Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Specific questions regarding replacement leaf springs

Old 05-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
MicahTheProphet is on a distinguished road
MicahTheProphet's Tacoma Gallery
Specific questions regarding replacement leaf springs

I searched the forums but was unable to find the answers to my questions.
Last week I broke a leaf spring on my 2000 tacoma xtracab. It poped out and cut the brake line making for a very interesting ride home. I did a bit of research and decided on using the skyjacker softride 2.5" leaf packs. I will worry about lifting the front end latter on when I have the extra cash. I dont really care if it sits level for now.
I have a few questions.
1. Do I have to replace my rear shocks with the new leaf pack or can I leave the stock shocks on there for now?
2. Will I need a longer brake line?
3. Can I reuse the old u-bolts and shackles with the new leaf pack?

Thanks for the help.

Micah
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
1st Gen. Pride
only_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really nice

Name: Kevin
only_K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahTheProphet View Post
I searched the forums but was unable to find the answers to my questions.
Last week I broke a leaf spring on my 2000 tacoma xtracab. It poped out and cut the brake line making for a very interesting ride home. I did a bit of research and decided on using the skyjacker softride 2.5" leaf packs. I will worry about lifting the front end latter on when I have the extra cash. I dont really care if it sits level for now.
I have a few questions.
1. Do I have to replace my rear shocks with the new leaf pack or can I leave the stock shocks on there for now?
2. Will I need a longer brake line?
3. Can I reuse the old u-bolts and shackles with the new leaf pack?

Thanks for the help.

Micah
You might need longer shocks, or shock extenders.

I dont think you will need longer brakelines.

It depends on how thick the new pack is.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
If the new pack gives 2.5" of lift. You will need longer shocks and brake lines. That is really too much lift in the rear (unless you have a heavy canopy or lumber rack) even if you have a 2.5" lift in the front. You can get away with stock shocks, but you will probably feel them top out.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
you'll need new u bolts too

longer than stock
Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
If the new pack gives 2.5" of lift. You will need longer shocks and brake lines. That is really too much lift in the rear (unless you have a heavy canopy or lumber rack) even if you have a 2.5" lift in the front. You can get away with stock shocks, but you will probably feel them top out.
x2 and welcome to TacomaWorld
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
the ubolts need to be replaced with new ones for sure as for the shackles you could probably get away with reuseing them but being that your truck is 10 years old it certainly wouldnt hurt to put some new ones in,theyre not terribly expensive anyway.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
Thanks for the replys everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by 2.5 being to much lift in the back. Can you elaborate?

I'm going to add new ubolts and shackles to the list. Are there any recommended websites to purchase these from?

What do you guys recommend for shocks? I see alot of people talking about the 5100's. What do I need to know? Any recommended sites?

Thanks again. You guys rock.

Micah
Old 05-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Alright, I'm going to go with the 5100's for the shocks, as for new u-bolts, it doesn't look like I'm going to need them. The new leaf pack is only about 1/8 inch thicker than the stock springs.

I'm going to order the extended brake line since I have it replace it anyway.

I haven't decided on new shackles yet, I gota see how bad the old ones are first.

My question remains. How is 2.5" to much lift in the back? You have peeked my curiosity. Don't leave me hanging here. I want to know.

Thanks

Micah
Old 05-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
the ubolts dont need to be replaced because of length,they need to be replaced because ubolts dont last forever.they lose their strength and are something that should be replaced after removing them.