Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Front Suspension Swap (Bilstein 5100s)

Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Question Front Suspension Swap (Bilstein 5100s)

Ok, so I've decided that I cant stand the way my Tacoma looks after I got the TSB done. When my fiance says that my truck looks kinda funny because the back end is stickin up in the air, I know its time to get this baby leveled. I've decided to go with the Bilstein 5100 adjustables (2.5") in the front to level everything out. I've read up on the spacers and even though they are cheaper they stiffen up the ride a lot more than I would probably like. With that said, since I am a college student I do not have all the necessary tools nor the space to do this operation on my own. If I wanted to have my front suspension swapped out where are good places to go to have this done and what price can I expect to pay? I would prefer to stay away from the dealerships just because I know they will charge quite a bit. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
I figured i might bump this thread. I emailed a bunch of auto shops around here. They haven't replied, I'll give them a call when I get off work. Any suggestions on a ball park estimate on how much the process should cost just so that I know the quotes they give me are reasonable.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXFreeStyle61 View Post
I figured i might bump this thread. I emailed a bunch of auto shops around here. They haven't replied, I'll give them a call when I get off work. Any suggestions on a ball park estimate on how much the process should cost just so that I know the quotes they give me are reasonable.
send a pm to nd....he had 5100's installed, but i dont remember what he paid.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
RCNG FAN is on a distinguished road

RCNG FAN's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine to my local tire shop. They charged me $120 in labor to install the fronts. Not sure if that is a good, or a bad price, but I have peace of mind that it was done correctly.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Action Jack is on a distinguished road
Action Jack's Tacoma Gallery
5100s Install

I'm getting mine put in tomorrow by 4 Wheel Parts, they charged me $95 for each front shock and $100 for the install, so I'm out the door with tax and everything for just over $300.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Good Lord, thats quite a difference between quotes for 2 people that live relatively close to one another.

Keep in mind that mine was just for the install. I had already bought my 5100's from Downsouth Motorsports.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
Displaced Texan

Roger that, I didn't see that. I guess 300 for the entire job is not a bad deal at all. Thats about as much as I expected to pay. Did they do an alignment as well?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
Displaced Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jack View Post
I'm getting mine put in tomorrow by 4 Wheel Parts, they charged me $95 for each front shock and $100 for the install, so I'm out the door with tax and everything for just over $300.
Do you have a part number for the 5100s you got? I have been up and down their website and I havent found any Bilsteins for the price you got. Just to make sure we're on the same page you got the adjustable height ones correct?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Roger that, I didn't see that. I guess 300 for the entire job is not a bad deal at all. Thats about as much as I expected to pay. Did they do an alignment as well?

It did need an alignment, but that was $50 extra.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've read up on the spacers and even though they are cheaper they stiffen up the ride a lot more than I would probably like.
The Bilstien 5100's achieve lift EXACTLY the same way spacers do. They preload the spring. You are, however getting a better shock.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #12
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
just so you know, the ride is very stiff with the 5100's set at 2.5
Old 06-19-2008, 07:05 AM   #13
0O0O0O0O
dubya05 is on a distinguished road

dubya05's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get this done? I am looking to just to the front on my DC and want to see just the front done.? If anyone can point me to pics id appreciate it.

Z.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 AM   #14
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Got mine done tues,Front only,diff. drop,alignment.Total was 350.They're set at 1.75.Not stiff at all.Ride is now better then stock. Done at a local shop.After pic.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The Bilstien 5100's achieve lift EXACTLY the same way spacers do. They preload the spring. You are, however getting a better shock.
You can get spacers that bolt on the top of the shocks which would eliminate the preloading aspect.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
Got mine done tues,Front only,diff. drop,alignment.Total was 350.They're set at 1.75.Not stiff at all.Ride is now better then stock. Done at a local shop.After pic.
that really looks good man!!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormhole7 View Post
You can get spacers that bolt on the top of the shocks which would eliminate the preloading aspect.
Correct. That, however, leads to another problem: Over extending ball joints, as the shock and coil are now longer. Its a double edged sword.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #18
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Correct. That, however, leads to another problem: Over extending ball joints, as the shock and coil are now longer. Its a double edged sword.
so... what is better for the truck the 5100 or the spacers?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's in coma View Post
so... what is better for the truck the 5100 or the spacers?
I think the 5100's are better as they are valved better.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #20
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

itsmyturn's Tacoma Gallery
being in automotive business, i don't see too much of a problem with spacers. if you're extreme rock crawling, then spacers will be a problem. but for everyday use i would go with spacers especially if your taco is still under warranty, easier to remove if needed. btw i just added readylift spacers and boy does my truck look nice and maintains factory ride(i paid for a good ride im not about to ruin it).