1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Critique my rear lift plan

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tim A, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    Tim A

Tim A [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    I've put some coilovers on the front and it looks great. Now for the rear, just gonna bring it up a little bit since I'm ~1" nose high now and a heavier rear bumper is in my near future.

Let me know what you think about this plan:

-OME N182 rear shocks
    -1.5" AAL
    -New 7.5" U-bolts (I read it's not good to reuse U-bolts, correct me if that's wrong so I can save $)
    -Not going to order shims unless I have problems after install

I read Chris4x4's AAL install but did not see any rear shock install tutorials...I'm guessing it's pretty straight forward. Pretty much any info you experienced guys can give me is very much appreciated.

2. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Sounds like a solid plan, and excellent call using new u-bolts.

When you're done with the installation take an angle grinder or sawzall and cut the bolts nice and tight. It's always best to buy them long and trim as needed.

Remember to re-torque the u-bolts after 100 miles.

The installation is going to be an enjoyable afternoon for you. Take lots of pictures along the way! :)

3. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I got new long u-bolts and trimmed them with a sawzall too. Be forewarned though, I burned through about 4 blades between the u-bolts and the centering pins. No big deal, they're cheap, just be sure to have several on hand. You can buy flat top, 2.5" u-bolts from random websites much cheaper than Toytec. Toytec is like $40, I think I remember seeing them for like half that price on other websites.

The set-up sounds great.

By the way, Chris's write-up on AAL installation worked just fine.

4. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    What's the draw back for reusing factory u bolts? If installing a 1.5 in AAL, is the stock U bolt too small to properly fit?

5. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Rust makes it tough to disassemble, but more than that the metal stretches when torqued. Considering these bolts are the only thing holding your rear axle to your truck, it's not worth skimping. People pay more than the cost of new u-bolts for products to clean their trucks.

It's not the place to cut costs.

6. Feb 25, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I'm sure millions of people have re-used them without incident. Some say they stretch (and therefore weaken), but IDK. Like MJP2 said, it's just not the place to skimp. They're all that are holding your axle to your truck and they're quite cheap in the big picture.

7. Feb 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    niit_train

niit_train Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    No mods, just extra accessories. Realtree bug shield, vent visors, and a custom Realtree Hunter 4X4 Bully
    The factor of the u-bolt stretching is not at all out of the question. It is called elongation, and the metal is having high torque applied, which in turn places the bolt into a tension system. The reasoning behind millions reusing the factory one without incident is due to adding more space for the nut. If a bolt has enough torque applied to elongate it, the elongation occurs past the friction point, which in this case is a washer. If a leaf were removed, then it is most likely that the nut will cease movement around the area where it was previuosly tightened to. It is still possible to go past this point, but it risks cross threading now or further down the line. If a leaf is added, the elongation point is past the area needed to acquire the proper tension specifications.

My theory is that the factory u-bolts could be re-used without incident as long as the new leaf is thicker. But if it were my truck, I would buy the new ones.

Just my $0.02.
    Hope this helps!

NT

8. Feb 25, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    Tim A

Tim A [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    Thanks much for the info guys. I just ordered all the stuff, can't wait to install it.

Products Discussed in

To Top