Notices

Spacer or Coils?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Big Member
FLATaco06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
FLATaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Spacer or Coils?

Hey guys. I've been reading alot of posts here recently and joined up. I've always loved Tacos and had a nice single cab 97 4x4 years ago. I have had my 06 double cab 4x4 for about a year and a half and I'm ready to mod finally! It's my everyday driver so 3'' is really all i'm in the market for right now. I am wondering what the pros and cons are to getting a spacer lift versus new coils all together. I am planning on running 285/70/17's on hopefully 10inch wide wheels. I plan on also getting a diff drop kit to negate alittle of the inveivitable cv angle problems. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. Adjustable coilovers are probably the best choice, but also the most expensive. The spacer lift is the most economical.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Big Member

The kits that Toytec offer have the pro basic kit with a 3'' spacer, and also the 3'' OME coils(885 in my DC case to get the full 3'' I assume). Those are just replacement coils, not adjustable, correct? I dont really want to replace my shocks on the front or rear, at least not right away. I do alot of on-road driving but also spend alot of time in the rural, Big Bend of Florida off-road so I will be off the beaten trail occasionally. I am just wondering ride-wise which will be better on average on and offroad. Thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, they are just replacement coils. Adjustable coilovers are the whole strut assembly (coil/shock) with a shock that can be adjusted from no lift up to 2.5" of lift. I have a Toytec lift, but I didn't get new coils and don't have any experience with them. I have heard they sag over time, but I don't know if that's all of them or a particular model.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Coil Overs include a shock and coil and are made by companies such as Sway Away (AKA SAW), Icon, and Camburg.

Coils are simply coils. The kit you are referencing are OME (Old Man Emu) Coils. They are longer and will give 3 inches. I personally plan to run a Coil lift (855 Coils) on my Taco. With the coils I would reccomend getting either OME Shocks (sold by Toytec) or Bilstien 5100s.

For the rear I would run an AAL set up (add a leaf), which you can also get through Toytec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Yes, they are just replacement coils. Adjustable coilovers are the whole strut assembly (coil/shock) with a shock that can be adjusted from no lift up to 2.5" of lift. I have a Toytec lift, but I didn't get new coils and don't have any experience with them. I have heard they sag over time, but I don't know if that's all of them or a particular model.
The sagging issues from what I know are only for those running bumpers and winches. With a stock bumper he should be all right.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Big Member

Another issue I meant to address before. I see that I only have three leaf springs in my rear suspension. I have read about the TSB service bulletin thing, but I dont understand what it is or what it would entail for me to take action. I have bottomed out here and there with the truck loaded down and never thought anything of it. I use the Toyota Dealership in Tallahassee, FL for all my dealings. What would I need to do to get a new spring pack, and am I even eligible? Thanks for responses.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATaco06 View Post
Another issue I meant to address before. I see that I only have three leaf springs in my rear suspension. I have read about the TSB service bulletin thing, but I dont understand what it is or what it would entail for me to take action. I have bottomed out here and there with the truck loaded down and never thought anything of it. I use the Toyota Dealership in Tallahassee, FL for all my dealings. What would I need to do to get a new spring pack, and am I even eligible? Thanks for responses.
Sounds like you need the TSB. Tell the dealership that it bottoms out when loaded and you want the rear leaf spring TSB done. You'll end up with new shocks and 4 leaf spring packs. If you have it done though, you won't be able to use an AAL for the back. You'll have to use lift blocks.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Big Member

Thanks buddy. I just printed out the TSB from a link a found. I am going to get up there friday and get my stuff done one way or the other. I was planning on doing the block in the rear regardless, so that works out well. They cant possibly turn me down since I'm under 30k miles and have the TSB straight from Toyota in my hand, not to mention the stupidly expensive warranty, heh.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Sounds like you need the TSB. Tell the dealership that it bottoms out when loaded and you want the rear leaf spring TSB done. You'll end up with new shocks and 4 leaf spring packs. If you have it done though, you won't be able to use an AAL for the back. You'll have to use lift blocks.
one note...w/ u already having the trd package, u'll only get the 4 leaf pack in the rear and an alignment up front. the only people that get the new shocks are the non-trd's
Old 05-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Northern Alliance: padawan
RoadKill is on a distinguished road

RoadKill's Tacoma Gallery
I first got coil spacers from e-bay, the thick rubber type. They tend to compress and so the studs are almost impossible to get thight enough. When I hit a bump I get a small knocking sound as if the shocks where loose, very anoying. On top of all, the longer studs supplied with the kit are not grade8 studs so they strip if you try to tork them more. So i'd say keep away from these at least get the solid blocks

I am waiting for Sway-a-way coilovers over next week
I just had to buy the camburg control arms also, just too awsome.

All thanks to toyota for giving me a budget http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...lp-toyota.html
Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
one note...w/ u already having the trd package, u'll only get the 4 leaf pack in the rear and an alignment up front. the only people that get the new shocks are the non-trd's
Thanks for clarifying hodge, I don't want to mislead anyone.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
carlos chavez is on a distinguished road
carlos chavez's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATaco06 View Post
Hey guys. I've been reading alot of posts here recently and joined up. I've always loved Tacos and had a nice single cab 97 4x4 years ago. I have had my 06 double cab 4x4 for about a year and a half and I'm ready to mod finally! It's my everyday driver so 3'' is really all i'm in the market for right now. I am wondering what the pros and cons are to getting a spacer lift versus new coils all together. I am planning on running 285/70/17's on hopefully 10inch wide wheels. I plan on also getting a diff drop kit to negate alittle of the inveivitable cv angle problems. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Hey what up brotha I have a revtek 3" lift spacers w/ add a leaf and 285 70 17" wheels and upper control arm from all pro off road, and let me tell you that this lift will stiffen up your ride, Im saving up for a real suspencion system, Its a quick way to lift your truck but it comes with a price, luckly I installed everything my self.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about20taco07 has a spectacular aura about

20taco07's Tacoma Gallery
yes the spacer lift is a cheap way of doing it, but over time you will most likely rip it out and install a real deal, i would go with the coil overs, if you got the money get the icons they are really nice, or the camburg, some of these also go up to 3.5" lift, and in the rear instead of doing the add a leaf, get the whole leaf pack its not that much more, but the performance will be better.