Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Drive shaft angles, after swap.....

Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Drive shaft angles, after swap.....

Hey there everyone! I will be getting a Tom Woods drive shaft tomorrow and be installing it this weekend. But Ive been talking to my father, who has had some experience with drive shaft angles and what not. But, Does the new Tom Woods shaft Bring the angles back to spec, and cure my issues, or will it still be off cilter, with the lift on. Or Better Yet, will my Vibe in my carrier bearing, just be tranfered to the tranny or rear transfer case, causing damage there? This is a big issue and would like some help, I dont want to put my new driveshaft in and just be causing a problem somewhere else. Any advise or help appreciated!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I guess No one can help me... Ok I will just take my chances I geuss, thanks alot TW!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Doesnt the TomWoods drive shaft eliminate the carrier bearing? If it does, it shouldnt cause a vib any more. There have been a few people that have had a vibe in the 45-55 mph range after install of the new DS, but Im thinking with proper degree shims in the rear, you should be vibe free.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Doesnt the TomWoods drive shaft eliminate the carrier bearing? If it does, it shouldnt cause a vib any more. There have been a few people that have had a vibe in the 45-55 mph range after install of the new DS, but Im thinking with proper degree shims in the rear, you should be vibe free.
When you order a TW driveshaft - you have to give him specific information of how long you need it. So, if you wanted to get rid of the carrier bearing - you could simply by ordering a shaft long enough to do so.

Evertaco23: Installing a TW shaft isn't necessarily a cure all. Every truck is different and every situation is different. You may or may not experience vibrations after the TW shaft install. You could experience vibes anywhere in the spectrum (speeds - so to speak). At that point, you can add axle shims to help correct it.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
PPD934 is on a distinguished road
PPD934's Tacoma Gallery
so what does one of these DS cost average......
Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #6

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Dont quite remember what I spent on mine.. I believe it was around 240-280
But not sure. All I know is that its awsome and I am vibe free!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Zombie Killer
Robbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to all

Air Force:
Robbsolid's Tacoma Gallery
do you have a link to the one you bought? I eliminated bad vibes by getting new rims, but i still have this wierd annoying vibe in my seat.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #8

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have take off shudder? and a vibe at around 30-40?
If so its probably your drive line/carrier bearing.

I got the TW standard slip 2 joint, I believe....
http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html
Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #9

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to order one, I would just call them up and tell them what you got and your measurements. But make sure that you let them know that us 1st. gens have a smaller flange at one end, I believe it was the diff. end. And its just the Flange to Flange measurement they should need. And the style shaft you want ofcourse...

I made the mistake of not letting them know that one of the flanges was smaller, and had to ship it back....
Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Hey guys, trying to remove the drive shaft right now and it's not budging. I sprayed it with some penetrating lube but a 14mm wrench isn't cutting it...
Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #11

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, its kinda hard, But it will pop off.
It sits in there perty tight, I had to get a big flat head and hammer. getting the screw driver on the seam and hitting it a few times and sooner or later it just popped off.

(Work both sides of flange)