1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1" Block or AAL ... affect alignment?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Blue76, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Apr 13, 2010 at 4:28 AM
    Blue76

Blue76 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Double Cab
    Dealer installed Leather, Truck Cover USA roll up cover, Pop n Lock, Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners set at 1.75, Rear Spring TSB. USA Spec iPhone adapter, 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs.
    ThHis has probably been beat to death but I get all kinds of different answers when I search...

I have 5100s set at 1.75 and the rear TSB... I would like about 1" more lift in the rear so it has a slight rake to the front. I carry a lot of gear very often so the rear sets a little low most of the time.

Which would be a better option... simply add a 1" block and U bolts to the rear or get the AAL for TSB which says it lifts the rear 1.5"?

Would the AAL make the ride harse?

If the 1" block is installed properly it should be safe for normal diving right? I have had 1" blocks in my Bronco for 8 years with no problems and I have wheeled it a lot.

Also... would raising the rear change the wheel alignment? I would think it would have to have some sort of impact. Maybe small but some...

Thoughts?

Greg

2. Apr 13, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're adding 1" lift to the rear - it shouldn't affect the allignment.

Although, on the contrary - when Toyota puts the TSB springs in, they perform an allignment as part of the TSB. ???
    It's debatable. If I was adding 1" to the rear, I wouldn't bother getting an allignment either.

An AAL will make the ride more harsh than the stock spring alone.

I'm not a fan of blocks, but 1" block won't hurt anything if you're doing all street driving. When you offroad with blocks, you take the chance of putting too much 'torque' on the blocks which can cause them to break. I've seen it happen several times on the trails.

3. Apr 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    If you lift the back, you are changing the angles up front, especially caster. You may not be changing it much but you are changing it nevertheless. Get an alignment.

I'd be willing to bet lifting the back an inch decreases your caster by about 1*. That's a lot considering the optimum caster setting is only a little over 2*.

4. Apr 13, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    Blue76

Blue76 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Double Cab
    Dealer installed Leather, Truck Cover USA roll up cover, Pop n Lock, Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners set at 1.75, Rear Spring TSB. USA Spec iPhone adapter, 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs.
    The 1" blocks I put under my Bronco I made myself out of 1" thick solid steel. They are not going to break under any load.... A D9 catapillar could drive over them and not break them. I would not put aluminum or cast iron under one.

However... I guess the locator pin could shear...

Greg

5. Apr 13, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Bingo....

Obviously, you're handy making things. You could weld the 1" steal block to the perch making it an extension of the factory perch. Although, you could still shear off the centering pin but less likely if they were welded.

6. Apr 13, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    FWIW....When I had my lift installed 2 weeks ago, I reaised the rear about 1.5'' but the front stayed about the same.

My alignment was terrible....

You may get it back and not need it... It will be pretty obvious

7. Apr 14, 2010 at 1:52 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Even if you weld the blocks to the perch you're still changing the effect of torque put on the leaf springs, due to the height difference of the axle centerline in relation to the leaf pack? More to the point would be the distance from the perch to the leaf pack. Welded or not the block still applies the same torque on the leafs, due to the extra height.

It's kinda late and I'm half asleep but you guys are kinda making it sound like breaking blocks is the problem. It's the springs that snap, as well as possbile driveline and U joint issues from the extra torque and leverage form the block being put on the leaf springs.

8. Apr 14, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    It's not the torque on the leaf springs that's the problem....in fact, the leaf springs can handle the torque. The blocks can't.

I've spent many years offroading. I've seen 3 sets of blocks break while on the trails. This happens primiarily when a lot of gas is being applied for getting over an obstacle. The torque load splits the blocks, the u-bolts come loose, the leaf springs separate from the perch, and the pinion points upwards which can result in breaking u-joints and breaking leaf springs. It's not pretty. A buddy of mine got hit in the leg with a piece of broken block that flew through the air.....

Buzzard71 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top