Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Is It Hard To Install A Lift On a 5 lug Base Reg Cab Taco?

Old 05-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
Is It Hard To Install A Lift On a 5 lug Base Reg Cab Taco?

hey guys, i have a regular cab taco that is base with the puny rims and tires.....5 lug....is it hard to install a lift on these 5 luggers??
Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
hey guys, i have a regular cab taco that is base with the puny rims and tires.....5 lug....is it hard to install a lift on these 5 luggers??
I have a 1st gen. 5-lug so I'm not sure about the 2nd gens but there aren't too many companies out there making kits for our trucks. I know Readylift has a kit for 2nd gens. I put spacers on mine to run a little bit bigger tires and payed $220 in labor b/c there was alot of disassembly to put them in. Our trucks don't have struts like the PreRunners and 4wds.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post
I have a 1st gen. 5-lug so I'm not sure about the 2nd gens but there aren't too many companies out there making kits for our trucks. I know Readylift has a kit for 2nd gens. I put spacers on mine to run a little bit bigger tires and payed $220 in labor b/c there was alot of disassembly to put them in. Our trucks don't have struts like the PreRunners and 4wds.
oh damn....i really like those tires your running...look real good
Old 05-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
oh damn....i really like those tires your running...look real good
Thanks. they're Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in 235/75. I would get them in 31×10.5s though if I had to do it again. If you put the Readylift kit on I think you could run them.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
ToeCutter66 will become famous soon enoughToeCutter66 will become famous soon enough
Name: Kevin
ToeCutter66's Tacoma Gallery
I recently installed the readylift in my 09 base taco 5-lug. I was able to get the fronts and one rear done on a saturday, and got up early on sunday and was done before 10:00am. It is kind of a pain, some grinding/cutting is needed, so make sure you have a sawzall and a grinder handy. It also helps to use air tools.

I would not do it again if given the chance. It was a pita, and now the truck rides like ass. If it was not so painful, I would remove the lift and stay with the stock ride. But the truck does look better.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeCutter66 View Post
I recently installed the readylift in my 09 base taco 5-lug. I was able to get the fronts and one rear done on a saturday, and got up early on sunday and was done before 10:00am. It is kind of a pain, some grinding/cutting is needed, so make sure you have a sawzall and a grinder handy. It also helps to use air tools.

I would not do it again if given the chance. It was a pita, and now the truck rides like ass. If it was not so painful, I would remove the lift and stay with the stock ride. But the truck does look better.

so you wouldnt recomend it??...its not worth it.....how can i get a good look at the stock height?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
1st Gen. Pride
only_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really nice

only_K's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this guys build. He has a 5 lug
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...lug-build.html
Old 05-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_K View Post
Check out this guys build. He has a 5 lug
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...lug-build.html
I meant to put a link to his build in my reply. If you have any questions about a 5-lug I would think he could answer them for you
Old 05-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I put a lift from Fat Bob's on my 5-lug. It's basically the same as the Readylift. I replaced the front struts and the rear shocks at the same time with some Bilstein HD's. The ride is about the same as stock. I've read several posts where people say their truck rides like a brick after installing the spacer lift, but mine rides just fine. I did the fronts on a Saturday and the rears on a Sunday morning. Had to cut off the top of one of the mounting studs on the strut top plate, but knew about that from the install video on Readylift's site. I like the lift and the way it looks now that I can run 31x10.5's.

I wish I could have afforded to put on a Total Chaos mid travel UCA and SAW coilovers, but that'll have to wait. A few other users (neslerrah and Stupid Hurts) have also lifted their 5 luggers with the spacer lift. NakedTacoma has lifted his with total chaos stuff and is planning on long-travel I think.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I put a lift from Fat Bob's on my 5-lug. It's basically the same as the Readylift. I replaced the front struts and the rear shocks at the same time with some Bilstein HD's. The ride is about the same as stock. I've read several posts where people say their truck rides like a brick after installing the spacer lift, but mine rides just fine. I did the fronts on a Saturday and the rears on a Sunday morning. Had to cut off the top of one of the mounting studs on the strut top plate, but knew about that from the install video on Readylift's site. I like the lift and the way it looks now that I can run 31x10.5's.

I wish I could have afforded to put on a Total Chaos mid travel UCA and SAW coilovers, but that'll have to wait. A few other users (neslerrah and Stupid Hurts) have also lifted their 5 luggers with the spacer lift. NakedTacoma has lifted his with total chaos stuff and is planning on long-travel I think.
your truck looks really good...so how much did you spend overall for the lift and the Bilstein HD's, and re-gearing....??
Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the complement. It's not quite done yet.

The lift kit runs about $230-275
Bilstein HD Shocks $280 for all 4

Got a compete third member from another member for $500 for the regear. Haven't put it in yet though.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the complement. It's not quite done yet.

The lift kit runs about $230-275
Bilstein HD Shocks $280 for all 4

Got a compete third member from another member for $500 for the regear. Haven't put it in yet though.
so the re-gearing is necessary to have cuz of rpms, with new bigger tires?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #13

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly. The computer has kind of adjusted itself a little bit, but there's still a power loss and low fuel economy. There are other folks on here who have done the same type of lift, but haven't regeared yet either. It can be a pricey thing to have done and can be hard to find the right gear ratio. That's why some people say it's better off just getting a prerunner or 4cyl 4x4 taco.

Oh yeah, I installed the lift and shocks myself so there was no install fee.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Exactly. The computer has kind of adjusted itself a little bit, but there's still a power loss and low fuel economy. There are other folks on here who have done the same type of lift, but haven't regeared yet either. It can be a pricey thing to have done and can be hard to find the right gear ratio. That's why some people say it's better off just getting a prerunner or 4cyl 4x4 taco.

Oh yeah, I installed the lift and shocks myself so there was no install fee.
so the install was easy...im 18 and pretty machanically inclined so, i can do stuff, unlike other people i know...lol
Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 AM   #15
ToeCutter66 will become famous soon enoughToeCutter66 will become famous soon enough
ToeCutter66's Tacoma Gallery
Ride

Quote:

I had heard that the Bob's kit has longer AALs and is supposed to ride better. I am glad to hear that its true. I might contact them and see if I can just get the leaves.

Also, Tacomathunder, I am an old guy (43) and have way less tolerance for a harsh ride than I did when I was younger. You might not find the ride with the readylift kit that harsh. Edit, I found it was easy to rotate the top plate on the strut if you use spring compressors. Also, get some big ass c-clamps for installing the rear aal's. I had a couple medium sized ones and completely trashed them.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
Come to AZ, I can help with the install. I did my Readylift install in about 5 hours. When I had to replace my front stuts, it took less than 2 hours (for both)
yea, i really like your truck a lot....that would be the dream truck for me

also, how does your truck ride with the ready lift and new shocks?
Old 05-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #18
TIM GAINOUS is on a distinguished road

TIM GAINOUS's Tacoma Gallery
theres nothin to installin that kit replace the rear shocks with some from a prerunner and it rides fine to me
Old 05-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
TIM GAINOUS is on a distinguished road

TIM GAINOUS's Tacoma Gallery
Smile I am an old guy btw this is my other toyota