1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lift kit 2.25 inches VS 3 inches

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Davidgaud, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Apr 23, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Your best bang for the buck would be to get some 2" spacers to level the front and you'll be set. Ride quality won't be affected in any way and there will be no change in your towing capacity.

If you'd like to improve the ride a bit and don't mind dropping a chunk of change, get a set of Icon Dynamics coilovers instead of the spacer.

Either way, I think you'll be happy with the results. :thumbsup:

2. Apr 23, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    so what would be the difference in getting spacers, or getting the lift for if i wanted to do hardcore 4wheeling? just the price and the change in suspension and all that? and would getting a lift kit like that affect the ride on normal streets?

3. Apr 23, 2008 at 11:52 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    There are more differences than you could imagine, and it's all based on how the truck is used.

An all-out offroad suspension will typically ride like hell on the road. Some have lots of body roll, and some have really stiff coils for absorbing hard landings after jumps and ride like rocks on the road.

That's not to say that a daily driver cannot be a capable offroader. It's just harder (and more expensive) to have the best of both worlds.

Everything is designed for a specific use. You could spend the rest of your life learning about all the different designs and still not know everything there is, so it's best to figure out what you plan on doing with your truck and focus on components for that type of driving.

4. Apr 23, 2008 at 12:02 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    so if i got a 3" Pro Basic Kit, would it be compatible with my life style? mainly cruising and towing, with minimal-medium off roading? because i dont know the difference between that and the 3” Lift Coil Kit with AAL :confused:

5. Apr 23, 2008 at 12:07 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    The package you mentioned will not change your ride quality or tow capacity, so that should be a good match.

The kit with the coils is just that. Instead of a 3" block of aluminum moving the mount for your stock coilovers down, it replaces your stock coils to provide the lift.

6. Apr 23, 2008 at 12:47 PM
    esanvilla

esanvilla Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    06' 4X4 Desert Sand
    Hunter Bull Bar, Undercover, Bridgestone Revo's, Debadged.
    An AAL will help with loading and possibly towing so that the back doesn't squat as much. I just lifted with a 2.25" fatbobs kit and the ride is close to stock. I would not recommend lifting just for looks as I am ashamed to admit I did. :eek: I couldn't get over the way it looked like a 2wheel drive from far away. Now it looks like a 4X4.
    The best advice anybody has given is to keep your center of gravity as low as possible, especially for a lot of street driving, which means if you absolutely need 285/75 tires then lift the front as much as needed and then trim where needed. You don't need a lift for mildly aggressive 265/75 tires.

7. Apr 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors

8. Apr 27, 2008 at 9:17 AM
    gpspowell

gpspowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TDR CAI, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Old Man Emu 2 1/2" lift kit (886s & Dakars), Full All Pro armor inc. locker guard, Custom fuel tank armor, All Pro Rock Sliders, ARB front bumper, IPF 800XS Driving Lights, Ramsey REP 8000 winch, Centerline wheels, 285X75X16 Michelin LT AT2s, Snug Top shell, SoundLinQ audio interface for my iPod.
    Not the cheapest way, but if going very far off-road I'd look at a 2 1/2" "Old Man Emu" kit. Stiffens the ride slightly while increasing travel by the amount of the lift. The factory struts/springs are too soft for off-road (IMHO). I put a rock THROUGH the factory skid pan before OME mod to prove it to myself.

9. Apr 27, 2008 at 2:33 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    well i needed and wanted more then just spacers. i looked at ome and it was way more expensive then the skyjacker suspension lift with add a leaf. the billstein shocks are suppose to be pretty good but i didnt even have those. I also got new struts and shocks with the skyjacker lift and still came out pretty good. i mean it wasnt so cheap for all that but for all that i came out better then fabtec, ome and most others.

10. May 5, 2008 at 9:48 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    so ive really been looking into a toytec lift kit since ive seen what they look like and i like em, heres the link

however at the top of the screen it says "Will NOT fit trucks with 5 lug wheel"... is this just for the prerunner and what does it mean by 5 lug wheels? does that mean the wheels have 5 lug nuts instead of six? or does it mean since im carrying a normal tire under my truck and not a quick fix spare the lift wont work?

11. May 6, 2008 at 3:42 AM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    does that mean the wheels have 5 lug nuts instead of six?
    thas what it means.

Products Discussed in

To Top