1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein equals spacer?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Dirty Sanchez, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Apr 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Garden Variety 4x4 sr5
    All Mod Cons- Leer 100XQ Thule rack Rancho 9000xl's Fabtech 4 light bar IPF968's Husky Liners Bed Mat Hi-Lift bed mount Tow Package FJ fog lamp switch
    Bilstein versus spacer difference besides valving?

So, Bilstein adjusts to a shorter shock hence compressing the spring, increasing the spring rate which is the same exact thing spacers do. The Bilstein shock then compensates for the increased spring rate by slowing down the rebound?

To do a lift correct would require a longer spring for lift , longer shock to accommodate the longer spring/travel.

Is it safe to say that anyone using a Bilstein style lift is limiting their off road suspension travel? Gaining ground clearance only?

What springs are recommended for a 1.5” to 2.0” lift? Eibach? OME 884?

Please don’t tell me what you have but what effect does your lift spring have and if you would buy it again? Why? Thanks!

2. Apr 14, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    You are correct about the 5100's and off-roading. If you are going to hit the trails, get something better. For the kind of lift you are looking for, I would go with the 884's. The Eibachs are a 620# spring whereas the 884 is a 590# A little better on the ride IMO from what I have read myself. If you plan to add a bumber or winch, 885's or Eibachs.

With the 884's/Eibachs you will be able to add the 5100's or stay with the stock shocks. I will be going with OME 884/OME shocks when it is time to do it.

BTW, Welcome to TW!

Products Discussed in

To Top