1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tacoma newb please help 95 2wd xtra cab tacoma

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ninety five taco, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mar 24, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    ninety five taco

ninety five taco [OP] Member

Member:
    bay area ca
    Vehicle:
    1995 2wd tacoma xtra cab
    I just bought a pair of 4wd leaf springs,(4 leafs) to replace my 2wd leaf springs ( 3 leaf) , does anyone know if this is doable? and does anyone know if 4wd model shocks should match the springs? I also noticed looking at some pics, that the spring is over the axle on 4wd, my 2wd springs are on the bottom...

2. Mar 24, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Not exactly sure but there might be some issues. The springs need to be the same width, and the same length eye to eye. If those are the same they should work. If they do 'fit' you'll still need to flip the locating pin so that the nut-end of it is on the bottom instead of the top.///// or you can have some new leaf perches welded on the top of your axle (like the 4x4s) and this will give you about 4" of lift if you like the hot rod look.jk

About the shocks I dunno but I doubt thay are the same type and it won't really matter anyway, however, the 4pack will probably be more ridgid than the 3 pack and it might be 'too springy' for your shocks; you might need beefier shocks.

3. Mar 24, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    ninety five taco

Member:
    bay area ca
    Vehicle:
    1995 2wd tacoma xtra cab
    thanks for the info,another dumb question,each spring has one leaf bent up 90 degrees at the end,,no. 2 or 3,, any idea which is supposed to be front or back on installation?

4. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Honestly I don't know jack about 1st gens but that reminded me too that the eye to eye lenght must be the same, but the locating pin needs to be in the same place too; if they are not in the smae place it will push your axle back or forward = not good for the driveline or your wheelwell.

Curious why you got this new leaf pack in the first place. (?)

5. Mar 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    ninety five taco

Member:
    bay area ca
    Vehicle:
    1995 2wd tacoma xtra cab
    wow, I just finished putting one side on last night. my first time dealing with leaf springs. but its on and I'm very happy. I turned the alignment bolt over,(stripped the nut) one trip to osh, back bushing was too small,it had a metal 5/8 collar in there,drilled it out with 3/4 drill bit,(2nd trip to osh) installed the back first,then the u bolts then proceeded to fight for over an hour, finally installed opposite sides first,then jacked up spring and got the u bolts last, ending result is no noticeable lift (which I was wary of) glad the truck kept the same height. the reason I got this leaf pack is only because I wanted something stronger to support any weight in the bed. anyway thanks for the support.

6. Mar 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    ninety five taco

Member:
    bay area ca
    Vehicle:
    1995 2wd tacoma xtra cab
    oh by the way,its obvious which is front and back on the spring, spacing is different from eye hole to alignment bolt,,,, guess I should investigate things more before posting questions,,thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top