Notices

LCA Mod

Old 05-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Protected by Glock
Vidman will become famous soon enoughVidman will become famous soon enough
Name: Rick
Vidman's Tacoma Gallery
LCA Mod

After lifting my truck and dealing with not so happy alignment numbers I decided to do something about it. Right now i have Camburg uniball UCA,s, I was stuck at 1.9 left pos caster and 2.0 right pos caster.....So not wanting to spend more money on different UCA,s i Modified the LCA,s. Now some of you might think it is not a good mod but it worked great for me..If you look at the back of the LCA, it needed to move out more towards the wheel to get more caster,but i was out of adjustment, so i removed the cams in the LCA and then you see that the cam rests in a pocket that is spot welded in 2 places. now there is a pocket on both sides of each pivot point. I only did the mod to the back pivot point. I drilled out the spot welds and removed the steel pockets. All 4 of them.I then took a rotary file in a dia grinder and hogged out the slot that is there for cams to work back and forth. The slot was about 5/8 ths wide, I made the slot about 1" wide. I ground the slot wider towards the wheel in 4 places, cleaned up the steel pockets, frame and moved the pockets over to where both slots line up and welded them all back on. So now i have just added more adjustment for my aligment. I never-seized all the hardware and put everything back together. Now the whole time i was doing this, I was at my friends 8 bay service garage. He lets me do pretty much what i want ..(very cool).Any way i gained 1 full degree in caster after the 1 hour mod. I did not take pictures while i was doing it because i didn,t have my camera with me but i took some after mod shots. you can see by the witness marks how much i moved the adjusters
Attached Thumbnails
LCA Mod-p5220447.jpg   LCA Mod-p5220449.jpg  
Old 05-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting aproach....Good job!
Old 05-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Protected by Glock
Vidman's Tacoma Gallery
I wish i had taken pics of the mod while i was doing all the cutting and grinding so everyone could see the whole process but it is really a simple thing to do.My biggest problem is that i am not afraid to start cutting and welding on my truck as long as it comes out the way i thought it would. and it worked out great
Old 05-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I think you should run a bead the full length of the bracket. Do it in short runs, so as to not heat the metal too much. Some folks had the tabs bend, and a full bead could help reinforce them.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Protected by Glock
Vidman's Tacoma Gallery
I did think about skip welding the whole piece but i thought if this does not work or if some weird thing happens i will kick myself . Now i have to grind off all the weld...I,m going to give it a month and see and if everything thing works out i will glue them on real good
Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
good mod dude, really like it! wish i had the skills and the resources...