1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Less space in the wheel wells in the front then in the back?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Leadgolem, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Apr 17, 2010 at 3:56 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    I'm running 31x10.5 tires and when I pull into my driveway I have to make a kind of J shaped turn. So, my wheels are always turned when I pull in and I'm rubbing the wheel on the well. I know this isn't unexpected but I think it's worse then it needs to be.

I took some measurements and I've got 7.25" from the top of the rear tire to the top of the wheel well on the back, and 6.25" on the front. This is without the truck loaded. I'm wondering if I just need new shocks, or if something else is worn out on the front end.

If that isn't it then what about putting a 1" suspension lift on the front?

2. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:32 AM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Is it on the UCAs, frame towards the rear of the well, and the stupid plastic things that hang down in the front of the well? Might just need some spacers although I never had that problem when I was running my Mud Rovers but this was also a 2nd gen.

Might just need some of these bad boys, these are for the late models:
    http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2293/.f

3. Apr 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    If I understand the question correctly, yes. The rub is happening on the inside do the wheel well toward the driver, on the bottom. It isn't a problem most of the time, just when I've got the wheels turned and I'm compressing the suspension.

Spacers are a good idea, I was just thinking that with the difference in the spacing posted above that there might be something wrong with my suspension I should address before adding spacers to the wheels.

4. Apr 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Not sure about that, but it was happening to me as well. Got the spacers and it cleared the problem right up

5. Apr 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    How deep in the wheel well is where you were getting the rub? I just went and measured mine, and the back of the rub point is 8 inches in. At that point the well isn't tapering, so I'm thinking putting a 1.5 spacer in would just move the rub out 1.5".

6. Apr 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Never measured just knew I needed them to correct the deficiency by looking through posts here

Products Discussed in

To Top