Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3" Lift

Old 04-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
makalapaboy is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Propulsion
makalapaboy's Tacoma Gallery
3" Lift

I was just wondering if I got a 3" lift what are the biggest wheels and tires I can put on without having anything scrape or cutting anything. also if you could tell me what is the total height of your truck cause I live in vegas and if you go down to the strip your most likely parking in a garage which might not fit a lifted truck.

Thanks for the input
Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Stock tire size is the largest you can put on with a 3" kit without doing any trimming.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
The Anti Alliance Alliance. BAM!
audiophile22 is on a distinguished road

audiophile22's Tacoma Gallery
eh ehhheeemmmm, i have three inch lift. Before i did the lift I put on 31.5" all terrains.... now i could easily do 33" and not scrape... soo... uhh... yeah.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile22 View Post
eh ehhheeemmmm, i have three inch lift. Before i did the lift I put on 31.5" all terrains.... now i could easily do 33" and not scrape... soo... uhh... yeah.
Nah Brah... Definately need to trim with 33's. Mine are actually 32.87" and had alot to trim w/my readylift 2.25" up front. So, I'm sure there is some triming to be done unless you go w/the 6" lift's that are out there...

Note: dont just think of turning radius, you must also think of travel, ie.. speedbumps and all sorts of other road conditions. I trimmed til nothing could stump me. And I am pleased with the outcome...
Old 05-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #5

ok maybe some trimming, but just going a size bigger than stock like I did doesn't make u have to trim... I'm gettin 33's soon... So i guess i'll be breakin out the saw and gettin to work....
Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hui View Post
Stock tire size is the largest you can put on with a 3" kit without doing any trimming.
the largest size b4 a lift is a 265/75/16 or the 265/70/17 equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile22 View Post
ok maybe some trimming, but just going a size bigger than stock like I did doesn't make u have to trim... I'm gettin 33's soon... So i guess i'll be breakin out the saw and gettin to work....
u shouldnt need too much of a trim after that 3" lift. u might be able to get by w/ just removing the front mudflaps...or if u want to keep them, they'll need to be trimmed down for sure
Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #7

those things are LONG gone!!! i think the first time i backed up on a trail my tires caught them and chewed them up... looks better without out it anyway
Old 05-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
u shouldnt need too much of a trim after that 3" lift. u might be able to get by w/ just removing the front mudflaps...or if u want to keep them, they'll need to be trimmed down for sure
I tried timming my mud flaps, that latest about 50 miles, until they fell off. It's not worth trimming as you have to remove too much material so they don't rub. A solution I found was to mount up some 88 mud flaps and trimmed them down to fit. They did the job for a while, but have opted to run w/o flaps.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
BIg Ned is on a distinguished road
BIg Ned's Tacoma Gallery
so, are you saying that with just a 3" lift and taking off the mud flaps, you can run 33's?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:52 AM   #10

Thanks for all the input but now i have another question. i plan on getting the 3" lift kit from toytec, lift coil kit with AAL whats the differance between the added leaf spring or the 1 1/2" block? also even though i dont have a 4x4 would i still need a diff drop kit? i just never lifted a truck, and i just want to do it right. and should i replace any shocks? i got a 08 tacoma AC i got the stock 3 pack leaf spring. hope i gave you guys all the info to get some good answers. Thanks again
Old 05-06-2008, 03:14 AM   #11
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
supposedly an aal is a better choice than the block, but i have an aal and 1" block under mine. the block is supposed to increase axlewrap, but i didnt notice any with mine. i think its mainly the larger blocks: 3"+. The diff drop is for the front differential, so on a prerunner this is not necessary since there is no front diff. you might want to replace the rear shocks on your truck. mine would top-out sometimes so i switched to some 0-2" list Bilstein 5100 and couldnt be happier with them; no more violent topping out and it rides a little better with them.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:21 AM   #12
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
You still have the factory 3 leafs so the aal will be fine. If you had the Tsb done Toytec reccomends the block, because if you added an additional leaf on top of the tsb you would have more than 3" of lift. Atleast that is what I was told. Now if you go and the the Tsb done for your truck and you have a non TRD you will get the shock upgrades the 5100 Bilsteins. Your call. My lift with coils and block with the drop kits was $460 and arrived in 4 days. If you look at your front wheel wells you will see the plastic nubs that are in the front will most likely have to be cut. It will depend on how aggressive a tire you go with as of to how much you have to cut.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
supposedly an aal is a better choice than the block, but i have an aal and 1" block under mine. the block is supposed to increase axlewrap, but i didnt notice any with mine. i think its mainly the larger blocks: 3"+. The diff drop is for the front differential, so on a prerunner this is not necessary since there is no front diff. you might want to replace the rear shocks on your truck. mine would top-out sometimes so i switched to some 0-2" list Bilstein 5100 and couldnt be happier with them; no more violent topping out and it rides a little better with them.
i got the TRD off road package with the Bilstein shocks should i still replace the shocks?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by makalapaboy View Post
i got the TRD off road package with the Bilstein shocks should i still replace the shocks?
You don't have to. But it will greatly improve both your ride and suspension travel.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by makalapaboy View Post
well, its kinda your preference. Some 5100's will probably ride better, but id change them out if you find the rear shocks topping out. or, theres a extension that can be bolted onto the factory bilsteins to add another inch or so to the total length of the shock.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #16
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
i did a 3" toytec lift, and my 33's rubbed... i had already taken off the mud flaps, but had to trim the inside flemsy wheel well plastic some up front by the fender. used some band cutters and it looked a little ugly so i cleaned it up some with a dremel tool.....

mainly when you crank the wheel all the way... but.... trim some extra... cus when you are in the truck, and if you have a passenger, the weight brings it down some more... and as you rolling, the truck leans some more than just sitting still with the wheel turned...
Old 05-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #17
tacodave06 will become famous soon enough

tacodave06's Tacoma Gallery
i got a 3" revtek spacer kit with 285/75/16 and no rubbing
Old 05-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #18
3 Time Toyota Man
TmansToy08 is on a distinguished road

TmansToy08's Tacoma Gallery
I added a 3 inch lift with a stock component via Truxxx.com. No mods to the sus. This is a level lift. I swapped out my stock 16 inch for 17's with BF A/T's. Even with this lift, there is a litte slight rub on the lower front fender well at tight turning. Just wanted to put my cents in. You can see my truck in the gallery.

Regards,

T