Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

sway bar

Old 10-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
nick jackson is on a distinguished road
nick jackson's Tacoma Gallery
sway bar

I recently purchased a 2000 ext cab 4wd v6. It runs well except has lots of body roll. A friend pointed out that it lacks a sway bar. Any suggestions on a sway bar brand that would work well to reduce the sway?

Thanks
Nick
Old 11-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
khinanight is on a distinguished road
khinanight's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to khinanight
I have an ADDCO rear sway bar and one of the spring bolts broke off due to stress. Has anyone ever heard of that? Plus it is next to impossible to buy a square U-bolt. Anyone have any information on this? Thank you in advance!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khinanight View Post
I have an ADDCO rear sway bar and one of the spring bolts broke off due to stress. Has anyone ever heard of that? Plus it is next to impossible to buy a square U-bolt. Anyone have any information on this? Thank you in advance!
Square U bolt? No such animal! A lathe shop may be able to make one for you. However, you must factor in the tensile strength required for the application, which won’t be easy. Therefore, the proper way to resolve this matter is to take your problem back to ADDCO and have them solve it for you.

You could use a regular U bold and insert a pre drilled high tensile metal plate to form the square U. However, I'm confident the load bearing on the metal plate will cut into the U at the lowest stress points. Now that I’ve given this some thought, this is the very reason you don't find square U bolts. The 90 degree angle/joints makes them weak, unreliable and susceptible to split easily. The "home made" approach is not the advisable solution to your problem.
Moo
Old 11-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
I agree with you wholeheartedly. The U-bolts are squared off instead of the usual curved ones. A friend of mine called it a SPRING-bolt. It looks like Ill have to contact ADDCO. Thanks for the assist. Lmabert
Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
flatboy will become famous soon enough
flatboy's Tacoma Gallery
Hellwig for the rear
Addco for the front
Old 11-16-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Helwig sway bars

You reccommended Helwig for the rear. Are there any disadvantages on Helwig for the front?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
flatboy will become famous soon enough
flatboy's Tacoma Gallery
Noop, I just think the addco is a larger dia. bar but I can't relly remember for sure.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
gegundez will become famous soon enough
gegundez's Tacoma Gallery
Hellwig makes big diff. I used Eibach for many other apps, but Hellwig works fine.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
SRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of light

SRFIVE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khinanight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
Square U bolt? No such animal! A lathe shop may be able to make one for you. However, you must factor in the tensile strength required for the application, which won’t be easy. Therefore, the proper way to resolve this matter is to take your problem back to ADDCO and have them solve it for you.

You could use a regular U bold and insert a pre drilled high tensile metal plate to form the square U. However, I'm confident the load bearing on the metal plate will cut into the U at the lowest stress points. Now that I’ve given this some thought, this is the very reason you don't find square U bolts. The 90 degree angle/joints makes them weak, unreliable and susceptible to split easily. The "home made" approach is not the advisable solution to your problem.
Moo
I have (4) Square U-bolts that came off my '04 Tacoma DC, don't need them now since my AAL came with new ones. PM me if you still need them?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
SRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of lightSRFIVE is a glorious beacon of light

SRFIVE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboy View Post
Hellwig for the rear
Addco for the front
Have the ADDCO front, love it.
Do you have pics of the Hellwig installed on the rear?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
dont our truck already come with a front one?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
RJSNoCal is on a distinguished road
RJSNoCal's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Addco for the rear of my '99; haven't installed it 'cuz it seems to be too freaking heavy. Any recommendations for a bar that's lighter in weight?