Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

techy Blistein 5100's multiple questions...

Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
skichiiwa is on a distinguished road
skichiiwa's Tacoma Gallery
techy Blistein 5100's multiple questions...

sorry if the answers are out there everything seems so vauge. thanks for your time .

1- what are the downsides of getting blisteins front and back?opposed to front only or aal in the back 5100s in the front.

2- why do some only get them on the front other then price; are there any problems mechanically you can run into just getting the front? how many inches to level a trd sport with the back?

3-what kind of issues can you run into with running these shocks? do they put stress on other parts of the truck that could void your warranty?

4- Compared to spacers , how do they differ in terms of functionality, wear/ negatiove effects on other components.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
1- Your stock shocks are lower quality than the 5100s. If you get other upgraded shocks (OME for instance). NO problem at it. Also- Your stock shocks may not have enuf stroke if you do serious wheeling.

2-You don't need them in all four corners- so you can save a buck or two. I think .85 or the next step up (1.5??) get most folks level depending on if they have done the TSB or anything else.

3- You may end up with vibes or other little quirks- but those are slim when you use them to level. Most likely nothing major.

4- They are better than spacers because they are built to be used this way instead of just being slapped on to the stock shocks.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
WPTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nige
WPTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100's all round with the TSB done (I think Canadian Tacoma's might already have the 4 leaf pack???) I tow a pop up and haul building stuff around and the heavier duty shocks give a more truck like ride and A LOT less sag when loaded up. I set the front at 1.75 and with the TSB (which raised the back 3/4 inch) the truck now sits almost level. The rear is 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher.

As for negatives....If you set them higher than 1.75 you may run into issues with CV angles, alignment troubles. I have had no issues with vibes or anything else. That being said I have read here of other people with the same set up having vibrations or other small issues. All trucks are slightly different with how their suspension has settled since new and then have different issues (or none) after adding new shocks, AAL, tires etc.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichiiwa View Post
sorry if the answers are out there everything seems so vauge. thanks for your time .

1- what are the downsides of getting blisteins front and back?opposed to front only or aal in the back 5100s in the front.

2- why do some only get them on the front other then price; are there any problems mechanically you can run into just getting the front? how many inches to level a trd sport with the back?

3-what kind of issues can you run into with running these shocks? do they put stress on other parts of the truck that could void your warranty?

4- Compared to spacers , how do they differ in terms of functionality, wear/ negatiove effects on other components.
1-adding 5100s in the back has nothing to do with aal...they don't raise the rear end at all....the aal does....the are just better shocks than the stock ones

2-people get them front only to level out the truck....you can raise the front with them but not the rear...prolly the .85 setting would level out a prerunner and 1.75 setting levels out a 4x4....the 4x4 sits lower in the front because of the added weight of the front diff

3-these shocks don't do any damage to your truck

4-the ride with these will be way better than a spacer lift

i got the 5100s front and back....i also have OME883 lifting springs up front...i set the 5100s on the 0 setting and i still get 1.75" of lift in the front due to the springs....i didn't raise the back end at all.....i have a reg cab...there is no tsb for the reg cab....the ride is as smooth as stock and the truck handles alot better with less body roll and stuff
Old 05-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Why is the front. Lower anyhow. Please give in lehmans terms.

What do u need to to this. Other then the pair of shocks?

What is a rough estimate in price.

Btw thanks for all. Of ur help.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks
Skichiiwa , PM Toytec Lifts

OZ
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
WPTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nige
WPTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks
Toyota (and other truck makers as well) design and produce their trucks with some rake (front lower). Other than shocks there is nothing you need except basic tools and a spring compressor. You can pick up all 4 shocks for around $300 from Toytec or Downsouthmotorsports (I got em from DSMS and they were great to deal with!)
Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
So are there any other issues that can arise from the leveling?
And will I need to make any adjustments after the shocks are on?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
and why are there so many people adding coils with their 5100s? i don't understand?

"But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components. "
Old 06-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Andy2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Andy2010's Tacoma Gallery
People who use the 5100's with replacement coils are running them on the stock setting, not using it for the lifting. The coils do that.