LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

creaking and moaning

Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
creaking and moaning

i know what you're thinking but no, i'm not talkin about your mama's bed. BAM!

Ok now that i got that out of the way here comes the serious part. after i installed my 5100's at 2.5 i hear some moaning and creaking from the front end when i turn it all the way in one direction. mostly pulling into and out of parking spots. any ideas? am i hearing the CV joints? are they unhappy? input is appreciated. thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
i know what you're thinking but no, i'm not talkin about your mama's bed. BAM!
Funny, I was thinking exactly that when I read the thread title.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Crossmember? 'Creaking' is usually a symptom of load bearing parts-maybe the new stuff caused a shift in weight on the frame or crossmember?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

I'm thinking CV joints. Two things:

1. Inspect your CV boots and see if there's any grease splattered around. If you see grease, you've got a torn boot. With that, the CV joints won't be properly lubricated and will get dirt in there.

2. Install a differential drop kit. Dirt cheap, quick, and easy to do. (ahem)

This thread is too easy!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I'm thinking CV joints. Two things:

1. Inspect your CV boots and see if there's any grease splattered around. If you see grease, you've got a torn boot. With that, the CV joints won't be properly lubricated and will get dirt in there.
I had this happen to my 95 Mazda in highschool. It made some weird grinding and moaning noises. I could also feel it in the steering wheel when I made turns. From what I remember it did it more when I turned to the right. Turned out that the boot was practically none existent and had to be replaced. Hopefully your CV joints aren't damaged.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i need to get a diff drop kit soon, i was planning on that anyway. but i only lifted 2.5 inches, i didnt think it would cause any damage anytime in the near future. i figured my CV's would wear a little faster than stock but not too bad. i guess it's more of a creaking and popping, i just said "moaning" so i could throw in the "your mama joke". i know popping is CV joints but i just didnt think a small lift would affect it like this. to do a diff drop you have to lower your skid plate with spacers dont you?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
yeah i need to get a diff drop kit soon, i was planning on that anyway. but i only lifted 2.5 inches, i didnt think it would cause any damage anytime in the near future. i figured my CV's would wear a little faster than stock but not too bad. i guess it's more of a creaking and popping, i just said "moaning" so i could throw in the "your mama joke". i know popping is CV joints but i just didnt think a small lift would affect it like this. to do a diff drop you have to lower your skid plate with spacers dont you?
I'll let you know in a week. My BudBuilt skids should be arriving tomorrow.

It's so subtle that it shouldn't make much of a difference with the way things line up. Are you still running the factory tin? If so, that thing can be molded and bent into any shape required.

The front diff on our trucks pivots from the rear, so the 1" spacers in the front will drop the diff an effective 1/2". It's not much, but it's enough to make a difference.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #8

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I'll let you know in a week. My BudBuilt skids should be arriving tomorrow.

It's so subtle that it shouldn't make much of a difference with the way things line up. Are you still running the factory tin? If so, that thing can be molded and bent into any shape required.

The front diff on our trucks pivots from the rear, so the 1" spacers in the front will drop the diff an effective 1/2". It's not much, but it's enough to make a difference.
yeah, as of now i'm running the paper thin "skid plate" from teh factory. i didnt even think about banging it out to make room, thats a good idea. i checked my CV boots and they look fine and no leaking. i dont know if this is normal after a lift or not, i've never lifted anything before. but every time it does it i cringe and think about my baby hurting
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
hey nd. I think it might be your sway bar binding up. this is what mine sounds like too on occasion, and i've heard of this before. theres someone out there that makes a billet aluminum spacer to relocate the mount where it bolts to the frame. i'll have to look a little bit for you.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
to do a diff drop you have to lower your skid plate with spacers dont you?
on my kit i had no problem reinstalling the stock skid after my diff drop. check out extremetrucktoys.com
Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #11

i think this is what you need:

Its from All Pro: http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.p...sk=view&id=123
Old 04-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #12

nd's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the input xtreme. i appreciate you taking the time to look all that up
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #13

Quote:
thanks for the input xtreme. i appreciate you taking the time to look all that up
sure, no problem nd.