1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions on heim/sperical rod ends

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DevL, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Mar 10, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have seen some custom steering and sway bar end links that are heim/sperical rod ends vs a metal sleeve in a rubber or poly bushing. Other than increased strength what do these ends offer? Will someone running 2.5" 3" coil overs with a relacement upper control arm see any addtional flex? Do the effect ride quality or transmitted vibrations in any kind of negative or positive way? Anyone with any knowledge that could enlighten me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mar 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Where did you see them? On IFS or solid axle applications?

I can't speak for IFS....but I had them on my Jeep Wrangler. I changed the entire steering setup (tie-rod & drag link) with beefier bars & heim joints to get the steering geometry accurate.

As for IFS...I'm gonna guess you won't see any noticable extra flex. Disconnect the sway bar completely and you'll see better flex than with it connected. IFS flex is determined by the coil/strut - not the steering linkages.

In solid axle situations...it's a different ballgame. Hard to explain and not sure what type of info you're looking for.

3. Mar 10, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Allpro has this...

So I was wondering.

I am used to solid axle jeeps... just got my 4x4 offroad Tacoma a few days ago and way behind on IFS set ups.

4. Mar 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
    all pro makes a upgraded steering kit for like 500 its way more beef than stock and has better joints than stock but travel is limited by shocks\a arms

Products Discussed in

To Top