Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 Install

Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
tomonian77 has a spectacular aura abouttomonian77 has a spectacular aura abouttomonian77 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Thomas
tomonian77's Tacoma Gallery
5100 Install

After calling around and getting estimates from $300 to $500 to install front end billies I have decided to try and do it myself. Auto Zone will rent me a coil spring compressor for $33 so I am going to give it a shot. Anything I should look out for?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck bro... Hope it goes well
Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
it's easy
Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
tomonian77 has a spectacular aura abouttomonian77 has a spectacular aura abouttomonian77 has a spectacular aura about

As far as I can tell from looking at all the write ups the hardest thing is the compression. If it works out well I will probably set a meet up for all the other locals that need them installed.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
DLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant futureDLR07 has a brilliant future
Name: David
DLR07's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man keeping looking around, I got all four of them installed for $110.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
it should take you about 30 minutes to change these....that is once you get the hang of the spring compressor.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
A word of advice, when reassembling the struts make sure you get the alignment of the top plate where it should be. It will make things go a lot smoother when putting the shocks back in. The whole job should only take about an hour or so if you have the right tools. An impact wrench will make things a breeze when it comes time to compress the springs too. Just hit each side a little, until you've compressed the spring far enough for removal/reassembly.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's pretty easy if you don't get distracted, or strip a nut....*lol*. I took my struts to NTB to get them swapped, Took an hour and $40. Our spring comp. was to small to work with. Just pay attn. and you will get it done and save some $$
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #10

So you jacked up your truck and took the old ones off then went to NTB and had them set up the new billies?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonian77 View Post
So you jacked up your truck and took the old ones off then went to NTB and had them set up the new billies?
Yup, Easy. As they were putting the 5100's on I was installing the rear shocks, which BTW was the harder part of the job. I wound out just sawzawing my rear shocks off.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonian77 View Post
As far as I can tell from looking at all the write ups the hardest thing is the compression. If it works out well I will probably set a meet up for all the other locals that need them installed.
You should set up a meet so you can get some people to help you out.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatertaco View Post
Yup, Easy. As they were putting the 5100's on I was installing the rear shocks, which BTW was the harder part of the job. I wound out just sawzawing my rear shocks off.
I like your style! I've done the same in a couple instances where the rust wasn't even worth dealing with. The Sawzall never fails!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
I like your style! I've done the same in a couple instances where the rust wasn't even worth dealing with. The Sawzall never fails!
It made sense...If they are junk anyways just destroy them...LOL don't fight with it if it's gonna just go into the trash.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatertaco View Post
It made sense...If they are junk anyways just destroy them...LOL don't fight with it if it's gonna just go into the trash.
My rear 5100s should be in today. I hope my install goes better than yours did.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #17

Taking the wee wee route, found a shop that would do the install and alignment for $210.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
05offroad's Tacoma Gallery
This is something Doug (4WD) pointed out that is very important...

Quote:
Like 05offroad said, you need a spring compressor, & take note of the nut I'm pointing at in pic, you need to back it off but DO NOT TAKE OFF !! Until the coil spring is safely compressed enough to do so, failing this it could cost you your life, no shit dude, the nut holds the preload of the coil over spring on the shock !!