Notices

Vibes after OME lift - need help resolving the issue

Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Long Range Practical Marksman
ACE_Taco will become famous soon enoughACE_Taco will become famous soon enough
Navy: Aviation Ordnance
ACE_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Vibes after OME lift - need help resolving the issue

Well, I installed the OME 885s w/9000 shocks on the front of my 2008 DC. I have the 182s on the rear, with the TSB Leafs only. Front was lifted approximately 2.5". After the install, vibes in the driver floor board between 25-35 mph were present.

I then installed the OME CB Drop kit and it made it worse. I removed it. Then, I installed the Diff. Drop and it made no change, so I removed it. All tires and wheels are balanced out GTG. Alignment was ok.

After a 400+ mile journey, they seemed to have subsided. Over the weekend, I installed new TC UCAs, and the vibes are now WORSE! WTF???? I had it aligned yesterday and it aligned beautifully, but vibes are still there.

I had the dealership drive it and they said all looked good on the driveline. They said it possibly could be the stiff TSB springs or the shitty BFG Rugged Trail tires. I plan on buying new tires, but none of this was present before the lift.

Where should I check next??? I am running out of ideas and getting pretty damn annoyed!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Axle shims are the only thing that I think is left. Tires could be the issue....cause after you change the alignment from the stock to lifted the tire wear could be off- but I wouldn't think that would be so bad.....
How do axle shims help?? Doesn't it address the driveline issue like the CB Drop??
Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE_Taco View Post
How do axle shims help?? Doesn't it address the driveline issue like the CB Drop??
It does...but from the other end-
and if you are sure that all the bolts are tight and everything else is right....I'm pretty out of ideas.

I can't see why the UCAs would make it worse.....but ::shrug::

Hopefully Chris12x9 stops by soon
Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
I used the axel shims with my rear aal and I only have that 0-10mph little vibe so they may help your problem too good luck with it.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
twr437 is just really nicetwr437 is just really nicetwr437 is just really nicetwr437 is just really nice

Name: Tim
twr437's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

CB drop and Diff drop combined fixed my vibs.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Not sure if the TC UCAs changed anything in the vibe zone. The only thing I did was remove the wheel and install. Maybe it is the wheel/tire. Not only does the vibe happen when accelerating, but also when decelerating. Almost seems like a pulsating vibe/rub.

BTW, I have had the Diff. Drop Spacer and CB Spacer installed at the same time, and the vibes were still there.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like the same thing that I have, and no one seems to have an answer, and there are pages and pages of info.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...placement.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=111902

If you figure it out, let me know, as there are many others from what I have read too.

Do the vibes go away when you engage 4x4? If so, the TN post is your issue.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
twr437 is just really nicetwr437 is just really nicetwr437 is just really nicetwr437 is just really nice

Name: Tim
twr437's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe try the axel shims as well......
Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter247 View Post
It sounds like the same thing that I have, and no one seems to have an answer, and there are pages and pages of info.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...placement.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=111902

If you figure it out, let me know, as there are many others from what I have read too.

Do the vibes go away when you engage 4x4? If so, the TN post is your issue.

Just drove the truck in and out of 4WD. The vibes are greatly reduced in 4WD. I have read through the TN Thread. I am going to the dealership and see if I can get some help. Shit is frustrating as hell.......
Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Just drove the truck in and out of 4WD. The vibes are greatly reduced in 4WD. I have read through the TN Thread. I am going to the dealership and see if I can get some help. Shit is frustrating as hell.......
Yea, well at least you have a warranty. Im on my own with this. One guy said that hes been driving with it this way for 20000 mi, so it doesnt make me that leary. I think that at worst from a mechanic that I talked to, the U joints will wear out faster.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #12
Quote:
Yea, well at least you have a warranty. Im on my own with this. One guy said that hes been driving with it this way for 20000 mi, so it doesnt make me that leary. I think that at worst from a mechanic that I talked to, the U joints will wear out faster.
Well, the truck went in yesterday. The CVs, Driveshafts, etc,, looked good. Not loose or bad on the front diff. like some have mentioned. They even took tires and wheels off of another TRD, and still had the vibes. At least that eliminates a tire/wheel issue. Quite possibly could be the angles of the DL. I have a set of 3* axle shims that are going on next. If that doesn't work, the truck will be launched off a cliff....
Old 03-11-2010, 05:57 AM   #13

Good luck buddy..give us an update once they figure it out.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #14
Quote:
Good luck buddy..give us an update once they figure it out.
Thanks.. Will do. Hope I find it and no one else has to go through this aggrevating crap......
Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Updated

Got the shims on and torqued. I drove the truck and still had vibes. I then put the OME CB Drop Spacer in and had vibes, but they seem to be a little better. Should I try the Front Diff spacer again?? If I can't get them quite gone, will it hurt to leave the CB Drop and axle shims in??

What next??????
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got the shims on and torqued. I drove the truck and still had vibes. I then put the OME CB Drop Spacer in and had vibes, but they seem to be a little better. Should I try the Front Diff spacer again?? If I can't get them quite gone, will it hurt to leave the CB Drop and axle shims in??

What next??????

Everything on the front is propperly torqued, Right?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Everything on the front is propperly torqued, Right?

Yes. I followed the install sticky and torqued to specs listed in the Toyota Service Leaflets. TC UCA uni-ball bolt torqued as per TC recommendation. (100 ft-lbs)

I got to thinking about when I removed the stock UCAs last week and installed the TC UCAs. It appeared the vibes were more noticeable. Is there any chance that when I remove the stock UCAs it dissrupted something in the CVs?? As in, when you remove the bolt, the weight makes the spindle lay over to the right or left. May be a long shot, but just grabbing for straws....
Old 03-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes. I followed the install sticky and torqued to specs listed in the Toyota Service Leaflets. TC UCA uni-ball bolt torqued as per TC recommendation. (100 ft-lbs)

I got to thinking about when I removed the stock UCAs last week and installed the TC UCAs. It appeared the vibes were more noticeable. Is there any chance that when I remove the stock UCAs it dissrupted something in the CVs?? As in, when you remove the bolt, the weight makes the spindle lay over to the right or left. May be a long shot, but just grabbing for straws....
That shouldnt have hurt anything....
Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #19
Guess I'll pull off the front wheels and torques check everything. OK to leave the shims and CB drop in??
Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
Well, I took out the axle shims and CB drop, because I still had vibes. Today, I removed the front wheels and loosened everything. I then went through every bolt and torqued to spec. Still have vibes.

I have tried it all, now what???????