1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100 and TRD offroad question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by c-slak, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Jan 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    c-slak

c-slak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    5100's all around, 265/75/16 BFG ATKO's on MB Razor's, short shift, clutch mod, tsb springs, tsb aal
    Just curious, has anyone else with the trd offroad noticed that the 5100's set at 2.5 only give about 2 inches of lift? I just raised mine from 1.75 today. I am guessing that it is because the offroad springs are progressive rate vs the standard or sport springs linear rate.? My measurements from ground to wheel well are 27 1/2" with 265/75/16 bfg ATs. I figured I would be closer to 28 or 28 1/2". I guess it's time to cough up the money for the 285's and OME 885 springs.

On a side note with the progressive springs the 2.5" setting isn't harsh at all in my initial drives. I am guessing the different springs might also have to do with the varied comments on the harshness of the ride when 5100s are set at the 2.5 setting. Might just be everyones different definition of harsh though.

2. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:48 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Yeah I noticed the same thing when I had my 5100s. When I installed my icon at the recommended setting the truck sat atleast a half inch if not a full inch higher. Changing the springs will make the difference. As far as harshness goes it really depends. My buddy has your same setup but toyo tires and his truck doesn' feel harsh at all. I have bfg mud terrains and icon and the ride is significantly stiffer. I attribute that mostly to the high lift and mud terrain tires.

3. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows

No, Icons just ride stiff as hell.

Products Discussed in

To Top