1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grinding/Squealling sound from front when turning

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Topsy Kretz, May 12, 2010.

1. May 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    Topsy Kretz

Topsy Kretz [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Hi Everyone - I have an '06 Tacoma double cab PreRunner. For about the last 6 or so months whenever I turn the truck I get this squealing sound from the front. Sometimes I can feel it grinding through the pedals and steering wheel as well. It only does it when I turn and not always all the time, but most of the time. Of course when I take it in to the dealership it doesn't do it. Seems to only happen after I've driven the car a little ways. Doesn't do it just starting out.

It's starting to get pretty loud too and embarrassing when pulling in to parking lots. Anybody have any clues? I thought maybe the power steering was going bad but now I'm thinking something in the suspension, I just can't figure out what.

2. May 12, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Are you on stock suspension? What size rims and tires?

3. May 12, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    Topsy Kretz

Topsy Kretz [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Yes, stock suspension. Don't know the size of the tires off the top of my head. Whatever the stock size is for the TRD Sport. Everything on my truck is stock.

4. May 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    sledbert

sledbert Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 4x4
    Fix it yet?

Have you tried to jack up either/both wheels & spin them by hand? Feeling for roughness & listening for the noise.
    While it is in the air check for play in the wheel bearings, they are less than over build.
    Make sure the backing plates for the brakes not too close & being flexed up against the dascs when turning.

Just a few ideas of common issues, hope it helps:)

5. May 19, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    Topsy Kretz

Topsy Kretz [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I have not fixed it yet. I found another similar thread on here that mentions the backing plates. I'll try to see if I can figure it out this weekend. It only does it when I turn so if I jack it up I'll have to turn the steering wheel. Not a big deal I guess. But to be honest I'm not the most knowledgeable person on things like this.

Thx for the suggestions.

6. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    Topsy Kretz

Topsy Kretz [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    So I had my brother-in-law get out of the truck and listen to it while I turn this weekend. He noticed the back wheels were hopping pretty bad when I turned. He couldn't hear the squealing at first but then later did and it was coming from the rear. I thought it was coming from the front but I guess it was passing through the cab and echoing off the windshield or something so it sounded like the front to me.

I had also narrowed it down to only doing it after I've been driving it for a while and really bad after highway driving. If I let it sit for a while and take short trips it doesn't do it.

I called the service adviser at the dealership and he said it sounds like an issue with the differential. Also said the warranty on the drive train is 5 years, 60k miles. I thought it was all 3/36. So I hope that's the problem. Taking it in on Friday. :xfings:

7. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    sledbert

sledbert Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 4x4
    You said that the rear wheels were "hopping really bad when turning" is there any chance that your truck is in 4x4?
    Did you try the idea of jacking up the front end & checking for play in the steering/suspension components?
    You could try getting in behind the brake disc with a pry bar & slightly adjusting the backing plate, to see if it makes a difference, better or worse.

8. Jul 7, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    Topsy Kretz

Topsy Kretz [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    My truck is not a 4x4.

9. Jul 9, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    Topsy Kretz

Topsy Kretz [OP] Member

Member:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Dealership figured it out. The place I take it to change the oil changed out the differential fluid some months back and didn't put in the limited slip additive. They opened up the rear end and didn't see any metal or I would have needed a new rear end, so I dodged a bullet. I'll be taking the bill down to the oil place and have them pay for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top