Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Drive Shaft swap!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Drive Shaft swap!!!

Hey everyone! I finally had enough with my stupid vibes, and will ordering my custom Tom Woods drive shaft this week. I cant freeken wait!! I just wanted to let ya'll know. Oh, and has anyone had any issues with them or there drive shafts? Or are there shafts really as good as they sound?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
Hey everyone! I finally had enough with my stupid vibes, and will ordering my custom Tom Woods drive shaft this week. I cant freeken wait!! I just wanted to let ya'll know. Oh, and has anyone had any issues with them or there drive shafts? Or are there shafts really as good as they sound?
They are pretty much the most popular drive shafts arround. Post pics when you install it!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Will do!! I havent checked out there prices yet, but Im hoping it wont too spendy.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
OBXTucker is on a distinguished road
OBXTucker's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't used them in Taco's (only owned one for 48 hours!), but they've been bullet proof in the CJ's I've owned over the years. Their customer service is exceptional. Order, install and enjoy without worry....
Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #6

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Hey there Janster! I just got my Woody today, But I was measuring it and it's a little shorter then what I gave them. If I tilt both joints down and then re-measure then its dead on. But I was wandering if yours or anybody elses Shaft came to them the same way?
Old 05-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey there Janster! I just got my Woody today, But I was measuring it and it's a little shorter then what I gave them. If I tilt both joints down and then re-measure then its dead on. But I was wandering if yours or anybody elses Shaft came to them the same way?
I would assume the shaft has the slip yoke in it...... Measuring the shaft *at rest* isn't necessarily gonna tell you its too short. The shaft has a slip yoke in it which compresses and extends depending on suspension travel.

There's gonna be some differences in measurements if the slip yoke is totally compressed or.... I didn't say *totally extended* because the slip yoke will totally separate if pulled out far enough.

You're better off calling Tom Woods and asking him about the length. I'm not sure *at what point* he uses the measurements with the slip yoke in it.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #8

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, thanks for the reply Jan. I just figured out it was all the way compressed. So I should be ok. wish me luck!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #10

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Good Luck!

Picts when you're done!!!
well... I was doing the install, and things were going smooth. But when I was looking at both shafts next to eachother. I realized that the rear end flange was too big. I dont know if the new Taco's have both flanges the same size. But my rear is smaller then the front. I was kinda pissed... So I sent the shaft back and will be calling Tom up for a new one Monday. And, I didnt want to bother with putting the stock shaft back in, and out. So decided to just leave it out and drive my old truck for now. 90' Dodge Ram, baby blue with chrome trim and wheels, mud-t. tires, and flowmaster's. Just thought ide describe it....
Old 05-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well... I was doing the install, and things were going smooth. But when I was looking at both shafts next to eachother. I realized that the rear end flange was too big. I dont know if the new Taco's have both flanges the same size. But my rear is smaller then the front. I was kinda pissed... So I sent the shaft back and will be calling Tom up for a new one Monday. And, I didnt want to bother with putting the stock shaft back in, and out. So decided to just leave it out and drive my old truck for now. 90' Dodge Ram, baby blue with chrome trim and wheels, mud-t. tires, and flowmaster's. Just thought ide describe it....
That sucks... projects never seem to go as plannned. Atleast you got another vehicle to drive around.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #12

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
That sucks... projects never seem to go as plannned. Atleast you got another vehicle to drive around.
Yeah, But I've desided just to put the old one back in. I cant stand not having or driving my Taco... and I dont want my truck sitting under a tree collecting sap and crap for a week.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #13

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got my Drive Shaft back from Tom, It should pop right in now. Cant wait to install it and get rid of my vibes. It's only been a week since I sent it back to them. And my vibes have or ready gotten worse. Well... thought I would up date you all.. I'll have pix up after install!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
How much $ did it set you back?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #15

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
How much $ did it set you back?
It was 350 for the standard 2 joint, free shipping. But I think its ganna be well worth it...
Old 05-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It was 350 for the standard 2 joint, free shipping. But I think its ganna be well worth it...
Is it ballenced? Also, if you still have some small vibes, try a 1.5* axel shim.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #17

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Is it ballenced? Also, if you still have some small vibes, try a 1.5* axel shim.
Yeah, they ballance it and grease it up, so it's ready to install. Im actually going to get started on it right now. So I'll let you guys know how it feels and drives.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #18

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
well, I put it in and I was wondering if it matters if the compress and depress end is in the front or rear? they made it so that its in the front. I know the factory one wasnt like that. But any advise would really help guys!.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #19

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Just drove it! WOW, what a difference!! so freaken smooth.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Freakin wonderful! The list of must haves just keeps getting longer and longer. Problem is, income hasn't changed.

Sliders, snorkel, skid plates, seat covers, TOM WOODS DRIVESHAFT, Etc.......