1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" spacer lift/UCA question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO, Apr 19, 2010.

?

Did you have to replace the UCA?

Poll closed May 19, 2010.
  1. Yes due to alignment issues

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Yes due to tire rubbing issues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes to both

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. No problems with UCA's

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Apr 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO [OP] DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    I realize there are probably similar threads out there for this but i got tired of looking. Im looking to get a 3" spacer lift and have read some threads about people having to replace the UCA's in order to get their alignment right or stop rubbing. So im looking to find out who has actually had to get new UCA's for a simple spacer lift? Any suggestions on which UCA's?

2. Apr 19, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    If you go with 3" of lift then your gonna need new uca's to get a good alignment. Simple as that. Your truck doesnt have enough adjustment room to be able to correctly align your suspension with a 3" lift.

3. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    IMO, if your gonna drop at least $400 on some UCA's, i'd save some more $$$ and get a better front lift. spacers are junk, i used to have them long ago and i regreted putting them on

4. Apr 20, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    jmed99

jmed99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    The option "due to rubbing issues" would be hard to select without knowing the wheel/tire setup

5. Apr 20, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.

WRONG!! I've had a 3" spacer lift since a few months after I bought my truck new in 06 with no aftermarket UCAs. I Offroad as often as I can and have had a few Alignments with no real issues. They say its harder to do but it is acheivable. Just need a shop that knows what they are doing.

I would recommend getting some coilovers if you have the money. Do it right the first time so you dont have to spend that money twice when you do decide to upgrade. Good luck.

6. Apr 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    I have a 3" spacer lift that was put on by the dealership prior to me buying it and it still has the stock UCA's with no rubbing issues. When i bought it i was riding on 285/70/17 BFG AT's and i have had no alignment issues yet and i bought it in 2008. So i would have to say no to your question.:D

7. Apr 20, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    ^^^^^What he said too!!!!

8. Apr 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Well I would have to say... Post your alignment spec.'s! Because there is absolutely positively no way you have 2.5-3 degree's positive caster with a 3" hockey puck! It's just not possible! I never said you couldn't drive your truck with negative caster. If you want it to drive and handle the way it does in stock form then your gonna need to get new uca's that are designed to give you room for more caster adjustment. That's why they make them!

9. Apr 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    jmed99

jmed99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
  10. Apr 20, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I figured there'd be more rubbing issues with the coil touching the UCA than the tire/wheel combo in general. Yes, I know that anything with much wider rim and or tire with 3" lift of any type will become an issue. IMO, save for better lift than spacers. Many stories of of yeah it'll work then OMG, can't believe I was riding around like that to not just get better lift to begin with that you can stay with longterm and get properly aligned at most places. I'm also gonna go with.....if it's that hard to get it aligned properly then it's gonna be that hard for it to stay aligned properly with all the playing offroad and with typical bullshit roads.

11. Apr 20, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    OMG, Next time i get it aligned i will definitely post them son!:D Owned this truck for almost 2 1/2 years now with no issues or negative anything so im sorry to tell you but must be something wrong. You can ask any of the socal guys down here. My truck rides excellent with no neg camber or any of that bull****! The original set of tires came off after about 40,000 miles on them and the same with the second . so that tells me the wear is great! if it had neg. camber issues i would have been replacing my tires a lot earlier than that! Same as Imsikotik!:eek::eek::eek:

12. Apr 20, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Let's try to keep in mind that my experience doing the same thing to the same model truck won't necessarily be the same as the next guy's is or was.

13. Apr 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    jmed99

jmed99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR

I didn't think caster had anything to do with tire wearing even or uneven. So you could be out of caster and still have great tire wear...I think.

Edit: caster is not the same as camber

14. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Caster doesn't affect tire wear

15. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO [OP] DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    thanks a lot for the help guys, i did look up some UCA's an i think i will save up for a coil over set up....any suggestions who to go through for that? I hate that i know more about powertrain than suspension sometimes....

16. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    Kmoney

Kmoney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Bend, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB TRD OR
    White dog
    Toytec. And PM Toytec Lifts for a discount code. These are their coilovers with the Bilstein 5100 shocks.

17. Apr 21, 2010 at 2:31 AM
    Justin626

Justin626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport DC Super White
    Toytec 3" w/ AAL, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Lightforce 170mm Strikers, N-Fab Light Bar, Metra Ipod Adapter, Scosche Auto Start
    I voted no, but it all depends on your specific set up.

For me, I'm currently running stock rims and tires. The shop didn't have any problems getting mine aligned to spec either.

18. Apr 22, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    inlinejohn

inlinejohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport SR5 4WD LB
    3" spacer/AAL lift, Toyo Open Country MT 265/70R17, Kenwood USB, Truxedo LowPro QT, Grillcraft w TOYOTA emblem...coming soon, Avid Offroading Sliders...coming soon.
    my shop aligned it twice (well once and then checked second time) and said the numbers are perfect. It still pulls hard to the right and I find myself kinda fighting it now. Don't want to spend $450 on LRUCA if I don't need it, but will if this persists.

19. Apr 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    ^^^ John, check out www. Fatbobsgarage.com for LR uca's. $379.99. Gotta call to get that price. From my experience your alignment woes will persist. The uca's will help you acheive the positive caster numbers needed to make your truck handle like stock.

20. Apr 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    inlinejohn

inlinejohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport SR5 4WD LB
    3" spacer/AAL lift, Toyo Open Country MT 265/70R17, Kenwood USB, Truxedo LowPro QT, Grillcraft w TOYOTA emblem...coming soon, Avid Offroading Sliders...coming soon.
    Ok. Thanks. Easy to install yourself?

Products Discussed in

To Top