of lift. Who here is running donahoe coilovers, and where do you have them set, and what size tires are you running, and do you have any problems?

Also on a side note: how easy are coilovers to install???
Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
The coilovers should bolt right up. Loosen the 3 screws at the top, pop it out and put the Icon coil in. They can run up to 3.5 in, but that is to compensate for sag over time. Anything over 2.5 and you lose too much droop and get a very uncomfortable ride.

And yes you can fit those tires, but might need to trim a little bit. You will rub.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
k2pow is on a distinguished road

k2pow's Tacoma Gallery
hey did you ever find out info on these coil overs you were inquiring about? I'm hoping you can share your knowledge with me.. I want those coil overs and also get some improved shocks for the back. This stock ride height is killing me and I don't just want a leveler kit, I want a nice quality ride for street and dirt.

Kenneth
Old 04-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
das56170 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st Lieutenant
das56170's Tacoma Gallery
from what i've read they are some of the best suspension components that you can put on your truck. The only thing is they're pretty expensive and there are cheaper methods of leveling or lifting your truck. These are a good choice if your looking for performance though. here's their web site.

http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/
Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #5

k2pow's Tacoma Gallery
Well I bought the Icons and Camburg ca's from wheelers on line. Think I got a pretty decent price. I also hooked up with the bilsteins for the back with a 3 leaf pack to go with it. My only concern is if the American Racing Mojave with Teflon® (Series 3981) 16x8 with 4 1/2 back space will fit over my calipers..
I am excited for the arrival of all of my goodies..
Old 04-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
I've been waiting on my donahoe's from Wheelers for almost a week and a half. Got an email saying they're backordered. Gonna give'em a call on Monday. Just giving you a heads up.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #7

k2pow's Tacoma Gallery
Great just what I needed. Added time stacked on to me already being anxious for the arrival of them... What rim tire combo (size)are you planning on running with your coil over set?
Old 04-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

luni's Tacoma Gallery
285/70/17 BFG ATs on 17x9 American Racing Series 3985 Chamber Teflons
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #9

luni's Tacoma Gallery
Update: Got off the phone with wheeler's earlier today and the Icon coilovers came in this morning. No idea if they're all spoken for. Mine are shipped. I'm excited.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
iwc3714 will become famous soon enough
iwc3714's Tacoma Gallery
You'll love the Icon dynamics. They're great quality. I love mine.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #11

luni's Tacoma Gallery
Its stuff like that that keeps you from having friends. :P

I'm impatient, time to start looking for coilovers in houses with tan carpets...
Old 04-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #12

k2pow's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a picture of your truck with the coil overs on her? Rim people are saying the Mojave rims I want kinda stick out with the 0 offset? I am so confused
Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
iwc3714's Tacoma Gallery
I really don't have the type of pictures that you need and I'll be at work till 1030pm.
But here are a couple.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #14

k2pow's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the picture. I found out that the rims and tires will work. Just waiting for the set up to arrive.

Will surly post pictures when I am done
Old 04-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
iwc3714's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to see that it will work.
BTW, I had the coilovers left at the factory setting - 2.5"
I talked to the guy at www.polyperformance.com and he
said if I left it at the stock settings from the factory, I
wouldn't need a uca.
Welcome to the Icon Dynamics club.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #16

k2pow's Tacoma Gallery
Need? Ahh nothing on my truck is a need. All fun for me. Good to know about the UCA's but it was my way of still having camburg stuff on the truck with out going with the full long travel kit. I did like the icon's better than the camburg coil overs. I just wish it would come already. I called wheelers today and they said they are on the way to them and were going to see if they could arrange a drop ship directly to me from Icon. Thanks again for your info...

P.s. What are you running in the rear?
Old 04-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
lightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant futurelightmup has a brilliant future

lightmup's Tacoma Gallery
I was at a local off road show yesterday and ran into a rep for icon. He said he could custom make some coil overs to fit my fabtech 6" lift. I need to go to my local distributer and have them measure it out and send it in and they will hook me up. Wish me luck !! Should be sweet!!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #18
iwc3714's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running Icon rear shocks with reservoirs and the add a leaf pack. Lunni, good thing their already on the truck and not lying around on my carpet.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 AM   #19

luni's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwc3714 View Post
I'm running Icon rear shocks with reservoirs and the add a leaf pack. Lunni, good thing their already on the truck and not lying around on my carpet.
Lol yours are safe, mine are in the mail and hopefully on the truck by the end of next week. Good thing too my squad leader asked me why theres a stack of 33" wheels at the foot of my bed in my barracks room. They help me sleep at night.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM   #20
Addicted Mod'r
ToyoComp is on a distinguished road

ToyoComp's Tacoma Gallery
luni - are you planning to drop the differential? May not need to do this if you're only going to 2.5 but I know ToyTec sells a very inexpensive ($29.99 I think) kit that helps return the CV angles closer to stock - translation less wear and tear. Something to consider while you have the truck up on jack stands. Good luck with the build and let's see some pictures.