Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Davidgaud is on a distinguished road

Davidgaud's Tacoma Gallery
lift kit 2.25 inches VS 3 inches

Hi guys, anyone know the difference between these two lift kits for the font
wheels ?
I bought the 3 inches from Fatbobsgarage but when i opened the box
the strut spacer do not look like 3 inches....it near 2 inches but never 3
so i imagine the 2.25 the real measure must be one inch.
tomorrow i will install it but i think iam going to have a surprise with
a lift smaller than 3 inches !?!?!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Are you running 2wd or 4wd? Anything over 2.5" on a 4wd stresses the CV joints and tends to tear the CV boots quicker than it should. Really, any amount of lift will add to the CV joint stress but it gets pretty bad over 2.5" on our trucks.

Depending on how much lift you actually end up with you may want to consider a differential drop kit. The spacers are 1" thick, but since the differential on the late-model Tacomas pivots from the rear, the net drop will be more like 1/2". Still, it'll help.

Post pictures when you're done with the install, and take before and after shots with measurements from the ground so you'll see what the difference is. If you're swapping out tires at the same time, measure from the hub centerline to isolate the change from the lift alone.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
esanvilla is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air National Guard
esanvilla's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting my lift today from fatbobsgarage.com and it is the 2.25" spacer. I think it is supposed to be smaller than what it says because is has something to do with the geometry. To get to the point I think yours is 3".
Did you use the promotional code "hero". It would have got ya a 10% discount.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
And I didn't get the diff drop because I only went 2.25", if it looks bad I may still go ahead and put one on later.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #5

hey, they forgot to send me my drop diff haha
I would be glad to have this promotion code two week ago !!!!

I will post picture and measurements tomorrow or friday.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidgaud View Post
hey, they forgot to send me my drop diff haha
I would be glad to have this promotion code two week ago !!!!

I will post picture and measurements tomorrow or friday.
Sorry, I just found out last week right before I ordered. I will also post some pics.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #7

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\dave\Desktop\Truc_david_004.jpg[/IMG]Finally its done !!!! ... here the measurements for my lift kit of 3 inches in the front and a 2 inches (add a leaf in the rear):
at the center of the wheels in front:
before 34.5 inches and after 40 1/4
rear:
before 37.5 inches and after 42
its more than 3 inches because of my 33 inches tires.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #8

the picture do not works how can i put some pics in here ?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the picture do not works how can i put some pics in here ?
you have to attach it to the post(the little paper clip), or put the picture in your TW galley and then embed it in the post.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #10

Hey ok i just put some pics in my gallery....i will add some in the next weekend for a view by the rear and the front.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
With Fatbob's 2.25" lift: on uneven driveway.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
jtaco is on a distinguished road
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like it is meant to level the ride out because from factory toyota has front lower then back . i got one from skyjacker also with ad aleaf in the back. But to reduce axel wear because of lift , there is a diff drop down spacer kit here for good price--> http://www.extremetrucktoys.com/5-6_tac_lift.htm
Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
[quote=mjp2;81051]Are you running 2wd or 4wd? Anything over 2.5" on a 4wd stresses the CV joints and tends to tear the CV boots quicker than it should.

do you mean it will stress more while in 4wd? or just having a 4wd taco in general?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hi guys, anyone know the difference between these two lift kits for the font
wheels ?
3/4".
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=awoit;83398]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Are you running 2wd or 4wd? Anything over 2.5" on a 4wd stresses the CV joints and tends to tear the CV boots quicker than it should.

do you mean it will stress more while in 4wd? or just having a 4wd taco in general?
Since there aren't manual hubs on the 4x4s, the CV joints are always turning. Granted, they're not under the same load as when the transfer case is engaged, but they are turning. As for the boots, it's the angle that kills them rather than load.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #16

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=mjp2;83422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoit View Post

Since there aren't manual hubs on the 4x4s, the CV joints are always turning. Granted, they're not under the same load as when the transfer case is engaged, but they are turning. As for the boots, it's the angle that kills them rather than load.
srry im a little confused, so if i have a 4WD truck is it bad for me to get say a 3' lift from toytec?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #17

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
srry im a little confused, so if i have a 4WD truck is it bad for me to get say a 3' lift from toytec?
Very bad to get a 3 foot lift. 3" is another story.

Not bad at all. Just expect additional maintenance in the future from parts wearing out quicker than they would in stock form due to the increased angles on the CV joints and boots. It comes with the territory.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #18

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
so say i wanted to get something like a 2.5-3 inch lift for my 08 TRD access cab. what would be the best lift i could get from http://www.toyteclifts.com/0507tacoc...07tacoliftkits ?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #19

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so say i wanted to get something like a 2.5-3 inch lift for my 08 TRD access cab. what would be the best lift i could get from http://www.toyteclifts.com/0507tacoc...07tacoliftkits ?
"Best" is subjective, of course. It really depends on how you anticipate using your truck. Are you just looking to level it? Lift it a little to fit larger tires and run on-road most of the time? Spend a lot of time offroad? Rock-crawling, desert running, or trail cruising?

Each suspension option is good for a particular application, so start with that and your best option should present itself.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #20

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
id like to have it mainly just for the looks of the lift , but i also plan on doing some mellow 4X4, nothing too much that can damage my baby, just stuff like dirt trails and humps. also does lifting my truck have any type of affect on my towing capabilities?