1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camburg BALL JOINT UCA

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by nvdeserted, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mar 28, 2010 at 11:53 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Anyone have any experience with these? Was articulation noticably improved over stock? Any complaints?

Has anyone seen the Camburg ball-joints vs Uni-ball on the trail? Is the Uni-ball considerably more impressive?

Naysayers: I'm just doing research. I can swap the ball joint and install myself so I'd stand to save some $$$ if these are worth it.

Thanks

2. Mar 29, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    i dont know of anybody running them. your best bet is to prob call up camburg directly and ask them. camburg makes great products so i'm sure they are good but for $400 bucks and your arms still having ball joints, IDK

3. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    This is exactly what I'm thinking. But as much as I love wheeling and definitely push the Taco I still put 90% of my miles on the highway; I don't know if I want to 'waste' a fine racing product (uniball) on highway miles = more replacement, maintenace, and squeek.

I've done some more research on these and supposedly they allow for as much droop as the uniball but not as much tuck (haven't seen any numbers tho). They will correct caster on lifteds and generally look cooler than comprable LR's IMO. The MAIN difference is the strength of the joint, uniball is much stronger than any ball joint setup. Then again I don't jump.

I've ordered the Ball-Joint one's from Wheelers today and plan on doing a full ramp test once I get them on, before after kind of thing. I'll post my results in a couple weeks.

Ctupton likes this.
  4. Mar 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    cool, your right that they look way better than the LR UCA's. good luck :thumbsup:

5. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    TmecTaco79

TmecTaco79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Escondido,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner 4x2
    Bilstein 5100's, 33" BFG AT, Magnaflow
    I know this is an old thread but can you press the ball joint out and put a uni ball in these ball joint uca's?

6. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:49 PM
    eight3one_offroad

eight3one_offroad Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 with a few things.
    Optima Red Top 34R, OME 885 / N140S + 5100 rear, TSB leaf pack, Camburg Ball Joint UCA, Wheelers Diff drop, AEM Brute Force Intake with filter wrap, Summit Super Turbo muffler, Llumar 5% tint, Pioneer single din head unit, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in stock location, Sonar LED tails. Sway Bar removal. Charcoal filter delete. Stant 11509 Locking Gas Cap.
    I have them, no complaints. I don't do any high speed woops so this was my choice! I put new Moog ball joints as well.

- Rich

7. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    TmecTaco79

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Escondido,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner 4x2
    Well that's good. They look good but I was just trying to be a cheap ass and see if I could buy these then press out the ball joint and then put in a uniball.

8. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    eight3one_offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    Optima Red Top 34R, OME 885 / N140S + 5100 rear, TSB leaf pack, Camburg Ball Joint UCA, Wheelers Diff drop, AEM Brute Force Intake with filter wrap, Summit Super Turbo muffler, Llumar 5% tint, Pioneer single din head unit, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in stock location, Sonar LED tails. Sway Bar removal. Charcoal filter delete. Stant 11509 Locking Gas Cap.
    Haha. I probably would just buy the Uniballs rather then do redneck style!

9. Mar 25, 2011 at 11:59 PM
    TmecTaco79

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Escondido,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner 4x2
    Hahaha ya that's probably the best idea. Might have to place an order for some spindles while I'm at it haha

10. Mar 26, 2011 at 12:52 AM
    eight3one_offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    Damn son! That would be a sick setup. Set you're 5100s at .85 with spindles and new UCAs... Cali lean well if thats the look you are. after

11. Mar 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Negative. But, if you're handy at welding/fab you could easily just cut off the b/j cup and weld on a cup fit for u/b.

12. Mar 27, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    TmecTaco79

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Escondido,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner 4x2
    Na I'll probably get a 3inch leaf pack in the rear with some nicer shocks so it'll all look right.

Hmmm... I wonder if it it would be cost efficient.

13. Mar 5, 2014 at 10:29 PM
    SpeedwayBlueAlex

SpeedwayBlueAlex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Modesto
    Vehicle:
    SWB 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD 6-SPEED
    Hey guys I jist purchased these from sunny out of DownSouthMotorsports! Im currently running billy 51s @1.75 w/eibach 1.6 springs along with mactrac 4 inch spindles. So really looking foward to getting mine installed! Also my offset on my rims are 4.25 and im on 285/75/16s so that being said do you guys now if my offset will affect my ucas fitting especially since im on a spindle lift ????? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

14. Mar 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

Firebird likes this.
  15. Mar 6, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    ... this thread resurrection was brought to you by yotas4life.

they'll clear the UCA with that BS

16. Mar 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    SpeedwayBlueAlex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Modesto
    Vehicle:
    Hahahaha

17. Mar 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM
    SpeedwayBlueAlex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Modesto
    Vehicle:
    What ball joints would u guys recommend to run with the ball joint uca for camburg ?? Cant run moog apparently and my ball joints are prettt damaged its time for new ones

18. Mar 6, 2014 at 11:08 PM
    BudMan

BudMan knee scooters R us

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    I have Camburg BJ UCA with stock bj's, they were fine to re-use. I would have gone Moog if stock had toomuch play to re-use. Apparently, the problem is the tolerance on the Moog dimensions. I have heard about 5/10 work fine, 5/10 bj's are too big. Freezing the bj and heating the UCA are probably your best bet for Moogs. If it seems like more force than necessary is required (ie 10 ton press) STOP. That is when the damage will occur.

As far as other bj's, IDK :notsure:

I don't know why Toyota considers the 2nd gen BJ a non-serviceable part. You have to buy the whole UCA to replace the stock bj. Mine pressed out/in no prob.

19. Mar 6, 2014 at 11:20 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    as Wheelers suggested,go with the pre-installed option. No risk to you as the customer.

After making some measurements, the Moog parts and the Camburg UCA do meet the minimum spec to install. Freezing the BJ, and heating the UCA in the oven worked for me, along with a vise and the BJ C clamp. A press would have been better. Make sure the BJ starts straight as that is key.

I chose BJ style over uniball, as the environment here for a DD involves mud, salt, winter snow, ice, etc. I felt a uniball would require constant maintenance, and not survive in the dirty environment.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  20. Mar 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM
    SpeedwayBlueAlex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Modesto
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. I guess ill just reuse my oem ball joints even though they need to be replaced:rolleyes: im assuming its to very common for ball joints to dsmage on tacos maybe thats why they dont sell them separately ??

Products Discussed in

To Top