1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

unstable at highway speeds

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Fixmytruck, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Apr 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    Fixmytruck

Fixmytruck [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 2009 Tacoma access cab, 4 cyl, automatic. It rides like a Buick around town ( very smooth ) But at 60 miles an hour or higher any cross wind really pushes it around. It is unnerving when even a small car passes me, and the truck moves 9" or more in its lane. Does anyone else have this complaint? Would better shocks help? What else would anyone suggest?
    Thanx

2. Apr 16, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    Mine moves around a little but not 9". Did you check your sway bar to make sure it is conected. That could make it wonder if one side has a broken link.

3. Apr 16, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Stock suspension? Mine is steady on the highway, same truck but the V-6.

4. Apr 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    What are your tires like? I was fine until my tires stock tires got wore down really bad and I was all over the place. Driving in the wind got pretty scary for me.

5. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Also your alignment may be off, If it's a 2010 take it back to the dealer and have them check. Alignment tires and the fact that these are extremely light weight trucks and are pretty high in the air

6. Apr 16, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    Fixmytruck

Fixmytruck [OP] Member

Member:
    My truck is stock, little tires, 4000 miles, front suspension parts are tight.
    I posted today because today was the worst instability I have felt. I had 200 lbs in the bed and the gas tank is near empty. I'm wondering if more weight in the front would help? The 4 cyl has dinker brakes and I assume suspension members. The v6 must have a lot more weight up front. Well, l see others have this same problem, but no one seems to have fixed it. I don't think that I need an alignment, or new tires, or balancing.... The truck's front end just seems to be easily pushed. I had a 1990 4wd sr5 v6 kingcab before this one..... it was a tank, and handled great. This is not progress.

7. Apr 29, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    Fixmytruck

Fixmytruck [OP] Member

Member:
    A good frontend guy suggested taking my tire pressure to the maximum. Toyota recommends 30 lbs and the tire is rated up to 40 lbs. I tried 40 lbs and it is alot better. I need a really windy day to know for sure, how much better, but I would now consider driving a long distance on a highway.

8. Jun 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    Fixmytruck

Fixmytruck [OP] Member

Member:
    I added 100 lbs behind my front bumper. It lowered the truck 5/16 of an inch at the front wheelwells. It handles a lot better................

Products Discussed in

To Top