LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3" spacer lift/UCA question

View Poll Results: Did you have to replace the UCA?
Yes due to alignment issues 6 27.27%
Yes due to tire rubbing issues 0 0%
Yes to both 4 18.18%
No problems with UCA's 12 54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
DUDE MAN BRO
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant future

Air Force: A.G.E.
Name: Hot Carl!!!
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Cool 3" spacer lift/UCA question

I realize there are probably similar threads out there for this but i got tired of looking. Im looking to get a 3" spacer lift and have read some threads about people having to replace the UCA's in order to get their alignment right or stop rubbing. So im looking to find out who has actually had to get new UCA's for a simple spacer lift? Any suggestions on which UCA's?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
If you go with 3" of lift then your gonna need new uca's to get a good alignment. Simple as that. Your truck doesnt have enough adjustment room to be able to correctly align your suspension with a 3" lift.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, if your gonna drop at least $400 on some UCA's, i'd save some more $$$ and get a better front lift. spacers are junk, i used to have them long ago and i regreted putting them on
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
The option "due to rubbing issues" would be hard to select without knowing the wheel/tire setup
Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front
imsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shedimsikotic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMFA-314 F/A-18 Fighter Jet Plane Captain and Mech.
Name: Randy
imsikotic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
If you go with 3" of lift then your gonna need new uca's to get a good alignment. Simple as that. Your truck doesnt have enough adjustment room to be able to correctly align your suspension with a 3" lift.

WRONG!! I've had a 3" spacer lift since a few months after I bought my truck new in 06 with no aftermarket UCAs. I Offroad as often as I can and have had a few Alignments with no real issues. They say its harder to do but it is acheivable. Just need a shop that knows what they are doing.

I would recommend getting some coilovers if you have the money. Do it right the first time so you dont have to spend that money twice when you do decide to upgrade. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO View Post
I realize there are probably similar threads out there for this but i got tired of looking. Im looking to get a 3" spacer lift and have read some threads about people having to replace the UCA's in order to get their alignment right or stop rubbing. So im looking to find out who has actually had to get new UCA's for a simple spacer lift? Any suggestions on which UCA's?
I have a 3" spacer lift that was put on by the dealership prior to me buying it and it still has the stock UCA's with no rubbing issues. When i bought it i was riding on 285/70/17 BFG AT's and i have had no alignment issues yet and i bought it in 2008. So i would have to say no to your question.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well I would have to say... Post your alignment spec.'s! Because there is absolutely positively no way you have 2.5-3 degree's positive caster with a 3" hockey puck! It's just not possible! I never said you couldn't drive your truck with negative caster. If you want it to drive and handle the way it does in stock form then your gonna need to get new uca's that are designed to give you room for more caster adjustment. That's why they make them!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I figured there'd be more rubbing issues with the coil touching the UCA than the tire/wheel combo in general. Yes, I know that anything with much wider rim and or tire with 3" lift of any type will become an issue. IMO, save for better lift than spacers. Many stories of of yeah it'll work then OMG, can't believe I was riding around like that to not just get better lift to begin with that you can stay with longterm and get properly aligned at most places. I'm also gonna go with.....if it's that hard to get it aligned properly then it's gonna be that hard for it to stay aligned properly with all the playing offroad and with typical bullshit roads.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I would have to say... Post your alignment spec.'s! Because there is absolutely positively no way you have 2.5-3 degree's positive caster with a 3" hockey puck! It's just not possible! I never said you couldn't drive your truck with negative caster. If you want it to drive and handle the way it does in stock form then your gonna need to get new uca's that are designed to give you room for more caster adjustment. That's why they make them!
OMG, Next time i get it aligned i will definitely post them son! Owned this truck for almost 2 1/2 years now with no issues or negative anything so im sorry to tell you but must be something wrong. You can ask any of the socal guys down here. My truck rides excellent with no neg camber or any of that bull****! The original set of tires came off after about 40,000 miles on them and the same with the second . so that tells me the wear is great! if it had neg. camber issues i would have been replacing my tires a lot earlier than that! Same as Imsikotik!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Let's try to keep in mind that my experience doing the same thing to the same model truck won't necessarily be the same as the next guy's is or was.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #13

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTaco View Post
OMG, Next time i get it aligned i will definitely post them son! Owned this truck for almost 2 1/2 years now with no issues or negative anything so im sorry to tell you but must be something wrong. You can ask any of the socal guys down here. My truck rides excellent with no neg camber or any of that bull****! The original set of tires came off after about 40,000 miles on them and the same with the second . so that tells me the wear is great! if it had neg. camber issues i would have been replacing my tires a lot earlier than that! Same as Imsikotik!

I didn't think caster had anything to do with tire wearing even or uneven. So you could be out of caster and still have great tire wear...I think.

Edit: caster is not the same as camber
Old 04-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #14
Dirty Trucker

Caster doesn't affect tire wear
Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
DUDE MAN BRO
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant future

Air Force: A.G.E.
Name: Hot Carl!!!
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
thanks a lot for the help guys, i did look up some UCA's an i think i will save up for a coil over set up....any suggestions who to go through for that? I hate that i know more about powertrain than suspension sometimes....
Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #16
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec. And PM Toytec Lifts for a discount code.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

These are their coilovers with the Bilstein 5100 shocks.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #17
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
I voted no, but it all depends on your specific set up.

For me, I'm currently running stock rims and tires. The shop didn't have any problems getting mine aligned to spec either.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #18
inlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
inlinejohn's Tacoma Gallery
my shop aligned it twice (well once and then checked second time) and said the numbers are perfect. It still pulls hard to the right and I find myself kinda fighting it now. Don't want to spend $450 on LRUCA if I don't need it, but will if this persists.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
Dirty Trucker

^^^ John, check out www. Fatbobsgarage.com for LR uca's. $379.99. Gotta call to get that price. From my experience your alignment woes will persist. The uca's will help you acheive the positive caster numbers needed to make your truck handle like stock.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #20
inlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
inlinejohn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^^^ John, check out www. Fatbobsgarage.com for LR uca's. $379.99. Gotta call to get that price. From my experience your alignment woes will persist. The uca's will help you acheive the positive caster numbers needed to make your truck handle like stock.
Ok. Thanks. Easy to install yourself?