v6 pre (2x4) 20-21 2 1.14%
v6 pre (2x4) 22+ 0 0%
v6 4x4 13-15 24 13.64%
v6 4x4 16-17 55 31.25%
v6 4x4 18-19 27 15.34%
v6 4x4 20+ 7 3.98%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
after 3" lift whats your MPG

i just got my OME 3" put on and was wondering what others with 3" lifts are getting and with what truck?

vote careful there are options for

4cl
pre
4x4

v6
pre
4x4

tried to get everyone sorry if you dont fit only 15 spots
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
u realize that its not the lift that affects the MPG, but rather the tire size, right?

just throwing that out there...

a truck with a 6" lift and 32" tires will get better MPG than a truck with the same lift and 35" tires...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a 19.2 MPG average to a 17.2 MPG average with a 3" lift and stock wheels / tires. I drive 95% Hwy at 70-75 MPH.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
u realize that its not the lift that affects the MPG, but rather the tire size, right?

just throwing that out there...

a truck with a 6" lift and 32" tires will get better MPG than a truck with the same lift and 35" tires...

there is a law of wind resistance and i cant think of it but it states that an item half the size tall but twice the weight will roll farther then an item twice as tall and half the weight- due to wind resistance-or drag.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I get close to 17MPG with my set up.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I'm lucky to get 13MPG... it requires me to really monitor my in-town driving and keep it around 65 on the highway.
hey Sean, really?

you're re-geared though, aren't you?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
15 to 16mpg combined city/hwy
Old 02-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
williegator will become famous soon enough

Navy:
williegator's Tacoma Gallery
Lift didn't change anything, the bigger tires it went from mid 17s to mid 15s (per scan guage)
Old 02-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
LT Chase Truck

Quote:
Yeah, 4.56's. I don't have a heavy foot either... just gets shitty mileage. This past summer I took a 3000 mile roadtrip, 90% was on backroads and I stayed around 55MPH.. then I got about 15 MPG. But I was going pretty slow and driving like a retiree.
well you ARE running KM2s and with that aggressive tread, you running a true 33...

maybe step up to 4.88s?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
LT Chase Truck

Quote:
It seems to have plenty of power and its not too much into the powerband. I suppose 4.88's might help. I also have about 600 pounds of extra crap on my truck.. so I'm sure that doesn't help.
yah, that'll do it too... my bed is pretty loaded down too... im at about 12-13 MPG right now with the big tires and gear...
Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I got 14mpg on my last tank... But I cant really count that bc I had been letting my truck warm up in the mornings before heading to work. and I had 200lbs of sand in the bed for when it was "suppose to be" icy.... so much for that.. ha

This tank Im not gonna let it warm up for more than a min or so and see what the difference is.

Last june I drove from southern idaho to North texas (1400 miles) and I was averaging 17.5-18 MPG. and that was with 800lbs of crap in my bed...I had to weigh it empty and full for the military.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, 4.56's. I don't have a heavy foot either... just gets shitty mileage. This past summer I took a 3000 mile roadtrip, 90% was on backroads and I stayed around 55MPH.. then I got about 15 MPG. But I was going pretty slow and driving like a retiree.
I was going to PM you and ask about those 4.56's. And you answered my question. I was afraid of that. I am not going there now. lol

I already notice a drop everytime I add something.

Stock for first 1,000 miles I saw up to 18 mpg since then:
tires - drop, 1-1.5mpg
lift -drop, 0.5 mpg
areodynamic bumpers - drop, 0.5-1 mpg
roof rack and lights - drop, 1 mpg

I am debating about getting a scanguage right now just to see if it helps.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
Quote:
FWIW, I don't think I noticed a drop or rise when I re-geared... at least not one that was noticable. I'm at the point now where I just fill it up when its empty.. I don't really monitor it that closely... too depressing I suppose. But even before I lifted or did any mods, my gas mileage was not as good as most others on here.
I don't have hobbies but more like temporary obsessions. And recently it has been mpg. I need to just regear the truck and buy a Prius.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
regearing might help your mpg's but you'll never make up the money you spend on gears and install with gas savings.

Oh I learned that on my F150 and lost 2 mpg. I know regearing hurts mileage I was wondering how bad. I was not planning on improving my mileage but improving my 4Lo crawling. I just wondered if I would go from 15-16 to 12-13mpg. Seems likely.

To improve you need to go taller and why do that?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Silver View Post
I went from a 19.2 MPG average to a 17.2 MPG average with a 3" lift and stock wheels / tires. I drive 95% Hwy at 70-75 MPH.
X2 and I got 18mpg while i totally drove on the highway at 72mph.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
KeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant future

Name: Keith
KeithB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post
Oh I learned that on my F150 and lost 2 mpg. I know regearing hurts mileage I was wondering how bad. I was not planning on improving my mileage but improving my 4Lo crawling. I just wondered if I would go from 15-16 to 12-13mpg. Seems likely.

To improve you need to go taller and why do that?
Actually, I regeared my old '01 tacoma from 4.10 to 4.56 with 33's and improved my mpg from 16.5 to 18 average. As long as you don't go to far, the engine doesn't need to work so hard to get you moving from a dead stop. If you go to low, then you;ll be screaming at highway speeds. It's a delicate balance to get it just in the right range for optimal performance. I figure 4.45 would have brought me back to stock feeling. Still not worth it if your just trying to save some gas money but definately worth it to ease up the strain on your engine and gain some low end torque for trials.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #19
Quote:
I didn't do anything on my truck to improve mileage.. I did it all for increased off-road ability. If I wanted to improve gas mileage I'd buy a Yaris.

I would love to find that happy medium. When I drove my Jeep my San Antonio to Ouray and got 13 mpg at $4/gallon.

During that trip I changed my mind about Jeeps and decided that I wanted it all. Offroader, space, comfort and thrift.

It is good to have dreams. And if I could ever design everything into a single truck I would send my resume to Toyota's engineering department.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm @ 16-16.7 MPG.....

Didn't buy my TACO for the MPG's