Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

leveling kit problem

Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
obeseclay is on a distinguished road
Name: clay
obeseclay's Tacoma Gallery
Question leveling kit problem

I recently purchased a Hell Bent Steel 2.5" front leveling kit online. Everything was going fine in the installation until i tried to put the strut back in with the Hell Bent spacer on top, and it would not fit. Even when pressing the steering knuckle down as far as i could with a pry bar i could not get the struts lower mounting bolt to line up with the mounts. Any suggestions? heres a link to the directions provided http://www.hellbentsteel.com/Instruc...Tacoma_R02.pdf
Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Did you rotate the strut 180* when you installed it?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: AMMO
Name: Daniel
TacomaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Did u disconnect the sway bar?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I didnt dicso my lower ball joint. I did the upper one becuase the upper control arm does have tension on it when you lower it down. so here's what i would do. I would follow the directions as far as taking out the strut besides disconnecting the lower ball joint. I would disco the sway bar and disco the upper ball joint because i believe that one is easier. Then put the top in first and just get the bolts finger tight. Then pry on the lower control arm and slide the lower strut bolt back in. Then once you have the strut tightened i would place a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up enough until it would be easy to reconnect the upper ball joint! TADA lift installed.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
i rotated the strut 180.. however i did not disconnect the sway bar? i followed Hell bent's directions for installation step by step..
Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Don't go off ninjin
Disco the sway bar!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
yea i did disconnect the lower ball joint.. but ill try leaving it and disconnecting the sway bar and upper ball joint instead
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
thanks for the advice btw
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
Don't go off ninjin
I think it will help out alot. I didnt have any instructions for installing my FOX/Fabtech coilovers and I disconnected the Upper Balljoint and Swaybar and the coilover slid in with a little help from a pry bar on the lower control arm.

No Problem. Thats what were here for
Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i put on that exact kit a few months ago. oyu really have to muscle it in. i found it was easiest if you unbolt the sway bar, unbolt the spindle from the LCA, and have a buddy with you...in the instructions they sent with mine, there were two guys doing the installation...i only noticed that after i had struggled through the first side by myself. got my little brother to help with the other side and it was much easier.

i ran into the same problem. i used a pry bar to get the lower part of the strut (where the hole is) into the general position of the mount on the LCA. then to line up the holes, i wedged a very large flathead screwdriver between the two and pryed at it while my brother tried to push it into place. it just takes some time. be patient and you'll get it done
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
disconnecting the sway bar is critical. Then the long (5 foot?) pry bar to push the lower arm down. Careful not to tip it off the jack stands... We also needed a jack to push the lower arm up to reconnect everything, just as TacomaDan says.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
good to know im not the only one.. thanks Colin
Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ no worries....good news is the kit is rock solid once you get it in. i've been very pleased with it.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
John Reese 92 is on a distinguished road
John Reese 92's Tacoma Gallery
i just bought this same kit recently, the 2.5" spacer, from Hell Bent Steel to put on my '04 Tacoma and had problems getting the shock back in too.

i found these "better" instructions from ReadyLift and it worked perfectly. then its a piece of cake. you have to loosen the lower control arm bolt to make it fit perfectly. don't need to muscle anything in with a pry bar.

http://www.readylift.com/files/instr...55_66-5909.pdf