Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Type of jack required to do AAL?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Type of jack required to do AAL?

So, I'm gonna do an AAL to my 06, and I need to know what type of jack to get...like how many tonnes, and how far up it must be able to reach to get it done. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
The higher the better. Usually, when they're big tonnage - they lift higher.

You might want atleast 4 jackstands also. 2 Large/Tall jank stands to lift the frame as high as you can get it. Then, you'll want the other 2 jackstands to hold the axle up while you work. Use the hydraulic jack as a lift and not to hold something up....

Can't remember the tonnage....but I think ours is a CRaftsman 4ton.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
stenyeart is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
stenyeart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
The higher the better. Usually, when they're big tonnage - they lift higher.

You might want atleast 4 jackstands also. 2 Large/Tall jank stands to lift the frame as high as you can get it. Then, you'll want the other 2 jackstands to hold the axle up while you work. Use the hydraulic jack as a lift and not to hold something up....

Can't remember the tonnage....but I think ours is a CRaftsman 4ton.
x2 on the using the jack for lifting and not holding.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys. I have the jack stands already, but wasn't sure how much lift I'll need. Truck is stock with 265/75-17's on it now, so I wan't make sure I get one that'll lift it up enough to get the wheels off the garage floor.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #5

...what is the minimum lift from the jack I'll need do you think?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
Thanks guys. I have the jack stands already, but wasn't sure how much lift I'll need. Truck is stock with 265/75-17's on it now, so I wan't make sure I get one that'll lift it up enough to get the wheels off the garage floor.
Getting the wheels off the ground isn't going to be enough. You need the wheels up MUCH higher than that.

If you jack under the rear diff as high as you can get it - and you might have 6" under the tires (just guessing). Then put jackstands under the frame to hold the body up.

You'll need to take the rear wheels off. Drop the axle down and put smaller jackstands under the axle.

Installing an AAL can be tricky....because the arch and the sag of the current suspension, if you don't have the truck lifted up high enough, it's a royal PITA to get the AAL in there.

Not sure what type of jack you'll need. We have a 3ton and the maximum travel on it is 20.5"
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Here's what i used: