Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help find the 3" lift for me

Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
TacomaLove will become famous soon enoughTacomaLove will become famous soon enough
Name: Brent
TacomaLove's Tacoma Gallery
Help find the 3" lift for me

hello TW! 1st timer here

intro: With the help of Mom and pop i just bought my 06 tacoma 2 weeks ago and im absolutely in love a huge upgrade from my 91 cavalier! I now have the mod bug I have never been that big of a car/truck person so this is all completely new to me.

the goods: I have an 06 tacoma access cab and ive put in a sub/amp (payed 60 for the install) and a toolbox is on its way i now am looking into powdercoating the rims, painting the badges black, BHLM and finally what brings me into the suspension section a Lift!

I only have a budget of 500.00 (including alignment) at the very most more like 400. I have been researching around and the most popular choice seems to be the billy 5100s.

Would 5100s in the front and AAL in the back be good?

What would you guys recommend? I know it depends somewhat on the truck and im all very new to this.

I dont plan to be doing off roading any time soon (maybe when the truck is older) i just love the lifted look.

Thanks! and i look forward to learning and maybe one day contributing from TW.
JBD
Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
There are other alternatives to 3" suspension lift like new coils from OME. I would save up more towards your goals so you will be happier in the end. It never ends because at 3" suspension lift, if you can't get your alignment back in spec you need new UCA's. Even some suggest UCA's with 2.5" max 5100's.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
TacomaLove will become famous soon enoughTacomaLove will become famous soon enough
well i wouldnt want to do anything that would hurt the ride of my truck id be looking for a smoother ride hopefully.

2.5inch would be fine 2 might be fine also i just want it to be noticeable that ive done something to my truck and something that will look/ride really nice

Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing will really make your ride smoother if you lift. If you want a solid 2.5-3" lift I would go OME.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
a 1.75 inch lift would work as long as you guys think the differance is noticeable its hard to tell in some of the pictures and OME kit runs for around 700 from what ive seen id have to save up and im not really sure if i want a lift 800$ bad.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You will notice. Especially with a larger size tires.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
What about the new Fabtech 3"?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
thats the thing i wont be able to buy tires for a good bit because my parents and they paid for 1/2 my truck...

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Would this be a good setup overall?
i could use the fronts at 2.5 or 1.75 and it would still be fairly level right?

If i got this lift and kept my stock rims/tires would it look funny? Also im really new to all this i can put any size tire on my stock rims right? because i just think im going to powdercoat them black to save some money

Thanks for the replys i really appreciate it
Old 03-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
bump

how do bumps work on here guys? just within reason? thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #10

Lift it now and run the stock tires bald or buy them all at once. Eventually you will need tires. As far as funny looking. Who cares...it will be noticable that you added a lift but its not 6" so it should look more proportionate.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
kd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rocky
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
I used this 3 in lift. It was (with shipping) $189.00. At one point I will change the UCA when cash allows.

http://www.extremetrucktoys.com/5-6_tac_lift.htm
Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
kd8 i have read that spacers dont make for a good ride.

so you guys think those billys and the AAL would work well? i have a 6 lug btw

and i can put bigger tires on my stock rims right im new to this i dont want to have to trim the truck either...
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
Banned
PreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to allPreRunner is a name known to all
PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaLove View Post
kd8 i have read that spacers dont make for a good ride.

so you guys think those billys and the AAL would work well? i have a 6 lug btw

and i can put bigger tires on my stock rims right im new to this i dont want to have to trim the truck either...
for your budget id say the billies and AAL are definately your best bet.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
would i be risking messing up the truck in anyway with this setup? like needing to get UCAs or anything? and will the ride be very similar?

im just trying to understand what im getting into
thanks guys and im open to suggestions

and i can put bigger tires on my stock rims no problem right?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #15

I suggest UCA's if you can't get your alignment in spec. Your stock wheels should be fine up to 33 x 12.50 but you need to run wheel spacers to clear the UCA's.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #16
man thx for trying to help but i really dont understand the working of everything.. is there a good site that can explain to me how the suspension works and tires.. pretty much the whole truck.

the allignment with a 1.75 lift shouldnt be difficult to get in spec without UCAs right? i dont really want to go to UCAs because of how expensive they seem to be and if i was going a route where they would be needed it would be better to save up and buy a toytec kit or something of that natue. Thanks
Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #17
Hunter423
Hunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant future

Name: hunter
Hunter423's Tacoma Gallery
my and my buddie installed a 3", 2" on my 08 taco and i didnt have to get new uca's or rear shocks even tho i did just install some new skyjacker nitro 8000 shocks
Old 03-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #18
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
procomp has a nice lift for about 450...but you will need uca's with it.

http://www.wotm.com/pr3liki0tapr.html

I run this lift and love it.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
yea UCAs are not what im looking for

im starting to think that maybe billys with eibauch (something like this) springs in the front and just leaving the back or would you guys suggest a AAL or back billys also?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #20
tacoma gurl is on a distinguished road

Name: jordan
tacoma gurl's Tacoma Gallery
i think before you do anything you need to go into the suspension and lifts section and read up......thats what i did....lots of good info