LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lifting a newer taco! Must Read

Old 05-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Lifting a newer taco! Must Read

So just stopped by local off-road shop, Truckin Up, and let me say he was very helpful. (Jrobson can relate). After hearing about j's truck he gave me alot of tips.
First my truck is 2010 and has vsc. He said dont go over 2.25" b/c bad on cv angles even with diff drop. He said no 3" lift either cause bad cv damage. But if you decide to go 6" it voids your warranty. He also said I would have to get 18" wheels w/ lift for proper clearance b/c of the newer suspension geometry. So after all is said and done he convinced me to go with 2.25" readylift. This way with diff drop, no cv damage and still under warranty. Sorry for the long post but just wanted to help out anybody thinking of lifting a 2010 taco. Also Jrobson, your truck is gonna look sweet! According to Truckin Up, he almost blew a cv joint with the Toytec ultimate lift, ouch. Sorry jrobson for using your info, but I thought it was helpful
Old 05-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
No aftermarket option simply "voids" your warranty. If you go with readylift you will regret it, did the shop happen to mention the damage spacer lifts do to your suspension plus the horrible ride? I would continue your research.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
vegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to all
Name: Jorge Edward
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
x2 better off paying for some c/o that way you can adjust them to the height you want with better ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Customs View Post
No aftermarket option simply "voids" your warranty. If you go with readylift you will regret it, did the shop happen to mention the damage spacer lifts do to your suspension plus the horrible ride? I would continue your research.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
blackphantom09 is a jewel in the roughblackphantom09 is a jewel in the roughblackphantom09 is a jewel in the roughblackphantom09 is a jewel in the rough

blackphantom09's Tacoma Gallery
I hear more praise about the Toytec ULK than the Readylift. What height did he put the Toytec lift to almost blow a cv joint?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Go with some King Coilovers. You get 1.7" of lift without an preload and if you want more just crank them down a bit to reach your desired 2.25" of lift. Youll get a super smooth ride compared to those spacers.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Wow you went to an Off Road shop and they recommended the Readylift? Wow, might want to look for a new Off Road shop somewhere away from the Mall.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If i heard correctly he said it was at 3"

Yea he also said readylift was top spacer, not preload spacer so the ride isn't affected.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
dirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to behold

dirthawker1313's Tacoma Gallery
ha ha he just blew smoke up your ass. i have a 6" procomp lift on my 09 with VSC. ive had no problems.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
vegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to allvegas1 is a name known to all
Name: Jorge Edward
vegas1's Tacoma Gallery
haha prob going to charge 1200 just to install too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICOMA View Post
Wow you went to an Off Road shop and they recommended the Readylift? Wow, might want to look for a new Off Road shop somewhere away from the Mall.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
readylift...hmmm no thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthawker1313 View Post
ha ha he just blew smoke up your ass. i have a 6" procomp lift on my 09 with VSC. ive had no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas1 View Post
haha prob going to charge 1200 just to install too!
Lets just help the guy out. He was obviously misinformed, and its not like he asked for that type of info. No need to flame.

Original Poster [OP]: I believe you were misinformed about the spacer lift. Just about the only wortwhile advice that dude has was keeping CV angles low. Spacers suck and a 6" lift wont void warranty. Look around this site and see what you like/what best suits you.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #12

Alright lets clear this up!

First off I was looking for a simple lift like 5100s because I dont do much off-road. I suggested some lifts and he said for 500 dollars he could install readylift, 1" block in rear and do an alignment!!! Is that alot?? The guy is very good just ask jrobson many others, not just a no name tryiing to make money!!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
mike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
mike686's Tacoma Gallery
exactly ive talked to pro comp and all ther techs says that the 6'' kits wont affect the cv joints except from normal wear and tear it wont blow out the first day you drive it and i would never do a spacer lift at all compared to new shocks
Old 05-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
Don't 6" lifts require the cross member to be cut? Maybe that's what he meant by losing the warranty?

Check into a good coil over front suspension. I like ICON and Fox makes a good product too. This way you can lift the truck EXACTLY as much as you want and change things as you mod. I added a front steel bumper and skid plate and the front end dropped 1". I cranked up the coil overs 1" to compensate and that kept the CV angles just like they were before I added the bumper and skid plate.

Also, all trucks have a lean toward the drivers side. You can crank the drivers side up more and level out the stance, can't do that with a standard spacer lift. Do a bunch of reading and don't skimp $$$ on the suspension components.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
First off I was looking for a simple lift like 5100s because I dont do much off-road. I suggested some lifts and he said for 500 dollars he could install readylift, 1" block in rear and do an alignment!!! Is that alot?? The guy is very good just ask jrobson many others, not just a no name tryiing to make money!!
If your not gonna Offroad much then I guess the spacer would be fine for a mall crawler. I'm not sure how much the spacer costs but the alignmnt comes in at $60-$90- and labor for front and rear, shouldn't be more than $200 in my opinion. I know there are two types of spacers and I would really look into both of them and people's reported experiences because, as he^ mentioned, it really sucks to blow money on something your not 100% happy with. I want to say that any spacer will create a harsh ride but don't quote me on that, just make sure you know what your gonna put your money into

and once it's done, DONT FORGET TO POST PICS
Old 05-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
a ready lift spacer kit WILL NOT BE STIFFER. I know some one with a kit on there dakota and he said there is a lil differance and that is only when he put on the new tires.

The readylift spacers do not go into the spring pack like most spacer kits. think about it. the spacer goes in between the strut and the frame. so it just makes the strut longer. the strut will act and feel the same as factory. the only disadvantage to the lift is that you u not be increasing your travel. but you will still have the same amount as stock and for a mall crawler thats fine.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman597 View Post
a ready lift spacer kit WILL NOT BE STIFFER. I know some one with a kit on there dakota and he said there is a lil differance and that is only when he put on the new tires.

The readylift spacers do not go into the spring pack like most spacer kits. think about it. the spacer goes in between the strut and the frame. so it just makes the strut longer. the strut will act and feel the same as factory. the only disadvantage to the lift is that you u not be increasing your travel. but you will still have the same amount as stock and for a mall crawler thats fine.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Now with the longer coilover one of two things has to happen

1. Shock is compressed
2. Lower and upper arms are more articulated to fit the longer shock in between

and, in this case it's #2 right?

In that case I would just go with the spacer. Unless you have money to
blow. I'm which case I would still go with
the spacer and send me the extra money.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #18
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
No, you are limiting your travel, making your ride worse.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
mgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mgage10 Send a message via Skype™ to mgage10
Quote:

I got my 3" Pro Comp Suspension Lift installed for $500. I love it. I don't off road that much but it's great for what I have done. I have a 2010 Taco and my CV Joints are more than fine. 4 wheel parts did the install for me.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #20
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea he also said readylift was top spacer, not preload spacer so the ride isn't affected.
The ride isn't affected on the street because you won't miss the travel your losing.

Take a top spacer lift offroad, and you're going to start breaking things very quickly.