Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Questions on heim/sperical rod ends

Old 03-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Questions on heim/sperical rod ends

I have seen some custom steering and sway bar end links that are heim/sperical rod ends vs a metal sleeve in a rubber or poly bushing. Other than increased strength what do these ends offer? Will someone running 2.5" 3" coil overs with a relacement upper control arm see any addtional flex? Do the effect ride quality or transmitted vibrations in any kind of negative or positive way? Anyone with any knowledge that could enlighten me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you see them? On IFS or solid axle applications?

I can't speak for IFS....but I had them on my Jeep Wrangler. I changed the entire steering setup (tie-rod & drag link) with beefier bars & heim joints to get the steering geometry accurate.

As for IFS...I'm gonna guess you won't see any noticable extra flex. Disconnect the sway bar completely and you'll see better flex than with it connected. IFS flex is determined by the coil/strut - not the steering linkages.

In solid axle situations...it's a different ballgame. Hard to explain and not sure what type of info you're looking for.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Allpro has this...

http://allprooffroad.com/05tacomasteering

So I was wondering.

I am used to solid axle jeeps... just got my 4x4 offroad Tacoma a few days ago and way behind on IFS set ups.