Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

bilstein shock difference???

Old 04-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
bilstein shock difference???

are there any differences between the bilsteins that come on the trd offroad/sport and these bilstein heavy duty's in this link(besides the look of the shock)................

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...=62&pid=101016
Old 04-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
are there any differences between the bilsteins that come on the trd offroad/sport and these bilstein heavy duty's in this link(besides the look of the shock)................

http://www.performanceproducts4truck...=62&pid=101016
Why not get the adjustable 5100s? This guy has the whole set for $269 shipped. That's who I bought mine from.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Thats who i went through sonny is awesome well worth the money.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
Why not get the adjustable 5100s? This guy has the whole set for $269 shipped. That's who I bought mine from.
i had thought about it, but im not going to lift or anything, and im not needing shocks yet.....im at 30k right now,but i'll probably just get regular billy's when its time...........i was just wondering the difference.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I believe that even the Toyota issued TRD Bilstein's are still a fleet type shock. The yellow Bilstein HD's that I replaced, at 30,000 as one on the rear had blown, on my '99 TRD were almost twice the diameter of the original ones. The same with the 5100's that I just put on this '08 TRD truck. The 5100's and the yellow HD replacements are a 46mm piston? and alot better dampening than the original issue Bilstein's. I agree about the 5100's, you can adjust if needed, from Downsouth Motorsports. Offer $258 on best offer and I'll bet you a beer they take it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-08...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
I believe that even the Toyota issued TRD Bilstein's are still a fleet type shock. The yellow Bilstein HD's that I replaced, at 30,000 as one on the rear had blown, on my '99 TRD were almost twice the diameter of the original ones. The same with the 5100's that I just put on this '08 TRD truck. The 5100's and the yellow HD replacements are a 46mm piston? and alot better dampening than the original issue Bilstein's. I agree about the 5100's, you can adjust if needed, from Downsouth Motorsports. Offer $258 on best offer and I'll bet you a beer they take it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-08...spagenameZWDVW
how much of a difference could you tell between the stock billy's and the hd billys?? and yeah, they do look a a good bit bigger.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
how much of a difference could you tell between the stock billy's and the hd billys?? and yeah, they do look a a good bit bigger.
A good friend and I both replaced the factory Bilstein HD's with the replacement yellow HD's from Performance Products at the same time. We also replaced the tires at this time with Michelin LTX M/S. This was on '98 and '99 TRD trucks. We were both really impressed at the difference in ride and handling, but to be honest it may have been the combination of the two. I do think mine took the bumps a lot smoother with the new shocks but hey the old ones had 30,000 on them.
Kinda like someone driving your truck and saying its pulling right a little. You drive it every day and don't notice it changing day by day. I do feel the 5100's are as good or better than the new replacement HD's and the ability to adjust the lift to level, ect. is just a plus. I'm very happy with the 5100's and there is a big difference over the stock issue HD's. I only went to the .85" setting so my ride isn't as firm as some that have gone for more lift. When it comes time to replace tires I'll have to go with the Michelin's again. I'm 90% on pavement and not real radical when I do get off road and they fill my needs.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
The bilstein 5100's are only adjustable in the front, correct? To raise the rear either new leaf packs or blocks need to be used? I want to lift my truck not too much, about 2". I want to keep the rake in the truck so I have to lift the back as much as the front, I'm assuming. I don't want to get into dropping the diff or replacing brake lines. Are the 5100's plus a block or leaf packs the most economical way?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
The bilstein 5100's are only adjustable in the front, correct? To raise the rear either new leaf packs or blocks need to be used? I want to lift my truck not too much, about 2". I want to keep the rake in the truck so I have to lift the back as much as the front, I'm assuming. I don't want to get into dropping the diff or replacing brake lines. Are the 5100's plus a block or leaf packs the most economical way?
The 5100's are adjustable in the front only and I believe only for non lifted or not more than 2" over stock? I'm sure others can help you out on the blocks as I left mine stock height.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
That's correct. The rears are not adjustable. I have the 5100s front and back with the front set at 2.5 and the TSB leaf springs on the back with no blocks. The truck wells are the same height front and rear over the tires. If you had the TSB in the back (which lifts the back over stock) you could set the front to .85 or 1.75 and have a slight downward rake. If you don't have or want the TSB springs, you could lift the back. Measure from the top of your wheel straight up to the wheel well. My TSB springs lift the rear to 7.5" above the wheel.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
yak is on a distinguished road
yak's Tacoma Gallery
If I dont have TSB done, how high can i lift the front using this 5100?

EDIT: Do you even need TSB on 08?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak View Post
If I dont have TSB done, how high can i lift the front using this 5100?

EDIT: Do you even need TSB on 08?
The 5100's are adjustable to 4 heights, stock, .85", 1.75", and 2.5".
Your call on having the TSB done. If you only have 3 leafs total in the rear you don't have it, meaning Toyota is still sending out new trucks that way. The 08's aren't officially listed on the TSB as you can tell reading on here.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
2_wheels is on a distinguished road
2_wheels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
The 5100's are adjustable to 4 heights, stock, .85", 1.75", and 2.5".
Your call on having the TSB done. If you only have 3 leafs total in the rear you don't have it, meaning Toyota is still sending out new trucks that way. The 08's aren't officially listed on the TSB as you can tell reading on here.

So, is the TSB basically an add a leaf? how many leafs are there? After reading this forum for a couple days, I'm thinking the 5100's 2.5" and after market add a leafs.
Do you or anyone on this forum feel that the 5100's are really stiff set at the 2.5" mark? would I be better off going with a spacer and add a leaf?
greatly appreciated!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_wheels View Post
So, is the TSB basically an add a leaf? how many leafs are there? After reading this forum for a couple days, I'm thinking the 5100's 2.5" and after market add a leafs.
Do you or anyone on this forum feel that the 5100's are really stiff set at the 2.5" mark? would I be better off going with a spacer and add a leaf?
greatly appreciated!
Several have said they get quite stiff set at the full 2.5" setting.

I only went at .85" and love the ride after having both done. Only slightly more firm than the fleet type shocks that came on my TRD truck at that setting.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
i've got a 3" lift in the front. when i put the bilsteins on will i need to keep them at stock setting?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
i've got a 3" lift in the front. when i put the bilsteins on will i need to keep them at stock setting?
Yes.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #17
thekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thekidcatcher's Tacoma Gallery
Out of curiosity, I have the Toytec 3inch lift, I want the 5100 adjustable shocks for sure. What happens if you do put them above the stock setting? I am thinkin of getting the Total Chaos UCA and wonderin if by adjusting a little higher I could get rid of some rubbage.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidcatcher View Post
Out of curiosity, I have the Toytec 3inch lift, I want the 5100 adjustable shocks for sure. What happens if you do put them above the stock setting? I am thinkin of getting the Total Chaos UCA and wonderin if by adjusting a little higher I could get rid of some rubbage.
Do you have the OME spring?