Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Scratching my head- Coilovers - replace shocks or not?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Scratching my head- Coilovers - replace shocks or not?

OK, dumb, but quick question. reading the Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide sticky, it says, in regards to the Bislstein 5100s, "... (But please take note NO One recommends it to be used in conjunction with after market coils) This may result in damage of your suspension components."

yet on our home page, the ToyTec Coil Over Kit group buy says that they're only for the 5100s.

So what gives? Is it now OK to run aftermarket shocks on aftermarket coils?

And if one does buy the Toytec coilovers, does one have to set the 5100s at a certain height, or does the coilover provide the lift?

Thanks. I'm totally lost on whether the coilover, or the shock, is the part that is providing the extra height.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I used a set of Eibach 1.6 springs on the 5100 shocks set at .85
I would not go higher than that.
Worked fine and was not super stiff due to the springs being longer and not preloaded as much as you do with the stock springs at 2.5.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Kernel is on a distinguished road
Kernel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
I used a set of Eibach 1.6 springs on the 5100 shocks set at .85
I would not go higher than that.
Worked fine and was not super stiff due to the springs being longer and not preloaded as much as you do with the stock springs at 2.5.
What was your total lift with this? Any issues with vibrations/alignment? This is the setup I'm looking at since my ass end is 2.75 inches higher than the front.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Just about 2 1/4" Right front and 2 1/2" Left front with a 1/4" spacer for the lean compensation.

Along with the 2" AAL in the rear it did pick up a very slight 10-15 MPH vibration.
I worked out a solution with the carrier bearing drop of about 1/4".
Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Bodete is on a distinguished road
Bodete's Tacoma Gallery
After reading about all the positive comments about the eibach springs and bilstein 5100 shocks combination I bought some and finally had them installed today. I had them set to 0" which gave me about 1 1/4" lift. Wow what a huge improvement over the stock sr5 suspension. The stock coilovers are way to soft for a 4x4 truck. It corners better and handles bumps better. The truck feels firm but not stiff or harsh which I was wanting. Now I just need to get the rear TSB done in a couple of weeks.