Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Top plate spacers to Bilstein 5100 shocks for extra lift?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Bayou2coma is on a distinguished road

Bayou2coma's Tacoma Gallery
Top plate spacers to Bilstein 5100 shocks for extra lift?

Can I add 1/2" or 3/4" top plate spacers to my Bilstein 5100 shocks for extra lift to make it 3" in the front? I have it adjusted to 2.5" but i would like to go higher to be able to put some 33's!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I guess you "can", but it would be horrible on your ball joints.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
RCNG FAN is on a distinguished road

RCNG FAN's Tacoma Gallery
Don't they specifically say not to do that?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMAN22 View Post
couldnt new uca's fix that?
Yes it would. But, what about the lower joint?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNG FAN View Post
I think they do.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
no you cant. mine are on the top notch and im runnin 33s
Old 05-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You could run a 1/4" spacer (1/2" lift) and that's about as far as you'd wanna go.

If you get any bigger, your coil springs can come in contact with the steering knuckle because your upper a-arms are sitting down too far.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
no you cant. mine are on the top notch and im runnin 33s
How much triming did u have to do to fit those 33's?

BTW I probably can adjust the shocks to the lowest setting and put a 3" spacer.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNG FAN View Post
yes, it's highly recomended that you not do that. you can fit 33's with 2.5" lift, you will just have to trim the wheel well, but you probably have to do that with a 3" lift anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou2coma View Post
How much triming did u have to do to fit those 33's?

BTW I probably can adjust the shocks to the lowest setting and put a 3" spacer.
yes, you can do that and you will have superior shocks to the factory billies. the 5100's ride very well
Old 09-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #11

On this 3" toytech lift it comes with the 1/2" spacer which adds 3/4" of lift.

Sorry I just don't understand why it would be damaging I couldn't put this

1/4" spacer on my 2.5" lifted 5100's (which would make it 3" of front lift all together) ...Which this part was made to correct the drivers side ride height.

What I'm trying to know is whats the difference in this and a regular 3" lift???

Please help! Thanks
Elix
Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
sooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nicesooner02r1 is just really nice
sooner02r1's Tacoma Gallery
You can fit 285/75-16 or 285/70-17 which is a fraction of an inch under 33" tall with minor trimming. So just run 2.5" in the front, mount the tires, and don't do crap that the suspension designer told you not to.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I never hear the 2nd gen guys talk about body lifts...why is that?

I don't like body lifts either but 1" body lift isn't all that bad and can make that extra room instead of 'trimming'

Back when I had my 96 tacoma...the 1st gen guys were putting 2.5" front suspension lifts & 2" body lifts to fit 33's....
Old 09-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Convert the 5100s to Toytec adjustable C/O's. Then you will get a better ride and be able to have over 3" of lift if you want...

Bilstien/Toytec/Everyone/Jesus says not to run the 5100s with spacers (if the 5100s are set above 0).
Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
KMADA has a spectacular aura aboutKMADA has a spectacular aura about
KMADA's Tacoma Gallery
so with a 3" spacer and 5100s at stock settings..

How would that be?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
KMADA has a spectacular aura aboutKMADA has a spectacular aura about
KMADA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
a waste
Even if the guy does no off roading at all?
I was just wondering..

I'm actually going with the ome setup with 5100s rear
Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #17
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
a waste
its not a waste, the 5100's are better heavier duty shocks with a better ride than the factory bilstiens.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #18

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so why not use them without the spacer? A 3" spacer? really? Not saying the 5100's are bad, just saying why combine them with a 3" spacer?
I guess if you wanted the 3 in lift and a better ride. i dunno, i didnt say it made a ton of sense but i dont think it would be a waste. you get heavier duty shocks out of the deal
Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #19
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking of getting toytecs 1/2" spacers too but after reading this I think instead I'll just get the one 1/4" plate to counter the lean...I know I can still run 285s for sure!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #20
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
You could also run. OME 885s and a spacer with the 5100s @ 0. That would prob be the best, cheapest and the most correct way to go.