Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bolts For UCAs...

Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Bolts For UCAs...

I'm thinking about cutting the stock bolts and putting new ones in...I heard it was easier. Does anyone have a part number so I can order those? The dealership is waaay out of the way for me so I prefer ordering them.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
????????????
225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed

225nontypical's Tacoma Gallery
i just replaced my UCA getting the stock ones out was not that hard. i had both sides done in 2 1/2 hour. yes i had to bend the metal a little but i bent it right back and with the mud curtains on you can not even see the metal i bent anyway. even if you could you would not be able to tell.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure why on earth you would want to do that. What's the possible gains by replacing a bolt?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Stickers and new floormats arent Mods
weiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JK
weiser5150's Tacoma Gallery
they cut them so they dont have to fight with them and bend the fender well to get them out.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
The UCA bolts are installed at the factory with the body off the truck. With the body on, it's easier to install/remove them from the rear as opposed to the front.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have a part number so I can order those?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Call up a dealership and have 'em deliver.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
We tried cutting them once. I'm not sure if I just had a lousy sawzall blade, but it was not cutting them worth a shit. I chewed the teeth off of 3 blades before we gave up. we ended up just removing them the old way. I have it down to a science now and can get them out pretty easily.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
...you still have to reinstall them if you get new ones....remember that...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
...you still have to reinstall them if you get new ones....remember that...
You reinstall them backwards from the factory installed direction, back to front, easy.

I cut mine off with a hacksaw in 10 min... I recommend a sawzall. Toyota stealer charged me $15 a bolt but at that point what's another $30 to do it right.

Bending the pinch-weld is fine but my truck is in new condition, no need to intentionally dent it... even if you can't see it.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
You reinstall them backwards from the factory installed direction... but at that point what's another $30 to do it right.
but your NOT doing it right, your installing the opposite of the OEM direction!

j/k man!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yosh2000

I agree, but the bolt acts more as a stationary axle for the UCA than it does as a fastener, it won't change any relevant strength characteristics if the nut is on the front or the back. I think that was just a manufacturing/assembly efficiency call for whatever reason

I wonder what the recommended procedure is in some Toyota manual somewhere..... Bend pw? Cut bolt? Remove body?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #14

^ that would be interesting to see what the manual says!

one specific reason that i can think of as to why the bolt is placed the way it is, is that if the nut was to come off, there is no way for the bolt to slide out mounted the OEM way, therefore ensure that the UCA stays engaged to the truck.

there is a chance that if you lost the nut w/ the bolt mounted backwards, that it could slide out and the UCA could become disengaged from the truck. yes, call me a freak for thinking that, it will most likely never, ever happen, but it is possible if you mount it that way.

note that the nut is on the bottom of the driver and passenger side...i blame my engineering education for thinking this way!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #15

Good point Yosh. That's why I locktited mine. But you might be on to something about fail-safe UCA bolts.

Now this is gonna bug me. Might have to stop by the dealer and see if a tech will let me check their book on the replacement procedure.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Good point Yosh. That's why I locktited mine. But you might be on to something about fail-safe UCA bolts.

Now this is gonna bug me. Might have to stop by the dealer and see if a tech will let me check their book on the replacement procedure.
http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...a/03900710.pdf

I have a buddy who is an Ex Toyota mech., and he said that the procedure is to bend the pinch weld, then remove the bolt. Reinstal the same direction, then bend the pinch weld back into place.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
backcountryj is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathan
backcountryj's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #18
Swampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
Swampmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't cut. I was able to put my passenger side bolt in the opposite way but had to put drivers side back in the same way because of the lines on the back side of fender well. So you might as well just use the ones you have. Hope that makes sense.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #19
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased the bolts to do this, but once I got in there to do it, it took all of 2 minutes to bend the metal out of the way. Installed, and bent the matal back and you can't even tell it was done.