Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

toytec shims VS driveline vibes

Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
toytec shims VS driveline vibes

just so we're on the same page, i have a 2.5" poly spacer lift up front and the tsb+2" blocks in the rear...not sure if that rear counts as 2" or 3 1/4" b/c of the tsb...anyways...i was getting vibes from 55mph+ while accelerating and vibes 20-25 mph while stopping. i was also getting the clunking while coming to a stop/starting off. i added the toytec shims to the rear and so far i have no more vibe issues. no clunking at all and no 20-25 while stopping. i havent felt any while over 55, but it was limited driving over that speed, so i'll definately have an update after this weekend since i have a 1:45 drive each way to guard this weekend. just letting everyone know that the $25 for these is a good pick up. if u buy a lift kit from them and order these at the same time, it'll only be like $15 b/c they'll combine shipping.

and on a seperate note, after adding the 2" block, i had to get some 2" shock extenders b/c the stock rear billy's were fully extending. havent had any more issues w/ it and was only $6 for the entenders, instead of $150+ for all new shocks (will do that later on).

so janster, u see any issues w/ this stuff while offroading? i got under there today and took an impact wrench to tighten the u-bolts, so i'm pretty damn sure they aren't moving anywhere
Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see any problems! You've done your homework!

Good to see you've taken care of the vibes - one less thing to worry about.

Each time ya go offroading, just do a *check* of the blocks (look for cracks) and check u-bolts again too. And try not to get too hard on the *go* pedal.

The only thing I can think of...aside from what you've already done... is an extended rear brake line. I'm not sure if anyone has problems with over-extending them while offroading or not..... just a safety precaution I guess. If you're offroading and stretching out the suspension, remember to get out of the truck and take a look ...see if the line is tight or not. That'll tell ya if you need to get a longer one.

The other thing I haven't heard much people talk about lately, is extending the rear & front differential breathers. Or are they already extended from the factory?

Have fun with it! Wheeling is fun.....!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i have no idea what a front/rear breather is....i'm guessing something to do w/ 4x4? w/ the axle unhooked and a post lift under the frame, it took some pretty good air to max out those brake lines....but it is another thing on my list to do before the NEXT meet. thanks for the response.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i have no idea what a front/rear breather is....i'm guessing something to do w/ 4x4? w/ the axle unhooked and a post lift under the frame, it took some pretty good air to max out those brake lines....but it is another thing on my list to do before the NEXT meet. thanks for the response.
Sounds good!!

I had to run out and look at the diff breather -as I wasn't sure how it was compared to my old 96. The diff breather is a little round 'cap' looking thing on the top of the diff. What it does - is allows the differential to 'breathe'.
The oil heats up and expands (same as water) and the pressure is released via the breather. Sooo...if you go offroad and go through a lot of water & mud....water can get inside your differential through this breather. Water in your diff is VERY BAD. So - you can extend the breather with a barbed hose fitting, long piece of hose and hose clamps. Easy & cheap modification.
Here's a picture of the breather location - that round cap thing.

Here's a writeups I found on how to do it. http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=86

I didn't look at the front - but I think the front is already extended but I'm not sure on the newer trucks. You can leave it, or extend it further if you want. Totally up to you.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
damn janster, you're an endless fountain of off-roading info! must be all that time you spent over at TTORA
Old 04-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Sounds good!!

I had to run out and look at the diff breather -as I wasn't sure how it was compared to my old 96. The diff breather is a little round 'cap' looking thing on the top of the diff. What it does - is allows the differential to 'breathe'.
The oil heats up and expands (same as water) and the pressure is released via the breather. Sooo...if you go offroad and go through a lot of water & mud....water can get inside your differential through this breather. Water in your diff is VERY BAD. So - you can extend the breather with a barbed hose fitting, long piece of hose and hose clamps. Easy & cheap modification.
Here's a picture of the breather location - that round cap thing.

Here's a writeups I found on how to do it. http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=86

I didn't look at the front - but I think the front is already extended but I'm not sure on the newer trucks. You can leave it, or extend it further if you want. Totally up to you.
thanks for the info. have to do that sometime as well
Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
damn janster, you're an endless fountain of off-roading info! must be all that time you spent over at TTORA
Yup! I caught *the bug* many years ago and TTORA is the blame. I loved those days....when everything was new and exciting!

Things are still 'exciting' - just on a different level.

One of the reasons I keep coming back to the forums - is I love seeing the excitement in others and I like helping to spread the excitement!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup! I caught *the bug* many years ago and TTORA is the blame. I loved those days....when everything was new and exciting!

Things are still 'exciting' - just on a different level.

One of the reasons I keep coming back to the forums - is I love seeing the excitement in others and I like helping to spread the excitement!
i hate people like you if it were'nt for this site and constant mod ideas being thrown out there i would still be driving a completely stock truck, blissfully unaware that i needed to mod it out to be happy, with more money in my bank account. people like you are taking over my life!!! i'm gonna start sending you a bill for parts and labor that i get done...
Old 04-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
i hate people like you if it were'nt for this site and constant mod ideas being thrown out there i would still be driving a completely stock truck, blissfully unaware that i needed to mod it out to be happy, with more money in my bank account. people like you are taking over my life!!! i'm gonna start sending you a bill for parts and labor that i get done...
Just passing along what others have done to me!! Promise yourself... Never ever ever sit down and figure out how much money you've spent on mods. You'll be sick to your stomach!!

Oh hell....what else are you gonna spend your money on?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #10

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just passing along what others have done to me!! Promise yourself... Never ever ever sit down and figure out how much money you've spent on mods. You'll be sick to your stomach!!

Oh hell....what else are you gonna spend your money on?
see!!! thats what i'm talking about!!! who can argue with that logic. i guess i gotta go buy a brush guard now....