1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2-wheel vs 4-wheel allignment

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dylandercole, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    I jsut cranked up my coilovers about an inch and im thinking about going another half inch. obviously Ill need an alignment soon. So my question is do I need a 4 wheel allignment or can I just get the 2 wheel? I got a 4 wheel allignment last september I think.

2. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    Dunno the answer to your question, but I've been throwing in a good word for Fire Stone auto centers. Paid $150 for life time alignments! My local place is pretty good about letting me come in whenever, came in twice in a week! Plus they'll rotate my tires for free. Something to look into if your interested.

3. Mar 7, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Generally..... on a vehicle with sold axles & leaf springs (in the rear), you don't need to allign the rear. Only the front needs allignment.

There really isn't anything in the rear for them to adjust.

4. Mar 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    that makes sense. good to know. saves me some moohla

5. Mar 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    Don't waste money on the 4 wheel alignment because there is no adjustments in the rear even if it is off, which it shouldn't be. Actually that's really dick if they charge you for a 4 wheel alignment knowing that they can;t adjust the rear.

6. Mar 9, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Sometimes the rear toe can be off slightly. If you just had a rear alignment in sept. And you haven't done anything to the rear then you should be good!

7. Mar 9, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    right on. I jsut dont want to spend an arm and a leg on an alignment that Im just getting to be safe. Since my springs settles Im at the height that I originally was when I out the coilovers on and got the alignment. So it shouldnt be too off anyways

8. Mar 9, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Not entirely true- You can end up with the rear thrust angle off. The thrust angle is the angle between the axle and the frame. Ideally: 0- Meaning the axle and frame are perpendicular.

However, installing an AAL, new leaf pack, swapping the rear end, or hitting or being hit by something can cause that rear end to shift. Gotta loosen up the ubolts, move the axle around back close to 0, and then torque them down. You should know if you need to worry about this tho.

I would go with the 2 wheel option- Or like was mentioned before- Get the Firestone life time deal- Pays for itself in 3 or 4 trips to the shop.

9. Mar 9, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    Yeah the firestopn seems like the way to go. I just dont even know where there is one around here

10. Mar 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Most chain type places will do the same thing...or maybe like a three year unlimited deal or what ever.

11. Mar 9, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    I went to wheel works last time and they didnt have anything like that. they suck

12. Mar 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    yea know your local firestone guy before hand.....or u will be throwing your money away
    see my other post firestones suck out here

13. Mar 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure that I'd blame your problem entirely on Firestone- My bet is if someone knew what to do with your LRs to get them set up the first time- Firestone would be able to keep it there.

Those guys aren't custom fab/aftermarket experts....They get the training to wrench on the basics and they have the computer/book for all the cars that come in...but yours takes a little extra work.
    The other thing is those guys get paid like hookers- By the job. So he can spend 2 hours working on your truck...or 30 mins and align a normal car. Not putting alot of effort into extra work on your rig makes sense.

The guys at my Firestone didn't say a word about the lift cause I used the TC UCAs and didn't make a big deal out of it. It worked right the first time...

14. Mar 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    last time they couldnt get the caster within spec but everything else was fine. I figures the caster isnt a big deal because I wasnt wandering to begin with

Products Discussed in

To Top