Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Weird thought.....

Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Weird thought.....

I have a Fabtech AAL in my leaf pack now. I have TRD Billy's that do ZERO bit of good anymore. They have no uptravel and very little downtravel.

What if I took out the rear shocks all together? Would I have stability issues? Ride issues? Extra strain on the other components?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea what would happen. Kinda curious though. Seems like it would be kinda droopy and you would have a lot of body lean through corners.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I've been curious about this for a while. I would think it would be the same thing as taking your sway bar off..... a little more body roll in the turns
Old 02-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Put some shocks in there that aren't gas charged and don't spring out when you push them in. The ride will be better and they'll control the rebound better than having nothing. Like some Rancho's or Pro Comps, but non gas charged, they should resist when pushed in and also when being pulled out.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidcatcher View Post
I've taken mine off. You can tell the difference but I still feel perfectly safe without it; never had an OH SHIT moment.
Thats what I needed to hear. I mean my do nothing but just be there for show.. They are always extended out and never cushion over speed bumps or just bumps in general.

And I dont haul that much stuff. Its mostly just a few bags of pine bark during the Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
Put some shocks in there that aren't gas charged and don't spring out when you push them in. The ride will be better and they'll control the rebound better than having nothing. Like some Rancho's or Pro Comps, but non gas charged, they should resist when pushed in and also when being pulled out.
To be honest, these shocks are such crap and been though alot, I dont even think they will push in and pull out like they should.

This might be temporary until I get some funds for 5125s
Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
I have a Fabtech AAL in my leaf pack now. I have TRD Billy's that do ZERO bit of good anymore. They have no uptravel and very little downtravel.

What if I took out the rear shocks all together? Would I have stability issues? Ride issues? Extra strain on the other components?
you lifted your rear without adding longer shocks or a stock shock extender? that right there is your problem.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In response to you quoting me are you talkin about shocks or the sway bar?
the shocks. The sway bar was an example of my hypothesis. (I think I worded that right)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
you lifted your rear without adding longer shocks or a stock shock extender? that right there is your problem.
I ran out of funds.....
Old 02-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
I think you'll get a more bumpy ride in the rear because you have nothing dampening the compression and rebound of your rear leaf springs. Save up and get billy 5125.
Can't be worse than the feeling like a 5000 lbs block of concrete is bouncing in the bed when you go over a speed bump.. haha

I plan to soon...
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't take the shocks out lol. I was referring to the swaybar.
Oh alright. You had me going there!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
ShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
ShadowFalken's Tacoma Gallery
Bad shocks or no shocks will also increase stopping distance. The tires will be more likely to break contact with the road surface.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
buy a set of 2" shock extenders from vatzone and call it a day....until u can get better rear shock that is
Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Leafs keep the bed up.

Shocks keep the wheels down.

You ever seen a bagged truck with no shocks wiggle down the highway? I have, it was me, and it sucked lol Yup, your truck will wiggle side to side as well.

Simple, keep em on until you get new ones.

In the event that you did have an accident, I don't know that insurance would like you taking your suspension parts off and not replacing them lol
Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
Abron Cabron
NewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic; Ski Patrol; River Guide
Name: Abraham
NewMexiTaco's Tacoma Gallery
On my 91 standard cab the rear shocks got snapped, by getting winched kind of sideways when I got it super f-n stuck on a spooky icy hill...(long story) So I drove it for a couple weeks til I got the funds to fix it, and It was way sketchy to have no shocks. it was like the rear end was on a pogo stick. really bouncy on speed bumps and rollers at highway speed. (NM pavement is not exactly smooth) the shocks resist upward/ downward energy as stated above as well as provide torsional stability (resist body roll?)

So, umm save up for 5100s ? ....like someone told me... they spent millions of of dollars on engineering these trucks... do you really want to go change something (I.E. like adding a spacer lift for looks) ....thats my .02
BTW, I have been working on it myself... got 5100s and LR UCAs, which arent installed yet... still saving for dakar leafs, or maybe I shoulda just done the AAL too. $80 vs. $400...
anyway good luck mang
Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #17
Banned
PreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to all
PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
cool. maybe you can take the tires off too and go for a spin around the neighborhood. report back with findings. god speed.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunner View Post
cool. maybe you can take the tires off too and go for a spin around the neighborhood. report back with findings. god speed.
Thanks for the nice post. Now go away jerk...
Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
www.saveadane.org
Anathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anathollo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't take the shocks out lol. I was referring to the swaybar.
Leave your shocks on. They are still working regardless of travel. The toyota engineers are smart guys, and they designed tacoma's to have rear shocks for a reason.
Also, what if you got into a wreck and an insurance adjustor came out to look at your damaged truck? Those guys try to find ANY reason to deny you money and not having your rear shocks on will definitely be a way for them to deny you your claim.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #20
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I wasn't saying I was going to do that. It was just athought on IF I would be able to.