1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about the Bilstein 5100's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Lane Cypert, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Apr 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    Lane Cypert

Lane Cypert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 silver prerunner double cab TRD
    I was thinking about getting the Bilstein's 5100's for my new 2008 double card TRD sport and had a couple of questions. I would like some feedback from some people that have installed them or somebody knowledgeable about the product.

I would like to know if the 2.5 adjustable lift is just for the front or for the rear as well

I would like to know what if anything you would have to change in order to install them

I would like to know the difference in the ride of the 5100's vs the regular bilsteins that come on the TRD's as well as the durability of the shocks with them adjusted to the 2.5 inch lift.

Last I would like to know if this is the best mild lift for the money and one of the more durable.

I am new to the site so any help would be great! Thanks

2. Apr 15, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i just put some 5100's on the front about a month ago, here is what i have found out....

5100's are only adjustable in the front, the back are not. but you will have to find a way to lift the back a little if you are going to use 2.5 setting up front. if you have the tsb in the rear it may sit level, but since you have an 08 the tsb does not apply go you yet. i recomend an add a leaf for the back.

some people will tell you you only need to drop the front differential if you go 3" or over but i think you should probably do it if you use the 2.5" setting. i will be doing this sometime in the near future. 2.5 inches also affects the ability to align the front end. i have noticed that at highway speeds my truck wanders a little now and i have to constantly re-adjust to keep it straight. i have heard you can remedy this with new upper control arms, but its not completely necessary but the wandering is kind of annoying, i recomend the control arms.

the 5100's are a better ride than the stock shocks and much beefier. the problem is that when you set them at 2.5 inches you compress the springs more. for every size you go up the springs get more compressed, so at 2.5 the front end is much stiffer than stock but not bad.

i highly recomend these shocks but you need to know what you're getting into before you put them on. technically you can just bolt them and go but if you want to do it right you need to lower the diff and add the control arms. if you have any more questions feel free to post them and i'll answer if i can. also use the search function and you'll find some more info on the site. welcome to TW!

3. Apr 15, 2008 at 8:19 PM
    Lane Cypert

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all of your help! I love this site! One more quick question do you think the Bilstein 5100's in the front or the 2.75 lift level kit is better with a add a leaf spring in the back? I don't plan on doing very much offroading and I am mainly thinking about a lift for looks. With the lift level kit in the front would you still need to drop the fron differential? Do you know how the lift level effects the ride quality of the truck? I am trying to find out what is the best lift that will last 150K miles.

4. Apr 15, 2008 at 8:24 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    urs is a prerunner, so u dont have a differential...just 4x4's

5. Apr 15, 2008 at 8:34 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    oops...dbl post...DELETE ME ADMIN!!

6. Apr 16, 2008 at 6:55 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, i didnt even look to see if yours was a 2x4 or a 4x4. you dont have a front diff so you dont have to worry about dropping that. i would still go with the bilsteins. if you want to see what it looks like you can click on the camera under my avatar and see my gallary. adding shocks or springs for height is always better than adding spacers, and either way you will compress the springs so the ride will stiffen about the same amount

7. Apr 16, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    Lane Cypert

Member:
    Lewisville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Do I still need to get the control arms on the front since my truck is a prerunner or just bolt on the Bilstein 5100's and go on the lift on the front? Also I was wondering the best way to lift the rear to make the truck level. Since I can't get the TSB add a leaf for the rear since my truck is an 08. I was wondering the best place to get a add a leaf from the internet and if there is a certain size recommended? Also is the add leaf on the rear the best mild lift for the rear. Do you recommend getting the rear 5100's as well. Thanks again for all of your help!

8. Apr 16, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    mrbjr

mrbjr Active Member

Member:
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust,TRD Sport seat covers, Tube steps,Access Limited Bed Cover,WeatherTech floor mats, Billet Grill,AFE CAI,8"Shorty Antenna,ScanGaugeII.,5100s f/set @ .85, Console Safe.., Pirelli ATR's..,RoadMaster active suspension
    Before you think that you can not get the rear TSB done on an '08 do a quick search. It all depends on the dealer and Toyota Corporate. I and many others on these forums got it done on our '08s.. It is really how well you can communicate your unhappiness with the " Harsh" ride the current suspension affords.

9. Apr 16, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The control arms are pricey (about another $500-800). I don't have them on mine. I don't think mine is affected as much as ND's. I noticed a slight difference when I first put them on but I quickly got used to it. The wheels on mine look like they're slightly angled in at the bottom. I believe control arms allow the truck's wheels to be aligned easier with a lift so it isn't a 4wd/2wd thing.

I have the 5100s front and rear. I was originally going to just get the front but I got a good deal on eBay for a new set. Front & Rears for $269 shipped so I went with both (he's still selling them on there). I think the ride is still quite nice. I have mine set to 2.5" on the front.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Apr 16, 2008 at 11:10 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    For 2.5" of lift, aftermarket Control Arms is overkill and not needed.

11. Apr 16, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    is there a spindle lift for the pre-runners?

12. Apr 16, 2008 at 11:35 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yes there is. It gives you 4" of lift up front.

I could be wrong but I believe it is very pricey. I want to say a $1000 but I can't remember where I got that number.

13. Apr 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    you dont actually NEED the control arms. like i said before, i have a "wandering" problem at high speeds now. its easily controlable but it bothers me that my brand new truck handles more like my brothers old bronco at high speeds. if i were you i would put the 5100's on and see if you have an issue or not. if you dont notice a wandering steering wheel on the interstate then dont waste the money on them. i just mentioned them because i'mthinkng about them. AAL is the best mild lift for the back in my opinion. try toyteclifts.com or look around at some local shops. you can try for the toyota TSB but i doubt you'll get it, plus the other AAL's usually give you slightly more height. i love the 5100's and would love tohave them for the back, i will definately be doing that when i can

14. Apr 16, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    thats what i thought, and i thought the same thing about a diff drop kit but my truck seems way more affected from teh added height than i thought it would be. the shop i took it too couldn't get the caster right when they aligned it and it sways noticably on the highway and i get alot of creaking and moaning when i pull into or back out of parkings spots (not sure what that is yet) I may be droping back down to the 1.75 setting. i hate to lose lift but i'm afraid its wrecking the front of my truck unlessi spend some money to make it right

15. Apr 16, 2008 at 5:08 PM
    TACOMAN22

TACOMAN22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    agoura hills
    Vehicle:
    Debadged TRD offroad, bhlm, black surround grill,
    K&N drop in air filter,flowmaster 40 series, blue interior neon, bhlm, color matched grill, alpine head unit w/ infinity reference series speakers, insane driver.....
    if you put 33's on with the 2.5 setting will they fit?

16. Apr 16, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    You have to trim to get them to fit without rub. Even with a 3" lift you have to trim.

17. Oct 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    ninja_taco

ninja_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    Vanillarama Pinetree Scent
    i just put the 5100's on set at 2.5 with AAL in rear and i notice a slight vibe when i get to 60mph. im waiting til this friday to get tires (paycheck) and i planned on getting alignment done then. do i need a diff drop to stop the vibes? if so, what do you guys suggest and where can they be ordered?

i have a 4 cyl reg cab 4x4 if that info is needed

18. Oct 8, 2009 at 1:03 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    are you feeling the vibe from the steering wheel or from the rear end?

19. Oct 8, 2009 at 1:23 AM
    ninja_taco

ninja_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    Vanillarama Pinetree Scent
    slightly steering wheel and hard to tell. more under my booty. i need to stress that its not a violent vibration, its just noticeable

20. Oct 8, 2009 at 2:43 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    for some it seems that the diff drop will help and others it seems to make worse. definately get the alignment after a good balance on the new tires and see how it does. if you are still having the vibes you can try the diff drop and see how yours takes it. i'm suspecting that the tens of different products to lift the front are to blame for the hit and miss troubleshooting for vibes.

Products Discussed in

To Top